How to get Canada Post "Tracking" number from last month? Help???

Good Morning All,

Like most I print my shipping labels through PayPal and I usually trim them up and throw out the excess paper and throw it out including the bottom part that has that fake tracking number for small packet air to the USA.

Usually, I can see it in the order details but for this item it isn't there. I've went through PayPal, not there.

Here is the story,

It has been one month now, the buyer contacted eBay last week and claimed goods not received, I responded to the dispute and asked to give it another week and if it hadn't arrived, I would refund the payment (Already knowing that eBay would automatically refund it on the 21st anyway) I also notified the buyer that I the item was insured against loss and I would contact CP & USPS in hopes of getting the "Oh, It showed up today" email when he knew I ment business. I don't think it matters but encase anyone is wondering, the item number is 251424343226. I just issued the refund and sent the buyer a message in english and in chinese.

Now I'm trying to initiate an item not delivered claim with Canada Post (I know It's only $26.99, but $27 is better in my pocket then CP's) and on their form they want the tracking number. I can't find it! Very frustrating!

Does anyone know where I can find it?

Yes, I have a boring life. lol, I have a Intradural Meningeal Cyst on my spinal cord awaiting a call from a neuosurgeon from Sunnibrook to call me to chop me open, My Dr doesn't want me to do ANYTHING, it's pouring rain out, so I thought this was a good way to spent the day and possible get $27 back. lol

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: How to get Canada Post "Tracking" number from last month? Help???

"I also notified the buyer that I the item was insured against loss and I would contact CP & USPS in hopes of getting the "Oh, It showed up today" email when he knew I ment business."

It's not clear from this statement whether you did in fact purchase insurance or if you were attempting to get the buyer to 'fess up in the event he was not being truthful.  Your feedback indicates that you are an experienced seller so I'm thinking you would not be purchasing insurance for low cost items.  I know a lot of sellers opted not to when Canada Post eliminated the insurance coverage with small packet air.

In any event, if you did, and you now can't find the Receipt No., see if it shows in your Paid & Shipped in My eBay.  I know that the transfer of this information from PayPal is hit or miss but I make a point of manually entering this number if it's missing.  Perhaps you do too?  I don't purchase insurance for the items I sell because most of them are under $50.00 but, when you do, is there not some confirmation shown on the PayPal details sheet?

(I'm sorry to hear about your health issue .... I wish you well.)

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Do you have a Canada Post receit? It's on with your payment.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

With Canada Post Small Packet USA you automatically get $100 insurance. You don't have to purchase it extra. It is included.

Unless they changed things without my knowledge? It's always been that way. They just rely on people not being as "Ambitious" as I am and jumping through their hoops to file a loss claim.

It is very strange. I have checked other transactions and they all have this number. Once eBay opened the dispute the number disappeared???

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

When you purchase & print your shipping labels through PayPal, your receipt is emailed to you. Perhaps in my junk folder... hmmm about 20,000 emails to search through now lol

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

"With Canada Post Small Packet USA you automatically get $100 insurance. You don't have to purchase it extra. It is included".

Not any more, I'm afraid.  This was eliminated I believe around this time last year, when Canada Post revised all their rates.  It's been at least a year, I'm sure.  Tracked packet U.S.A. offers insurance.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@richardsamuel69 wrote:

When you purchase & print your shipping labels through PayPal, your receipt is emailed to you. Perhaps in my junk folder... hmmm about 20,000 emails to search through now lol

Yes, the confirmation # (for Small Pkt/Light Pkt) should be in that email receipt from Paypal.  I believe the email subject line says something like "You've Created a Label".  You could do a search on the word "Label" in your 20,000 emails to find it.  I have my email system set up to automatically route all emails from Paypal into a separate folder (most email programmes will allow you to do this).

Also, 'jt-libra'  is right -- insurance on Small Packet USA was removed early last year (2013).  So if you purchased a Small Packet USA label recently, the parcel will not be automatically insured (unless you insured through a 3rd party provider). 

It sounds like you may be out of luck on this one unfortunately.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for your help Rose.

I did find the email but no the fake tracking number isn't on it. I guess I will start to keep all of those pieces of paper that I cut off of the shipping labels. I've been throwing them out for a long time now. lol. When I first started printing my shipping labels at home, I saved them and I had stacks of paper lying around and never had a claim so I started burning them.

Also thank you for opening my eyes about the insurance thing to. January 14 2013,  I guess I'm a year behind. I get all of those emails but rarely read them with any detail. I usually only sell on eBay in the winter time. I'm a carpenter and build houses all summer. Now since my health has gone for a **bleep** I guess I will have to pay attention again. This will be my 3rd back surgery and my doctor told me 4yrs ago if I didn't change careers I would be in a wheelchair by 40. I'll be 40 in November....

Again, Thank You for your help!

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

If there is no tracking, there is no way to prove that the parcel was or was not delivered.

If buyer says it has not been delivered... then that is the only proof that eBay or Paypal needs to give the buyer a refund.

Even if the parcel was delivered, as long as buyer says it has not been delivered, the end result will be a refund...

and because there is no insurance...  that money is gone....unless you have Third-Party-Insurance

This is the reality of Small Packet as of January 2013..

Message 9 of 9
latest reply