Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Re: Removing the Global Shipping Program

Ok - I was not factually correct but you agree that:

"The money does not go to PB or eBay, it goes to various Cdn governments. PST, GST, HST are applied which normally would not be applied. What is not applied to gov't taxes is consumed with the double shipping costs."

So collection of those monies is easily interpreted as- bogus.

Both sellers checked out the discussion boards and arrived at the same conclusion - they might be losing business. That was really the point.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 601 of 6,171
latest reply

Bogus is mis-applied. The money goes to costs which are not bogus as the costs actually exist.

Bogus means fake, fraudulent, pretended. Your use of the word is wrong.

I meant to say double shipping, costs. Shipping costs are not doubled, they are increased with double handling.

Please refrain from unsubstantiated hyperbole.

I saw a remark that Rodney had made in that GSP has caused more American sellers to sell, internationally, which was the entire point. many sellers are in the programme and do not know it. To accuse them of "bogus" is disingenuous. They are merely passing along costs they do not realize are high.
Photobucket
Message 602 of 6,171
latest reply

Definitely losing their canadian customers......... as soon as i see the extra charges, i dont even consider putting it on my watch list (^^) right on, i hope they get rid of this.... ebay should keep things as it was, if anything, make it easier and cheaper for sellers to ship things!!!!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 603 of 6,171
latest reply

if anything, make it easier and cheaper for sellers to ship things!

It is already easy and fairly cheap, it is just that most sellers don't or won't believe it.

When they do give it a go they are so obsessed with 'seller protection' they want to send items in personal armoured vans, because it is so  dangerous.

The funny thing is that to most of the world population, they are the foreigners themselves.

Message 604 of 6,171
latest reply

Interested to know what was the item and why was it not sent and what was the resolution?

Message 605 of 6,171
latest reply

The global shipping program, or Pitney Bowles is a load of **bleep**. I think them double charging us is the biggest scam ever. Up on canada we only charge customers the one time shipping charge. Who needs. Middle man to mail items. I think Pitney Bowles should take a hike and stop trying to take their cut.
Message 606 of 6,171
latest reply

Got my refund from Ebay from my item today.  Sigh.

They refunded my money.  It shows information received (Canada Post) but they never received the item.
So Canada Post can't confirm they ever got it.  I got my money back but...curious where my item is.

Message 607 of 6,171
latest reply

chikcro
Community Member

As a long time buyer, and occasional canadian seller, on EBAY, I will no longer frequent EBAY due to the G.S.P. implementaion.  Over and above already steep shipping charges from US to CANADA, this additional charge(s) and often inapplicable (used goods) and overcharged charges by a customs broker, PB, (brokerage fees), it makes no sense to shop for goods any longer on EBAY.

Message 608 of 6,171
latest reply

@afantiques wrote:

if anything, make it easier and cheaper for sellers to ship things!

It is already easy and fairly cheap, it is just that most sellers don't or won't believe it.

When they do give it a go they are so obsessed with 'seller protection' they want to send items in personal armoured vans, because it is so  dangerous.

The funny thing is that to most of the world population, they are the foreigners themselves.

It may be easier for US sellers but it certainly is not cheaper for International buyers..What was over-looked by ebay when this was on the table is, nobody really thought about the buyers.

All they were thinking about was how to get more US sellers to ship international, therefore more sales and more money for both seller and Ebay.

Nobody stood up and said without buyers this will not work.

Now that's its been a disaster , instead of dropping it , they will try an incentive , like lowering final value fees for buyers using GSP,which still would not do it for me, as its just more then the higher cost..

I don't want my expensive item, being opened and re-packed for whatever reason, I don't want it going from state to state, and then back again to another state, and i certainly don't want it to get lost.., and then spending my valued time emailing , for weeks or months trying to get my money back...

Message 609 of 6,171
latest reply

"and often inapplicable (used goods)"

???

This has nothing to do with GSP but I wonder what you mean with that comment.

Are you under the impression "used goods" are not being taxed?

Used goods are taxable (HST/GST/PST) the same way as new goods are.  Go to Value Village where you find a large selection of used goods and consumption taxes will apply at the cash register - rate based on your province (from 5% in AB to 15% in NS).

The same will apply for large "used goods" such as used cars to small "used goods" such as postage stamps.

Message 610 of 6,171
latest reply

Hi rosscd57. 

Import fees/etc. are a complicated issue, and come up on the boards quite a bit. I have done some digging on the subject in the past, including some extensive back and forth with Pitney Bowes. Based on the info they provided I was able to provide some answers, and then some additional follow-up answers.

I'll paste the link below, to a separate thread w/ quite a bit of info. My response is #56; there are some follow-up questions and then I posted an additional response. 

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Questions-about-the-Global-Shipping-Program/m-p/159659#M84...

Hope this helps.

--Ben

Message 611 of 6,171
latest reply

Hi otmshanks.

I just posted some info on a separate thread, about this same topic. Allow me to plagiarize myself ....

Import fees/etc. are a complicated issue, and come up on the boards quite a bit. I have done some digging on the subject in the past, including some extensive back and forth with Pitney Bowes. Based on the info they provided I was able to provide some answers, and then some additional follow-up answers.

I'll paste the link below, to a separate thread w/ quite a bit of info. My response is #56; there are some follow-up questions and then I posted an additional response. 

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Questions-about-the-Global-Shipping-Program/m-p/159659#M84...

Hope this helps.

--Ben

Message 612 of 6,171
latest reply

"Import fees/etc. are a complicated issue"

Ben, actually "import fees" should not be a complicated issue.

Canadians import regularly from the USA and overseas and understand the concept of paying tax (sometimes) when the goods are cleared through Canada Customs and delivered through the Post Office (plus $9.95 handling fee) or by courier (generally higher brokerage fee).

The problem the way I see it was created by eBay, PayPal and Pitney-Bowes by hiding the information.

Most questions would be quickly answered if eBay instructed Pitney-Bowes (your contractor) to give buyers full disclosures when payment is processed through PayPal. It is that simple.

Full disclosure means just that: tell buyers how much is collected from them for tax(es) (GST/HST/PST) and duty (if applicable) and how much is the service charge earned by Pitney-Bowes.  That is not that complicated, is it?

One of the problems we have right now is that Pitney-Bowes sometimes hides their service charge with the shipping charge (usually when the item is worth less than Cdn$20) and sometimes their service charge is incorporated with tax (GST/HST/PST) (and duty if applicable) when the value exceeds Cdn$ 20 leading Pitney-Bowes to calculate and collect the tax (GST/HST/PST) payable.

All that nonsense could be avoided by being upfront about the exact amounts charged and their distribution (shipping, duty, tax, service charge).

Why not?  Is is that difficult for eBay to instruct its contractor to provide the information upfront, instead of hiding it.  It will not change the amount payable by the buyer but we will all know where the money goes.

Message 613 of 6,171
latest reply

It is not complicated. Canadians are being charged taxes that the government does not collect.
Photobucket
Message 614 of 6,171
latest reply

It must be complicated, we've had lots of people here who think "free trade" meant there are no taxes, 25 years after the fact

Message 615 of 6,171
latest reply

Customs and import fees are often not charged when using Canada post because Canada post is Goverment owned business ..

WORDS FROM A CANADA POST REP

Message 616 of 6,171
latest reply

Personally I refuse to buy anything from Sellers that use the Global Shipping program either for personal or business use. The shipping and fees are usually much higher with GSP that the actual cost to ship the item.

Message 617 of 6,171
latest reply

99 out of 100 parcels come through customs without any charges. Global shipping charges every parcel and the charges are more than if it went through customs. I just purchased a parcel with Global shipping. Shipping was $12.75. Global added another $12.60.  Also the last parcel I had shipped with Global shipping, they opened it and didn't repackage it the way they found it. It was a figurine with long beautiful fingers and nails. They just laid it back on the top and taped the cover back on. It arrived with 5 broken fingers.

Message 618 of 6,171
latest reply

"Maybe the seller changed it but that is not a GSP item."

Your correct, it was removed. Shipping to Canada is also gone. Canadian can't win no matter what.

Message 619 of 6,171
latest reply

@angus_coin_shop wrote:

Shipping to Canada is also gone. Canadians can't win no matter what.

If there were no such thing as the GSP, it's likely that this seller wouldn't have listed this item with shipping to Canada (or anywhere else other than the United States) and you'd never have found it in a search.

Having said that, I do have to admit to being irked when I see items that are obviously of more interest to those outside of the United States than they are to most Americans, yet the seller doesn't offer international shipping.

Angus, have you tried sending the seller a message asking if they'd consider shipping the coin to Canada by a reasonably priced shipping method?

Message 620 of 6,171
latest reply