eBay ".ca" versus ".com"

noblewoodtreasures
Community Member
What are the pros and cons of listing on the eBay.ca site versus the eBay.com one? We list most everything on .ca (except for store items), and have a .ca store.

But I note that many Canadian sellers have .com stores and list their items on the .com. I also noted that one of the criteria for qualifying for the PayPal buyer protection plan is that your listing has to be made on the .com.

For example, does it make a difference in the number of hits you get on a listing?

Comments?

Tom
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

eBay ".ca" versus ".com"

firedept10
Community Member
Tom,

I have always listed on .com because at the time I joined Ebay, .ca was not around. I am not sure if there is any advantage because if the buyer searches in items available to their country, everything will show. I sell to mostly US buyers so I choose to keep on the .com side of things. But with the rising loonie I am getting a large proportion of Canadian buyers now. Which leads me to believe buyers are searching everything available to them not just by .com, .ca, .au and so on. I also have a .ca store but it still shows up on the .com site quite readily. The reason I have a .ca store is because it is free to us Canadian. As soon as I am being charged by eBay for it, them I will take it .com. Hope this helps and some of the other people here will surely help some more.

Don
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

eBay ".ca" versus ".com"

chrispenner
Community Member
QUOTE "The reason I have a .ca store is because it is free to us Canadian. As soon as I am being charged by eBay for it, them I will take it .com"

I had no idea it was free to Canadians? is there no fee's at all?
thanks!
Kathleen
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

eBay ".ca" versus ".com"

muminlaw
Community Member
Tom, I too list on .com because it was the only option when I joined eBay. I stay on .com because I've invested a few dollars and a lot of time learning my auction management program, and it only lists on .com. It not only lists for me but looks after all the post-auction stuff and keeps track of my bookkeeping for me as well (a real necessity for someone as lazy and disorganized as I am!).

Glenda
Glenda

Click here to go to my Store
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

eBay ".ca" versus ".com"

www-labels4less-com
Community Member
99% of my customers are in the U.S. I do everything I can to make it less obvious i'm in Canada. When you list on Ebay.com all you have to do is say you will ship to Canada (check box) and your listing will show up on Ebay.CA when a search is done.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

eBay ".ca" versus ".com"

treasure-pot
Community Member
labels, as I found out the hard way, when Canadians list on .com and select "Ship to the USA only" your auctions will still appear on .ca searches.

It's a lesson I learned when I sold exclusively to the USA - I would get nasty emails from Canadians all the time asking why I bothered to list on .ca if I wasn't prepared to sell in Canada. Of course, I have never listed with .ca so I logged out, went to the .ca site and did a search. Sure enough... there were my auctions.

Bill

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

eBay ".ca" versus ".com"

www-labels4less-com
Community Member
Okay I understand now. So If one has a registered address in Canada it will show up on Ebay.CA anyway. Even though I'm in Canada I really don't want to sell to Canadians. Freight is more expensive for comparible cross country service and I WITHOUT EXCEPTION have more trouble with my Canadian customers than U.S. customers. There's also the Tax thing. When I sell to Canadians I absorb the GST and alter the selling price and show the balance in the GST area of my invoice. I don't want to bother mentioning GST in my listings.
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

eBay ".ca" versus ".com"

firedept10
Community Member
Kathleen,

Here is the link in regards to eBay stores for Canadians. Hope it helps you.

http://pages.ebay.ca/storefronts/pricing.html

Don
Message 8 of 8
latest reply