Why can't we delete our threads and posts?

All in the title. Why can't we delete our threads and posts on this forum? 

I would like to dissociate my selling account from my community activities, for personal and business reasons, but weirdly we are not allowed. Ebay should have an easy understanding of it and allow it

I tried once to request a post delete, but i've been ignored by moderation. Is there any way to have a fresh start in our posting history, except starting over a new selling account? Which would be pretty drastic as solution 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

You could start a new ID and only use it for posting.

You've seen several of those giving advice over the past year or more.

The one time that "anonymous" ID is not useful, is when you have a problem. Then being able to see the account in question can help the busybodies Posters, offering advice.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

"I would like to dissociate my selling account from my community activities, for personal and business reasons, but weirdly we are not allowed. Ebay should have an easy understanding of it and allow it"

Why should they, if you post online standby your words and statements...

Shortly, you will need a Citizen ID to access the internet, you know it will work with your social credit score under your true identity. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Why should they, if you post online standby your words and statements...

Mainly because 99.9% of social medias and forums allow it, and that this is a very basic feature. Ebay is business oriented and knowing posts could hurt reputation, incitative to trouble or whatever at any point, they should allow it even more. Posting should at least not be archived publicly

You could start a new ID and only use it for posting.

You've seen several of those giving advice over the past year or more.

It's too late at this point. I guess i'll need to start a new selling account and keep this one for posting. Which is dumb cause i would lose all my work and customers. This is basically another reason we should be allowed to delete our stuff

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I don't think you can have posts removed once they are out there. Just like we have to be careful  "what we put out there" in our personal lives (once we've hit send, there's no going back!) but I don't think it is something you need to worry about posting here though. I find posts here slip further and further down the line quite quickly. Sometimes I want to check back on something I remember seeing and can't even find it....it's long down the line. It will be buried below the thousands of other posts! Buyers or anyone looking at your items won't see anything you've posted here.

As femmefan suggests you could start another ID just for posting but you wouldn't be able to get direct help based on your items (which is sometimes handy).

I have a buyer who uses three separate completely different user ID's when he purchases. It's the same guy, same address just different ID's (it's not my business why so I've never asked), maybe people selling completely different items do it separately to keep tabs.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Although most people don't want to think that way, none of us is all that important and most of the private stuff we post will never embarrass us or get us into trouble.

Short of admitting to something illegal.

Meanwhile- the reason you keep the old iD for selling is the built up feedback and because you are now getting your payments regularly, some things that you would lose with a new selling ID.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

It's too late at this point. I guess i'll need to start a new selling account and keep this one for posting. Which is dumb cause i would lose all my work and customers. This is basically another reason we should be allowed to delete our stuff.

This is a discussion forum which often answers questions and can help other buyers and sellers.  If some people could delete their posts it would be really difficult to follow a thread with posts missing. 

As far as starting a new selling ID and use this one for posting, I don't really understand why you would do that.  I can understand why some people want to keep posting and seller ID's separate, but at this point I think it would more sense to start a new posting ID.  I really don't think that buyers are going to come here and read your previous posts.  And if they do, so what? Perhaps I missed something but I don't recall anything that would 'wreck your reputation'.

Personally, I've never been a fan of posting ID's but I realize some people are more comfortable using them. I think that in some cases, being more 'anonymous' just results in people saying whatever they want without thinking or not caring about what they say. I'm not saying you would do that, just making a general comment.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I think that in some cases, being more 'anonymous' just results in people saying whatever they want without thinking or not caring about what they say. I'm not saying you would do that, just making a general comment

I think i did to be honest. Nothing crazy but i got more than one escalated discussions. Anyway it's just that thinking about growing maybe a business name an account should be used more professionally, while i used it actively more in a personal way

Message 8 of 8
latest reply