50% UPS Brokerage fee????

kazoobers
Community Member
I bought an item that was $99.95 US. The Seller charged me $16.00 for UPS standard shipping to Canada.

The package arrived and here is a Brokerage C.O.D. due to UPS for $54.17. What a rip! The seller said nothing about additional fees due IN ADDITION to the $16.00 I paid him for the shipping. By looking under Help in eBay, I see there is nothing I can do about it.
The money's the same, whether you earn it or scam it.
Bobby Heenan
Message 1 of 950
latest reply
949 REPLIES 949

UPS is a courier

A courier will broker your item in to the country

If they sent via postal service, Canada Post only charges $5 to broker it in

Yes this is how it is done

Yes they should have sent it by POSTAL SERVICE

Has nothing to do with "to the border" - duh - has everything to do with the brokerage papers to get it into the country

Photobucket

Photobucket

Message 561 of 950
latest reply

zippu
Community Member

OK! OK! ENOUGH ALREADY! OK! UPS CHARGES A LOT!...WOWIE!! HEY GUYS, LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT PACKAGE!

Message 562 of 950
latest reply

ken_vickie
Community Member
Well I just got a notice for an item I paid $58.00 for(Inc shipping) The UPS 'Brokerage" charge is $38.02. And NO this is not legal. They have already been paid shipping charges. Look I have a business, If I give my customer a price for something and AFTER I do the work tell them the price is now 70% more because I had to fill out an invoice, how long do you think I would stay in business??? The fact that they can hold your item hostage makes this business practice illegal. And it is being challenged in court. UPS is getting filthy rich RAPING Canadian customers. I will pay the "scam" charge with a check and I will then put a stop payment on that check. Something that is totally legal. They charged me for a service I did NOT ask for. How could I ??? I didn't know it was coming from UPS !!
Message 563 of 950
latest reply

canuckaloo
Community Member
They have already been paid shipping charges.

and now they want brokerage for bringing the parcel into Canada for you

and the government wants their taxes

Message 564 of 950
latest reply

ken_vickie
Community Member
I have no problem with the taxes...But the "brokerage" scam I will NOT pay. And the REAL duty should be 6%. And that is straight from the Canada Border services website. NOT more than 50%. Let them take me to court...Stand up people DON'T PAY this is a scam !!! It's about time we started to stand up for ourselves and stop letting big business steal our hard earned money !!! ENOUGH !!!
Message 565 of 950
latest reply

canuckaloo
Community Member
And the REAL duty should be 6%

were you charged duty, or brokerage + taxes?

Message 566 of 950
latest reply

duty might very well be 6%

if the item is made outside of North America ... duty is assigned as per already published rates ...

brokerage however is another thing entirely

and if you don't pay the brokerage .. i'm guessing you'll not see your item...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Message 567 of 950
latest reply

ken_vickie
Community Member
Well I called them again today and got yet another story...here is their cost breakdown

6.85 taxes
19.75 brokerage
And now that its a COD there is a $5.00 COD fee and a $6.42 fee for processing the COD !!!!Un-freaking believable...I asked the woman on the phone if there was a fee for me talking to her !!
It is incomprehensible to me that a company can just make up fees as they go and people pay this ! So is it OK for me to make up a fee for $35.00 for dealing with UPS...I'll call it the U Piece of $hit (UPS) fee !!!
Message 568 of 950
latest reply

patchwork_monkey
Community Member
It is incomprehensible to me that a company can just make up fees as they go

UPS provide a service and charge fees for that service.
What is so difficult to understand there?

I asked the woman on the phone if there was a fee for me talking to her !!

I hope you at least had the couth to apologise to her before you hung up. She's just an employee and does not deserve to be spoken to like that.

Photobucket
Message 569 of 950
latest reply

so... refuse it.. let it go back to the sender....

we have given all kinds of advice and warnings on these forums now for the past few years to avoid having anything shipped via courier ...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Message 570 of 950
latest reply

sysfixr
Community Member
but! but! somebody should be looking out for me!

somebody should have told me!
somebody else should take responsibility for my actions, and be held accountable for my ignorance!

somebody!

anybody!

anybody?
Purple for Peace!
Message 571 of 950
latest reply

we told ya

not our fault ya just learned to read when ups knocked on the door...

:-D

Photobucket

Photobucket

Message 572 of 950
latest reply

ken_vickie
Community Member
Well...well...It is interesting to see the wide range of replies. A little more information today. I have now had 3 different people from UPS tell me 3 different lies. Today I was told that the cost was a government levy. Pure BS.

Look, I agree that I 'should' have been aware that a company that was paid shipping and handling fees was gonna rip me off for a bogus 'make us rich fee', but I guess I just didn't think of it....and why would I.

Look...If you go buy groceries and you get up to the cashier and you've done your math and know that you should have about $58.00 worth of groceries and the teller says you owe $58.00 plus a $38.00 fee for her touching the till would you pay !!? Of course not !! Especially if that fee was NEVER mentioned earlier.

1. UPS had my contact info and NEVER contacted me to ask me to act as my 'broker'

2. I never entered into any agreement authorizing UPS to act as such.

3. UPS did not provide me with an option to broker this package on my own.

4. UPS did NOT give me any foreknowledge of the impending charge.

5. UPS's brokerage service constitutes an unsolicited service within the meaning of section 11 of the Business Practices and Consumer Protection Act (BPCPA). Sorry folks...IT's LAW !!!!

6. UPS has violated section 4(1)(b) of that same act !!! see points 1 through 4...IT's LAW !!!

So don't give me the BS that UPS is in the right to do this. They are breaking MANY laws and getting away with it.

Never mind the fact that once they have your PAID FOR item in their grasp they then extort monies from you to gain that of which you ALREADY paid them for to deliver...Well thats just wrong people !!!!
Message 573 of 950
latest reply

you're not bringing your groceries across the border...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Message 574 of 950
latest reply

bump2k
Community Member
If you insist on using a courier service across the border into Canada (ie buy from a US seller who states up front that they use UPS or Fedex) have it shipped overnight. In 99% of all shipments it will be delivered without further action on the part of customs or brokerage fees.
Message 575 of 950
latest reply

patchwork_monkey
Community Member
Look...If you go buy groceries and you get up to the cashier and you've done your math and know that you should have about $58.00 worth of groceries and the teller says you owe $58.00 plus a $38.00 fee for her touching the till would you pay !!? Of course not !!

To use your analogy:
If, instead of going to the grocery store yourself, you had those groceries delivered to your door, would you expect to pay for that service?
Or would you expect the delivery company to do it for nothing?

Photobucket
Message 576 of 950
latest reply

bump2k
Community Member
Patch, your analogy ends without completing that trajectory - the delivery company is being paid, no question about that, but they are adding a charge for reading the grocery list and processing the value of the contents. They have decided that you live too high on the hog(so to speak) and have levied a charge based on the decision that you should be eating bacon from your own backyard.
Message 577 of 950
latest reply

sysfixr
Community Member
well here we again comparing apples to pineapples

ups and every other courier company is PRIVATELY run

National Post Offices are not

PO's have set fee's, courier co's can charge whatever they feel like

You can type til your fingers fall off, it means nothing

It is NOT up to your seller or anyone else to do YOUR homework as an importer
period
Purple for Peace!
Message 578 of 950
latest reply

patchwork_monkey
Community Member
They have decided that you live too high on the hog(so to speak) and have levied a charge based on the decision that you should be eating bacon from your own backyard.

I have no idea how you managed to infer any of that from a UPS invoice.

In your righteous indignation you are simply gathering a good head of steam and adding to your list of reasons why you don't think you should have to pay.

Pay, or don't pay, it's up to you, but I think you are devoting way too much time and effort to this.

Photobucket
Message 579 of 950
latest reply

ocubieo
Community Member
hi, i got a letter the other day from R.M.S saying that i owe them for a UPS brokerage fee and that if i "fail to comply with this payment demand will result in further follection action which may result in unfavorable credit exposure."
i was wondering if any of you guys have ever gotten it and if you guys know what would happen if I don't pay it? like, are they gonna hunt me down or would i HAVE to pay it?
thanks!
Message 580 of 950
latest reply