Domestic calculated shipping: how to add handling fee for Local Pickup?

In Business Policies > Shipping policy, under Domestic shipping, if I set "Flat: same cost to all buyers", I can also add the option of Local Pickup with a specific "Cost" (fee to me for local pickup).

However, under Domestic shipping, if I set "Calculated: cost varies by buyer location", and add Local Pickup option, and set a "Handling cost", the handling cost is not applied if buyer selects Local Pickup. If I set Calculated shipping, the Local Pickup is free with no fee added.

Is there no way to charge a handling fee for Local Pickup when I set Calculated shipping for Domestic?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Domestic calculated shipping: how to add handling fee for Local Pickup?

@toronto_tuttle wrote:

In Business Policies > Shipping policy, under Domestic shipping, if I set "Flat: same cost to all buyers", I can also add the option of Local Pickup with a specific "Cost" (fee to me for local pickup).

However, under Domestic shipping, if I set "Calculated: cost varies by buyer location", and add Local Pickup option, and set a "Handling cost", the handling cost is not applied if buyer selects Local Pickup. If I set Calculated shipping, the Local Pickup is free with no fee added.

Is there no way to charge a handling fee for Local Pickup when I set Calculated shipping for Domestic?

@toronto_tuttle 

I've never done it using Business Policies but have noticed it is available when I create some listings. Others it is not. Unsure if it was a feature that was grandfathered out or what is going on. Just how it is. I've also noticed with certain listings extra options for returns. Again, not always.

-Lotz

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Under what circumstances could you justify a handling charge for Local Pickup?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

I've never added handling charges so not sure how that part works however I have occassionally done Local Pick up and I just make the change to listing if anyone asks me. I think anyone that peaks to see if you live close in hopes of pick up might reach out to you and ask even if it's not in the listing from the start (as I have seen happen for myself). I never have Local Pick Up on my listings, anytime someone has asked me if they could do it I've changed the listing (shipping policy) at that point manually for them so if you have a way that does work (flat rate as you say) you could just change it to that if someone asks and have something in listing like "Local Pickup available please contact first".

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@recped wrote:

@recped 

It's just a small token amount. Helps cover eBay fees and any inconvenience. Also is a way of confirming they are serious about completing the transaction. I usually meet them somewhere handy vs my home.

As a side, when I first started buying on eBay and came across local sellers that offered pick up have found a few that charged 5.00 per item even when multiple items were purchased at same time. Personally, thought that was a little excessive.

-Lotz

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

It's the Craigslist factor.

The seller has to be around at the specified time and place.

The buyer may not show up.

The buyer may renege on the transaction faced with the actual item .(Easier to deal with in terms of time and money than an NAD but still.)

After meeting at the police station, the seller gets mugged by a random criminal.

Helps cover eBay fees and any inconvenience.

Yes on the inconvenience.

Our fees are supposed to be covered by the asking price, I believe.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

What does the Craigslist factor have to do with anything?

eBay calls it FREE Local Pickup, they actually mean FREE not sort of free or close to free.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

My own jargon.

Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace and Freecycle etc, are notorious for no shows and post agreement hagglers.

Same with Local Pickup.

As often as not, for all the complaints about Canada Post, it is cheaper for the seller in time and postage stamps to mail the Thing than to wait for the buyer to decide to come by and pay.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

The buyer may renege on the transaction faced with the actual item .(Easier to deal with in terms of time and money than an NAD but still.)

After meeting at the police station, the seller gets mugged by a random criminal.

Yes, exactly. With Local Pickup, often the buyer does not show up on time or even on the agreed day. Buyer may exclaim "Oh, I thought it was bigger than this..." or some other complaint, even though item was clearly described with multiple photos, and want to cancel the transaction. Local Pickup buyers can be a bigger hassle than those with shipped items.

@recped wrote:

eBay calls it FREE Local Pickup, they actually mean FREE not sort of free or close to free.

eBay calls it "free local pickup" only if seller has designated it to be free (or in the case I described, where the handling fee does not work with local pickup). When setting Local Pickup, eBay provides an entry field for "Cost" and for "Each additional". 

It's the same with shipping. eBay shows it as free shipping only if seller designated the item to have free shipping. Otherwise it is shown as "Shipping", and with various options if seller created options.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@toronto_tuttle wrote:

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Yes, exactly. With Local Pickup, often the buyer does not show up on time or even on the agreed day. Buyer may exclaim "Oh, I thought it was bigger than this..." or some other complaint, even though item was clearly described with multiple photos, and want to cancel the transaction. Local Pickup buyers can be a bigger hassle than those with shipped items.

@recped wrote:

eBay calls it "free local pickup" only if seller has designated it to be free (or in the case I described, where the handling fee does not work with local pickup). When setting Local Pickup, eBay provides an entry field for "Cost" and for "Each additional". 

It's the same with shipping. eBay shows it as free shipping only if seller designated the item to have free shipping. Otherwise it is shown as "Shipping", and with various options if seller created options.

@toronto_tuttle 

I add pick up to many of my listings. None include free shipping. The option (field) for a handling charge is just not always there. 

-Lotz

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

I add pick up to many of my listings. None include free shipping. The option (field) for a handling charge is just not always there. 

And even when it appears, it's not always applied, which is the reason I created this thread.

In Business Policies, I see it if I have flat rate shipping, and then there is a cost field specifically for Local Pickup option:

toronto_tuttle_0-1697210673093.png

If I have Calculated Shipping, the "Handling cost" field applies only to the shipping options and not to Local Pickup.

toronto_tuttle_1-1697210798898.png

Message 11 of 11
latest reply