Weird bugs with the new business policies feature (shipping/payments/return policies)

I spent significant time yesterday trying to "clean up" the business policies that the site automatically created/converted across about 500 active ebay listings.

Imagine my face when I checked back this morning and about 100 of these previously cleaned and deleted business policies were back, under new names. So the ebay site took active auctions with the correct policies, and created duplicate policies for those with generated names.

So I cleaned them up again, many of them successfully. I had it down to a point where only 2 out of the 500ish active auctions didn't use out new standard (and marked as default) return policy.

I then reloaded the list several times, and each time saw the counters ticking back down and ebay auctions being changed back to the generated return policy instead of the one that I had just set them to.

It makes me wonder whether I should even bother, but to be honest when creating new listings, finding the correct policies in an ocean of hundreds of automatically generated junk data is an absolute pain, especially for shipping policies. So I don't mind some manual cleanup. But can we please make those changes stick, so I don't have to do it over and over?

Edit: I don't have any way of testing this effectively with my own live auctions, but I have a suspicion that when you update shipping policies in bulk, payment and return policies are automatically changed as well instead of being left alone. So I have some auctions where the shipping policy is correct but the return policy is not, and some that are the other way around, and each time I fix it on one end, it gets unfixed on the other.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Weird bugs with the new business policies feature (shipping/payments/return policies)

i just wrote last night, about everytime i listed a new item, ebay would change my payment policy to their new manged payment policy,  worst thing is it won't even allow me to see what the new poicy is..it gives me an error when i click on view policy..

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Re: Weird bugs with the new business policies feature (shipping/payments/return policies)

Edit: I don't have any way of testing this effectively with my own live auctions, but I have a suspicion that when you update shipping policies in bulk, payment and return policies are automatically changed as well instead of being left alone. So I have some auctions where the shipping policy is correct but the return policy is not, and some that are the other way around, and each time I fix it on one end, it gets unfixed on the other.

Just want to confirm that I just changed the shipping policy on exactly 2 auctions through the "change policies for these listings" option (context menu in the policies list).

Returned to "return policies" to find that the number of auctions using our default policy dropped from 102 to 100.

So that's definitely a bug.

For the time being, it looks like we can have either shipping policies correctly assigned or return policies, but not both. The same probably goes for payment policies. Unless you go to every single auction and change all the policies for each one manually, one item at a time. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

tyler@ebay- another for the bugfix list?

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Possibly related, when I create a new auction from scratch, the return policy defaults to one of the generated ones, and NOT the one I created/named/marked as "default".

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

The default return policy is now used when creating new listings from scratch.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Hi. I'm back to say that this:

is still an issue.

We had to update two existing shipping policies with additional shipping options (because a bug in ebay isn't allowing specific users from Australia to bid even when "buyers contact for cost" is enabled for Australia).

After updating these shipping policies, I found that the exact 409 auctions that have been "successfully updated" (if the 2 shipping policies were just referenced, the auctions themselves wouldn't have had to be updated at all, but apparently they were) are now using a newly automatically generated return policy (red) instead of their original one (our default and only return policy) (yellow).

See screenshot below.

ebayagain.JPG

Of course now I can't change these back without running the risk of creating dozens upon dozens of new shipping policies in the process (I've been through this before).

This took me hours to manually clean up last time.

Can we please, PLEASE have this looked at, or at the very least acknowledged?

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Can we please, PLEASE have this looked at, or at the very least acknowledged?

Well, I think I got my answer on that. Disappointing.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Still having this issue myself, 2 years later. lol

Message 9 of 9
latest reply