A Canadian question why pay tax after confirm purchase

Here we go, its REALLY hurt our sellers in having this kind of eBayer in our community.

A Canadian blast about sales tax at the end of checkout and yet confirmed transaction and paid for it, claimed it should have been informed before commit to buy. Seller takes the blame with a NEGATIVE feedback.

eBay system allows seller to setup tax rates and is clearly stated in all listings, it is buyer's choice to pick seller and check with details including final payment amount before submit purchase order.

eBay should step up their punishment to this kind of behavior within the community, we, the seller work so hard to please buyers and yet a few of these bad apples ruin our credit rating due to this ridicules reason.

Regards,

Samson

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: A Canadian question why pay tax after confirm purchase

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2018

The problem with zombie threads is that the advice may be out dated and incorrect.

For example, while the importer remains responsible for knowing what duty and sales taxes apply to the goods they are importing, since July 2020 the duty-free allowance for US imports had risen to $150 and the sales tax free allowance to $40.

And since 2021, the provincial sales taxes have been applied to Canadian purchases from Canadian buyers too, although the seller does not touch those.

So the hypothetical $100 import would be duty-free, but cost $105 with GST for an Albertan buyer, while a MB buyer would pay $113.

And the same purchase from a Canadian buyer would also be charged sales taxes.

Message 41 of 45
latest reply

this posting is a little old, but I found it online when I was searching for a similar title, first of all, Ebay has mentioned that it is the seller's job to mention that the Tax is extra on the price of the goods, otherwise, it will be considered as miss information, and I don't know how much you know about the tax system, but as far as I know, you can't charge both GST and HST on a used item that already had them paid when it was brand new, you can only collect HST, so let's not be so selfish and think about customers as well as if it is you trying to buy something, you are working hard to make money same as the person who is paying you, we all work hard to make money and we don't like surprises and hidden fees.

Message 42 of 45
latest reply

@hameizad2 wrote:

this posting is a little old, but I found it online when I was searching for a similar title, first of all, Ebay has mentioned that it is the seller's job to mention that the Tax is extra on the price of the goods, otherwise, it will be considered as miss information, and I don't know how much you know about the tax system, but as far as I know, you can't charge both GST and HST on a used item that already had them paid when it was brand new, you can only collect HST, so let's not be so selfish and think about customers as well as if it is you trying to buy something, you are working hard to make money same as the person who is paying you, we all work hard to make money and we don't like surprises and hidden fees.

This is why the moderators of the eBay discussion boards and answer centre tend to shut down threads that have been revived after a longish to long period of inactivity.  Things have changed considerably in the five years since the first post was made to this thread.  eBay is now required by federal tax legislation to ensure that applicable taxes are collected and remitted to the feds on sales from Canadian sellers to Canadian buyers.  This is noted at Checkout, if I recall correctly.

There's a dedicated discussion board devoted to the issue of sales taxes being applied to eBay sales and how it affects sellers and buyers.  You may wish to go through some of those threads or posts.  Amongst other things, you'll likely run into several posts dealing with the issue of taxes on transactions involving used items:

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Canadian-Sales-Tax/bd-p/CA_sales_tax

Message 43 of 45
latest reply

@kh-leslie

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2018!

Message 44 of 45
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 45 of 45
latest reply