How to report sellers who are misrepresenting their items?

How does one report someone who does this to Ebay? I've encountered a seller who continuously misrepresents both the condition grade and catalog value of his collectible items (stamps) in his listing title and description. It is deliberate, misleading, and pollutes searches when people do this.

I've contacted the seller three times but he refuses to change his practice. 

However it appears the only way for me to report this to Ebay would be to buy the item first, then put in a claim, which is silly. Surely there is another solution?

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

There is a "Report" button in every listing.  Use it report misrepresentation to eBay.

Message 2 of 40
latest reply

I did that, but there is no way of explaining what the misrepresentation is. That leaves Ebay staff to try to figure out what part of the listing is the problem. Unless someone has some specialized knowledge about the items in question, they're not going to know what the problem is.

Message 3 of 40
latest reply

I should add that there is no category in the reporting tree for "misrepresentation" so I can't actually do what you say.

Message 4 of 40
latest reply

To report misrepresentation within a listing, select

- Listing Practice

- Inappropriate item description

Message 5 of 40
latest reply

Yes, but the subcategories of "inappropriate item description" gives me these 3 options only:

- not hosted on Ebay

- profanity, obscenity, vulgar language

- publish contact information

It is none of these, so which do I select? I can't submit without selecting one of these.

Message 6 of 40
latest reply

Use any of them - it does not really matter.

The key here is to get the listing to eBay's attention.

The alternative - if you have time on your hands and the matter is important to you - is to contact Customer Support (link on top of the page at right).

Message 7 of 40
latest reply

I will do as you suggest, but I really do not have much confidence it will be effective. I'm fairly certain once they see that my complaint has no merit they'll toss it aside and go on to other things.

Thanks.

Message 8 of 40
latest reply

"a seller who continuously misrepresents both the condition grade and catalog value of his collectible items (stamps) in his listing title and description."

Could you give a specific example?

Message 9 of 40
latest reply

Sure, but I don't believe I can provide the actual item link according to forum rules, can I?

An example would be a listing entitled "Canada stamps #100-105 VF $250 catalog value"

The seller is claiming that stamps #100-105 are in Very Fine condition and have a catalogue value of $250.

Stamps are graded XF (extra fine), VF (very fine), and F (fine), with catalogues imparting values to each stamp based on its grade. So an XF stamp might be worth $100, a VF specimen worth $60, and a F copy only $15.

The grade of very fine requires certain conditions to be met according to universally accepted standards. So for instance, the centering of the stamp between the perforations must be highly symmetrical to achieve a VF grade. A severely lopsided stamp does not meet the VF grade.

Suppose #105 in the lot is worth $200 if VF, but only worth $60 if F (fine).

And suppose that #105 is severely lopsided which renders it only Fine in grade. Not only #105, but #103 and #104 too. So the actual condition of the stamps is misrepresented, and so is the CV of the stamps because they are only worth about $100.

Obviously there is that gray area in between where experts might argue about the grade, but in this case I have avoided critiquing any stamps in those proverbial gray areas. These are pretty cut and dried.

Message 10 of 40
latest reply

"#100-105 VF $250 catalog value...""

???  Mixing Quebec and Admiral issue?

Why don't you use a actual example, without mentioning the seller but copying information from an actual title and listing description.

Does the description specify the catalogue being used?  Scott?  Unitrade? Stanley Gibbons?  Michel?

Message 11 of 40
latest reply

I have never heard of coin type grades for stamps. FU fine used, UMM, unmounted mint, lightly hinged, own gum, lots of descriptive terms. Maybe it's a Canadian thing.

I'd have thought a stamp crooked between perfs would be a valuable error.

No one takes any notice of catalogue values anyway, except as a very rough guide to rarity.

Already the subject is controversial. How could you expect an ebay employee with no knowledge of stamps to form a useful opinion?

Message 12 of 40
latest reply

Of course stamps are graded.

Take a look at the Unitrade Catalogue of Canadian Stamps and you will find several grades for early stamps:

For example, a mint Five Cents Beaver issued in 1859 will be priced at:

$750 in Very Fine condition (used - cancelled - stamp $50.00)

$350 in Fine condition (used - cancelled - stamp $15.00)

$100 in Very Good condition (used - cancelled - stamp $7.50)

Now, if the mint stamp still has original gum, add 150% to value shown above for mint stamp.

Message 13 of 40
latest reply

You must do it differently in Canada.

British collectors make up their own minds.

Please don't tell me there are grading services for stamps, like the USAians have for coins. Say it ain't so!

Message 14 of 40
latest reply

Even the British do grade stamps.  From the largest stamp house in the UK:

http://www.stanleygibbons.com/stanleygibbons/view/content/sg_stamp_guide

Message 15 of 40
latest reply

Indeed, Fine is used to mean 'as good as it gets for the issue', and it'd take a month of Sundays just to really learn that one article about 'fine'.

Stuff is either 'fine' or flawed in some way. No EF or VF here.

Message 16 of 40
latest reply

Dunno, guess I could have done that, didn't think you knew anything about stamps and cat #'s were meaningless anyway. 

The actual issues are Unitrade 89-95 with the listing titled "Edward VII (Complete Set) VF Used CV $243.50" and the description same.

89-90 could be VF, 91-92 possibly F-VF if I'm being generous (some sloppy perfs), but 93-95 are definitely only F

The description does not specify which catalogue is being used. I've asked the seller to clarify but he has not responded. 

If it was one listing I probably wouldn't care, but many of his listings are like this.

Message 17 of 40
latest reply

Yes, the seller is overdescribing the set when claiming VF.

However, with a starting price below 10% of stated catalogue value, potential buyers decide how much the set is worth to them.

Frankly, I do not see anything to report in this listing.

Buyers looking for VF stamps will take a quick look at the image and hit the back button.  Buyers looking to fill these spaces in their stamp albums at a bargain price may be interested.

Message 18 of 40
latest reply

So if I understand you correctly, you are saying that it is acceptable for a seller to misdescribe their item, as long as the photo allows buyers to see for themselves, and as long as there is a really low starting price.

I don't get that.

To me, that's like advertising a New PS3, but then showing pictures of an obviously used PS3 with a really low starting price. 

It's great way to get more viewers to my listing, but fundamentally dishonest and against Ebay policy, even if it is obvious to a potential buyer what I am actually selling.

The fact that I can chose to buy or ignore, or that the item may be a bargain, is irrelevant.

Message 19 of 40
latest reply

"you are saying that it is acceptable for a seller to misdescribe their item,"

NO.  That is not what I wrote.

Message 20 of 40
latest reply