Correct postage information when selling on .com

I am starting to sell on ebay again after a 2 year absence. I've got the ebay.ca selling site figured out re postage, now I am trying to use my 50 free listings on .com but I cannot figure out how to do calculated shipping to the USA and Canada. I've put 1 item on .com with free shipping which looks reasonable if you are in USA, but it's a ridiculous price for Canadians to pay.  Can someone please help me with the steps to create calculated shipping on .com? Thanks!

PS - is Pierre still on this board?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

It may be better to use flat rate shipping prices for dotCOM.

As many shipping methods(oversize letter mail, small packet,tracked packet,etc) are basically same price to anywhere in USA, the shipping pricing for USA is easier to deal with than that for within Canada.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Welcome back!

You can’t use calculated shipping on .com unless you are shipping from the US or using a service that will mail your packages there.  You might want to put your heavier items on ,ca and use .com for your postcards and other small items.

Pierre has retired. He did post here once in a while after he retired but haven’t seen here in a long time now.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Welcome back!

I agree that if your items can't ship as Flat Rate, that you put those on dotCA and those that can on dotCOM.

Is a freight forwarder like chitchatexpress available to you? They are now in Mississauga, Calgary, Vancouver (bought over bookstotheborder) , and I think Montreal. There are other companies like stallionexpress(?) that I know even less about.

You do know that on dotCOM, Canada shows as a separate international location, right?

You can set up Free Shipping for the USA, then a Flat Rate for Canada, and then an assortment of Flat Rates for other international destinations. 

Look for the blue links.

This may be helpful. I think @zee-chan put it together.Counter rates 2019.png

Remember that even if you are listing on dotCOM , you will be using Canada Post pricing, and the cost of domestic shipping is what it is.

Use (untracked) lettermail within Canada whenever possible for best pricing.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Hi.  I have just listed an item on ebay.ca (I live in Canada), and it consists of metal parts that I will send in a padded Canada Post envelope.  For shipping within Canada ebay calculates that to send to Charlottetown PEI for example that it will cost $21.00 and change to the buyer.  Canada Post states that it will cost $24.47 to send it to the same place (tracked and insured).  Similarly if I check ebay u.k., it states that the cost for the seller is £11.00 and change(Pounds Sterling).  This is totally incorrect as Canada Post states that the actual cost for tracked and insured is actually £20.00 (Pounds Sterling).  Unfortunately, I have had problems with listings specifically regarding postage with ebay.ca in the past. How do I correctly specify postage from my location (I do not gouge on postage - it is what it is!)?  Does anyone know why the ebay postal calculator does not quote actual correct postage rates to a specified location?  Ebay assistants have not been able to assist on this.   I am obviously doing something wrong, but I am not a heavy lister (only up to 70 buy/sell listings at 100%).  I am selling fairly expensive items that in this particular day and age require tracking and insurance.

Advice please for what I am doing wrong and undercutting myself on postage

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

In most cases the calculator is very accurate and is the same as the Canada Post calculator as long as the dimensions entered are at least the minimum dimensions for that service and if the dimensions and weight are correct. As far as I know the ebay calculator gets its prices directly from CP.

If you are on the CP calculator site and looking at the counter price you will see a price for regular parcel.  On ebay the price you are showing is for expedited parcel which is sometimes slightly less than regular as it is a business service.  You can see the ebay (small business level 1) price on CP if you click on "show minimum online savings".    I doubt that the difference would be the $3+ that you mention in the part of your post so I suspect that something was different in the weight or dimensions on the ebay calculator and CP calculator.  If you can give us specific weights, dimensions and postal codes we might be able to help see where the difference is.

When you are using Canada Post parcel services within Canada all services use dimensional pricing so the weight often matters less than the dimensions of the package. That means that you want to make sure that you are not using a package too big.    Your shipping cost for the 4 dvd's seems high  ($23) for me as I'm just down the highway from you.  Make sure that your packaging isn't too large for that although perhaps they just weight more than I thought they would.

Note that you are posting on a two year old thread and some of the previous information may have changed.  It's also possible that they will close this thread when they see that it has been ressurected so if that happens, please start a new thread if you have more questions.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 7 of 7
latest reply