How to report sellers who are misrepresenting their items?

How does one report someone who does this to Ebay? I've encountered a seller who continuously misrepresents both the condition grade and catalog value of his collectible items (stamps) in his listing title and description. It is deliberate, misleading, and pollutes searches when people do this.

I've contacted the seller three times but he refuses to change his practice. 

However it appears the only way for me to report this to Ebay would be to buy the item first, then put in a claim, which is silly. Surely there is another solution?

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

"NO.  That is not what I wrote."

I know that's not what you wrote. I didn't say you wrote that.

You said "The seller is overdescribing the set" (in other words, "misrepresenting" the set), and "I do not see anything to report in this listing."

I've apparently misunderstood you. Please clarify.

Message 21 of 40
latest reply

Can an Ebay representative please comment on this? Why is it impossible to report a seller who is misrepresenting or misdescribing their product when the listing is active? Why is it that the only way to hold a buyer accountable to this is to actually BUY it first, and then put in a claim?

Message 22 of 40
latest reply

The misrepresentation you are so upset about is entirely subjective.  If a description is poor or wrong, don't buy the item.

There is no way a random ebay rep could fairly adjudicate on the merits of a stamp description, and I presume you don't want items removed merely because some random person takes a dislike to them.

Message 23 of 40
latest reply

I too am getting more and more frustrated with misrepresentation of item, just to railroad the search.  Today I searched for 32gb memory stick.  The results had numerous, as their were to many to review, that had 32gb in the item title, but no listing in the memory capacity selection drop down.  I did review many of one particular seller whose listing were all the same.  NO 32GB!

I agree, there needs to be a process to eliminate these sellers from the market place, because they are polluting it, making it way to time consuming.

Ebay needs to look after their market place by providing and enforcing their own rules, eliminating these type of sellers.  Also, they is no accountability for Ebay to the members providing reports.  It sure would be nice and prudent for feedback on the outcomes for reports submitted.

Message 24 of 40
latest reply

"I too am getting more and more frustrated with misrepresentation of item, just to railroad the search.  Today I searched for 32gb memory stick.  The results had numerous, as their were to many to review, that had 32gb in the item title, but no listing in the memory capacity selection drop down.  I did review many of one particular seller whose listing were all the same.  NO 32GB!"

The issue you describe is somewhat different from the OP. The OP issue seems to be a subjective one and harder to police. And seller in that case may not get many takers as to collectors, seller would be obviously inept.

Your situation though is one I find annoying as well. I hate sellers who just blindly fish - casting a wide net by including terms in their description that have nothing to do with the offered product. They end up in my search, cluttering it with junk.

I wonder though, in your specific case... You mention drop-down, as though they offer a few diff products in one common listing. Is it possible the item you want was actually available in the past, but is now sold out? And has thus been removed from drop-down?

Message 25 of 40
latest reply

Unfortunately, once one has purchased an item and received it. The item listing no longer contains the "report seller" button.

Therefore, if you receive an item, as I have done, that is defective (I paid full price for an item listed as "new"; the zipper is broken),

then you cannot "report" the seller if that seller has listed only that one item.

This is distressing and unsatisfactory, because the item was misrepresented ; it was new, but the zipper (which is *essential* for a winter parka) was either defective or broken.

Moreover, the seller's initial account set up made it impossible to pay them, which slowed down purchase (and shipment) of the parka considerably.

I will replace the zipper, because the parka is useful to me. But the seller should not be allowed (much less encouraged by the non-reporting of their advertising) to mis-represent the item(s) they sell on ebay.

Betiberg

Message 26 of 40
latest reply

I completely agree with you, and I find myself in the same situation as you as of today, when an item arrived, advertised as "new with tags," with a broken zipper. Betiberg
Message 27 of 40
latest reply

Hold your cursor over "My eBay" on the top right of the eBay page.  On your summary page, click on Resolution Center near the bottom right and follow the prompts - in your case "I received an item not as described" or words to that effect..  Or on your Purchase History page, find that item and click on the drop-down menu and click on "Contact Seller" and let them know the problem.

Message 28 of 40
latest reply

and it'd take a month of Sundays just to really learn that one article about 'fine'.

Yes.

And that is why there are expertising services like those run by the Royal Philatelic Society or the Vincent Graves Green Foundation. And private expertisers like Sergio Sismondo. Expertisers and dealers have put in several months of Sundays learning the trade and most see millions of stamps every year they are in business.

It's not unusual for high value (or rare, which is not the same thing) items to be sold with a requirement for a expert certificate being obtained.

In buying estates, dealers like DH (and pierrelebel before he retired from active dealing, I suppose) constantly run into material that was oversold to the unwary collector.

My husband has several times seen the spot in an album decorated by a picture of the stamp clipped out of a magazine or catalogue. One can only hope that it was done by the collector filling spaces. It's one reason why dealers doing appraisals ask that the owner remain during the appraisal. To protect the dealer, not the seller.

Even someone who would not describe herself as anything but vaguely aware of condition and grading, will refer potential investors* in stamps at the very least to read the pages at the front of the Scott Catalogues which give a fast and simple overview of what the catalogue is actually saying about the stamps. If he also reads what is meant by grading, bonus!

And then there are the sellers, in every category, who refuse to use grading standards or who use them incorrectly, whether with clean hands or no.

And 'grading creep', like the term XF which came into the Canadian market from the USA about 20 years ago.

A lot comes down to 'caveat emptor'.

I agree with both the OP and pierre on this question.

Certainly, eBay should be dealing with sellers who blatantly misrepresent their goods. Including stamp sellers and Asian sellers of counterfeit Apple-like earbuds.

It's a hassle, but of course an unhappy buyer does have the right to return poorly described items through the Resolution Centre.

And eBay does restrict or even terminate selling accounts with many disputes.

Still, the photo shows up even on a mobile device and the intelligent buyer should be comparing the picture to the written description and asking questions or hitting the everpresent backbutton.

We have the right to be grownups and make our own decisions, no matter how faulty.

*For the record, stamps are not an investment, stamps are a hobby. Like golf or rocketry. Don't go into collecting stamps to make money.

Message 29 of 40
latest reply

Like this :

I bought :  

Super High Power 40X60 Portable HD OPTICS BAK4 Night Vision Monocular Telescope

goodtops165(149044)

This item have no Night Vision capability.

BEWARE of similar products!

The report item button and  feedback are also tools you can use.

Message 30 of 40
latest reply

Therefore, if you receive an item, as I have done, that is defective ...

then you cannot "report" the seller if that seller has listed only that one item.

This is a classic Item Not As Described Dispute.

You have 30 days from delivery to open the Dispute in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.

The seller is required to send you return postage.

If she doesn't, you are refunded.

If she does, you send back the item, and when Confirmation of Delivery show she has it back, you are refunded.

This is all done by robots and is very efficient.

Message 31 of 40
latest reply

I didn't notice that this is a

ZOMBIE THREAD

The problem with such threads is that they often have out of date and misleading information.

If you have a problem, start a new thread.

Message 32 of 40
latest reply

Sorry then. Problem's fixed anyway. It doesn"t show in the canadian listings last time I checked; though it still selling under the same false description.

thanks
Message 33 of 40
latest reply

You opened the Item Not As Described Dispute and got your refund?

Message 34 of 40
latest reply

I looked at this page but the boxed options did not offer a description of the issue.
I just told her that I was keeping the item unless she replaced it by one that fitted the description under which she's been selling it.
I'm not fighting ovver 32$ noway, I'll just consider it as 32$ of experience.
She messaged me last night that she have refunded me but I got nothing from paypal or my bank yet.
She's quite a peculiar seller.
Anyway, I'll started a new thread later if I get something new about this
purchase.

Thank you, have a nice weekend.
Message 35 of 40
latest reply

NEVER ACCEPT AN OFFER OF A REPLACEMENT. IT EITHER WILL NOT ARRIVE OR WILL BE NO BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL

If it was described as having Night Vision and does not have Night Vision it is simply NOT AS DESCRIBED.

Don't overthink.

You've communicated with the seller.

Skip the suggestion that you Contact the Seller, ask eBay to step in and Escalate to a Claim.

If she does not send you return postage (if she is outside Canada, using Paypal's Send Money service is easiest) you get refunded and do not have to return the item.

It would be polite to send her this to help her decide how much return postage she sends.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Message 36 of 40
latest reply

"NEVER ACCEPT AN OFFER OF A REPLACEMENT. IT EITHER WILL NOT ARRIVE OR WILL BE NO BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL"

I kind of expected this the minute I laid eyes on her freaking Hong Kong location. It the second time I do buisiness in China... Its the last; I've been unhappy both times.
The item she sent me though has been sent from a postal box in Missisauga Ontario by a Mr. Li and have been shipped with such lousiness It told any buyer not to buy there never ever again.
If I do this; can I end up with a citrus feedback myself?
I never gave her my email; all her 'dramatic' messages have been sent through ebay.
Message 37 of 40
latest reply

Message 38 of 40
latest reply

her freaking Hong Kong location....sent from a postal box in Missisauga Ontario by a Mr. Li 

Well, that sounds like dropshipping.

The seller is in one location and the supplier/shipper is in another.

Usually it is a Canadian seller and an Asian shipper.

Poor packaging is a good reason for poor feedback.

The most effective feedback is calm and factual.

Poorly packed no night vision capacity shipped from Canada for example

It also makes return shipping (to Mississauga) much cheaper, although again, the seller should be paying return shipping on Not As Described items.

Don't leave feedback until the Dispute is completed.

Message 39 of 40
latest reply

Hey everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 40 of 40
latest reply