How does eBay know how to credit me for taxes collected ?

I know this has been done to death and that we all agree that eBay is ripping us Canadians off with their ridiculous over charges on taxes and imports. And before you jump all over me the same item on Amazon was charging half of the taxes and import charges that eBay wanted for the same item, but that is not really the issue I would like to address.  It has been mentioned and I would like to expand on it how does the Canadian and Ontario government  know it is me who is paying taxes and import duties when I don't have a seller's number ? There is simply no way to track the money so as many here have mentioned, eBay is in fact stealing our tax money for if we were ever to be audited how could we prove via paper trail that we had paid taxes on the items we have sold and we likely would have to pay again or wage a costly court battle with one of the largest companys in the world. Yeah fat chance we could ever win that. After reading all these posts I think I will try to get ahold of ebay and see how they answer me as to how The Canadian Goverments know it is me sending them money and that I would like a tax receipt FROM THEM ( AND THE CANADIAN GOVERNMENTS) to prove it was given in my name..  Regards Don or Ahatmose of Don's Book Den

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

If you are not a GST/Provincial Tax Number registered seller, it matters not to you as to the collection of taxes by eBay that are remitted to the Canadian/Provincial Governments. Only those tax registered sellers need to concern themselves with the taxation process... It is no different than you making purchases at your local retail outlet...you are the buyer>you pay the applicable taxes>the retail outlet submits said collected taxes to the proper taxation departments.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

You are a seller.

You are not registered to collect GST/PST/HST.

EBay is a venue which is required to collect appropriate sales taxes.

EBay collects the taxes for you.

AZ is a venue which is required to collect appropriate sales taxes. 

AZ collects the taxes for you.

Those taxes are on the BUYER'S invoice of which you have a copy.

The buyer pays those taxes.

You pay fees to eBay and to AZ on your customers' payments.

Part of those payments are their local taxes, whether they live in ON or in California. This is not something you have to deal with. Collecting those taxes and remitting them are a service required of the venues.

The fees you pay are tax deductible.

The fees are on your monthly statements.

Sellers who are registered to collect taxes can consult their accountant about their liability and deductibles .

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Hi thanks very much. I'm still a bit confused why the fees are almost double anyone else's though.  

Did not know about the tax break and since I am also a seller can I claim myself as a business and buying new comics is an expense ?

Thanks again but is there anywhere I can go and read this agreement between eBay and our Canadian Governments ? I expecially would like to see where it states that eBay MUST COLLECT the taxes and can charge anything they want to do so.

and one last thing I know it goes on everywhere but how and why do we have to pay taxes on used items when they have already had taxes paid on them. Is it in writing anywhere where I could read it ?

regards

Don

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thanks marnotom! but it really did not help at all. There is no reference to online sales  at all and specifically nothing about sites that are hosting sales. Do you have anything else ?

Best regards

Don

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@ahatmose wrote:

Thanks marnotom! but it really did not help at all. There is no reference to online sales  at all and specifically nothing about sites that are hosting sales. Do you have anything else ?

No reference to online sales?  The page refers to the "digital economy" and "digital platforms."  eBay is an example of a "digital platform," or more accurately, a "digital marketplace," a term you'll likely run into if you keep digging around canada.ca for more information.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply