Re reply to question asked in weekly chat

tyler@ebay 

When asked about the invoice number that eBay labels was putting in the tracking field for small packet your reply was..

"Currently Canada Post does not offer tracking for Small Packet, but gives the receipt number as the 'tracking number' field, without a way for us to remove it."

I'm  sorry but that just doesn't make sense.  Neither Shippo nor PayPal adds an invoice number in the tracking field for small packet so there must be a way for this not to happen with eBay labels.   When a seller purchases an eBay label for a service with tracking where does the invoice number get put then?  It obviously isn't in the tracking field so I don't understand why it can't be put elsewhere for small packet.  It's possible that for other services the tracking number IS the invoice number but again...other label services are available to do things correctly.   

Ebay wants it sellers to act professionally yet It is difficult out to act  like a professional when we have to delete an invoice number from the tracking field which in turn marks the shipped item as not shipped.   That's just one glitch among many others on the site that make it more difficult for buyers to take eBay and it's sellers as professionals

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

An addendum.

Can we put the invoice number in the tracking number field manually?

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Is there not an "edit" button available?...thought at one time we were able to edit tracking number, but perhaps that's not here on eBay...I do know my other selling venue does allow the tracking number to be edited.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

Is there not an "edit" button available?...thought at one time we were able to edit tracking number, but perhaps that's not here on eBay...I do know my other selling venue does allow the tracking number to be edited.

There was a brief time when eBay labels was first created that it purged a block of tracking numbers. You could/can go in and re-enter the tracking number. The attached consequence is it manually updates to the new date of entry/manual created label date. Same thing happens when a sellers is asked to input tracking for an INR. It corrupts the original data.

I noticed this once when I updated the tracking number because of data input error. As per CS there is no way to modify any other way. Presently.

-Lotz

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I suppose if a seller catches up with any errors,etc within 3 days of actual shipping date, I would like to think that new data may not impact or jeopardise anything too seriously. Under those circumstances,  I'd certainly consider processing the changes if need be...AND at same time message the buyer accordingly so that buyer is aware that the info required updating.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

We don't need the invoice number and don't want it in the tracking field so why would we want to enter it manually?   We don't have an invoice number for any other  labels so it's not something used by sellers.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Yes, there is an edit button which I've been using.  But when the label is printed, the transaction gets marked as shipped.  When I delete the fake tracking number, the transaction gets marked as not shipped so I have to go to another section in sellers hub and mark it shipped manually..it's a pain.  I also wonder if the buyer gets a 'shipped' email when the label is printed and then again when I have to mark it shipped.

We can work around it but I'm sure that most sellers won't notice it until they get a complaint from their buyers that the tracking number is not being recognized by any postal service.  I just think that it reflects poorly on ebay and the seller.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

The system has always changed the shipping date when you enter a new tracking number, it doesn't have anything to do with eBay labels.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

tyler@ebay 

When asked about the invoice number that eBay labels was putting in the tracking field for small packet your reply was..

"Currently Canada Post does not offer tracking for Small Packet, but gives the receipt number as the 'tracking number' field, without a way for us to remove it."

I'm  sorry but that just doesn't make sense.  Neither Shippo nor PayPal adds an invoice number in the tracking field for small packet so there must be a way for this not to happen with eBay labels.   When a seller purchases an eBay label for a service with tracking where does the invoice number get put then?  It obviously isn't in the tracking field so I don't understand why it can't be put elsewhere for small packet.  It's possible that for other services the tracking number IS the invoice number but again...other label services are available to do things correctly.   

Ebay wants it sellers to act professionally yet It is difficult out to act  like a professional when we have to delete an invoice number from the tracking field which in turn marks the shipped item as not shipped.   That's just one glitch among many others on the site that make it more difficult for buyers to take eBay and it's sellers as professionals

The answer he gave you is not only incorrect it's embarrassing, we'll leave it at that.  eBay's system is doing it and needs to be corrected.  I will never touch eBay labels again it caused numerous problems (appears to be continuing that) and I would advise anyone who spends $2500 or more per year on shipping to open your own account.  I'm back to my own permament level 3 SFSB account and working towards level 4.  I would be level 4 right now if I hadn't wasted $2400 with eBay labels Mar/April.  My fault though I assumed my eBay shipping account was tied to my CP account (like with Shippo). 

My only major complaint with eBay is with their customer service, currently it's at an all time low. 

Guess what, the supervisor understood my issue and sent me to the correct department.  Within less than 10 minutes everything was resolved (it took way to long to get to where I should of been sent due to the first rep).  Sadly I have too many of these transcripts.  Complete waste of time for everyone and reps that lie or refuse to help I would assume only cost eBay more money (eBay pays them yes?)

@pjcdn2005  I completely agree with you here's what eBay expects from us (I will say I'm in full support of the seller performance policy and I hope all sellers abide by it)

"

Seller performance policy overview

eBay expects sellers to consistently provide service that results in a high level of buyer satisfaction. This includes setting and meeting buyer expectations by providing excellent customer service from beginning to end.

You can see how you're performing both domestically and across various international markets in your seller standards dashboard. Specifically, you can view how well you're meeting buyer expectations with buyers from Canada, the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, and global markets. Learn more about our global seller performance standards.

As a seller, you're expected to:

• Promptly resolve customer issues
  • Ship items on time, within your specified handling time
  • Manage inventory and keep items well stocked
  • Charge reasonable shipping and handling costs
  • Specify shipping costs and handling time in the listing
  • Follow through on your return policy
  • Respond to buyers' questions promptly
  • Be helpful, friendly, and professional throughout a transaction.
  • Make sure the item is delivered to the buyer as described in the listing"

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

tyler@ebay 

Hi @pjcdn2005 - I definitely agree with the sentiment here, and have made sure that this feedback is provided to the Labels team. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Hi I noticed when I used light packet untracked that when using ebay shipping labels it put some random number in the tracking field. I printed my  label then I went to the shipped item removed the random number (invoice number?) and put the number on the top of my canada post label in there that starts with UR and ends with CA. Then I clicked on save. I used to add that number before because sometimes the package would be scanned on the USA side and I could see the tracking even though it was an untracked service. The number sayed on there and my item still says shipped. If what I am doing is wrong please let me know.  FInding this a bit confusing. 🙂 Was it ok for me to remove that invoice number?

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Yes that was the correct thing to do.  I usually just take it out as I only add the UR number in some cases but many other sellers are doing as you did.  For some reason ebay is adding on some sort of invoice number ...perhaps a number for ebay use?   They are aware that it is a problem because that number is not a tracking number but I don't get the impression that it is going to be fixed right away.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Hello pjcdn2005:

Thank you for your reply on a now discontinued post, I should have noted how old it was.  The item I am querying is the set of gears just listed this afternoon .  The bubble wrap envelope is the standard Canada Post bubble envelope at 22.9 cm L x 15.9 cm W x about  1.5 cm thick.  The weight of the gears is 27 grams even though they are steel and brass, but very small.  As I do not know where the buyer would be, I chose a place in Eastern Canada to show the maximum cost that could be expected if sold within Canada.  Not sure if this is o.k. or appropriate to do?  Ebay gave one price, using an identical postal code, and Canada Post gave a higher cost.  Ebay of course posted the lower price.  For the U.K., identical dimensions, CP quoted just over £20 Pounds Sterling with tracking and insurance included, but ebay has it listed at £8.07 postage from Canada.  Also the DVDs that you are referring to have insurance and tracking included in the price quoted by Canada Post.  The size of the box is 23.5 cm L x 19.5 cm W x 8.5cm H and weighs 575 grams.  The postal code I chose as an example is C1A 1G9.  As I noted in a few cases lately, Canada Post and ebay.ca do not jibe with postal costs and I am not sure how I should choose the options to prevent the differences?  Thank you in advance for any advice which is greatly appreciated. WF 

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

You don't have to do all that work.

Instead you can choose to use Calculated Shipping and the program will ... ummm... calculate the shipping for your customer to her postal code.

When we use our Solutions for Small Business number to buy labels through eBay (or Paypal or Shippo) we get a small discount on some services.  The Canada Post site shows counter prices which have no discounts.

For the U.K., identical dimensions, CP quoted just over £20 Pounds Sterling with tracking and insurance included, but ebay has it listed at £8.07 postage from Canada.

Pounds?

Canada Post does not work in pounds. Our currency is dollars.

Are you looking at dotCA or at dotCOdotUK?

Letter Rated items do not have tracking.

Registration does, but only reliably within Canada. Registration costs about $9.75. So no real saving there.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply