Is ebay.ca is Fraud or badly managed website?

I recently Published a very standard item for sale on Ebay.ca as my first experiene in this website, my experience were damaging and frightening and here is why.

1. I listed a very standard item, that the evarage price for it New 400+ and used starts from 280+ according to ebay.ca

2. Ebay.ca trending the item to be sold on 330+

3. I listed the item using ebay.ca similar standard full detailed listing, i included all the details required

4. I included high quality images and detailed description on the item.

5. I listed the item as Auction starting from 200CA$

I recieved ZERO auctions on this item.

In the last second, someone participated with 200$

So i have only 1 participant.

However this participant did not even add a 1$ for the item

And this user is obviously used a software (illegal application) to do last second bidding, now this applications is illegal according to ebay.ca policy.

I contacted ebay.ca support and informed them about the incident, I first told them that i will honor the sales regardless, just to insure that i kept my side of the deal, and on return i would like to submit a complain and explanation from ebay.ca on this illegal activity,  the guy was really supportive, he totally understand and agree with me verbally however he informed me the following:

1. Ebay.ca does not accept any kind of complains

2. There is no way i can request assistance from ebay.ca

3. Him on personal level can raise this issue with his management on weekly meeting and see if they can improve the policy.

4. The buyer who used the illegal software, according to ebay.ca policy, his account must be revoked, however he cannot promise that, even if they monitor the transaction and found that he used such illegal application.

So doing business on ebay.ca is not only Dangerous, and will make you loose business, but also you have no place to complain.

Ebay recently is suffering from poor management, now on ebay.com these applications making it impossible to get a good deal anymore as there are thousands of buyers who is using such illegal applications, and therefore ebay.com lost its main objective of existence, and now available like any other website for buying and selling(.)

Ebay.ca not only poorly managed, but worse, does not have traffic. i have listed some items multiple times and all have Zero bidding.

I wonder if anyone can help me understand what is going on, and if anyone can investigate my case, i will take full responsibility of my claim if found not accurate, and hope that ebay.ca will take responsibility of anything, ESPECIALLY THAT THEY CHARGE ME MONEY FOR LOOSING ILLEGALLY MY MONEY AT THEIR WEBSITE.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Is ebay.ca is Fraud or badly managed website?

Sniping software to place bids automatically at the last minute is not illegal. You got one bid and most likely that was all you were going to get. You should be glad you got one bid.

Auctions with multiple bids to bid up the price has been declining for years on eBay. Auctions just do not get high prices for many common items.

The first rule of running an auction is to have a starting price that is the minimum you wish to get for the item. You have to be realistic about what the item is worth. Your research says $330. Then you might have started the price at $300 or $275 or $330 if you think that is what the market will pay.

You posted that it is your first sale. Then you have little experience selling??? If so, it is more your lack of experience selling on eBay than eBay being Fraud or mismanaged website.

Practice selling low priced items under $25 to understand how eBay works and how buyers buy.

You shipping costs seem low especially for international destinations. Understand shipping so as to minimize false Item Not Received claims. Since you are a new seller, then ship only to Canada and the USA. Block all other countries.

As for the No Returns policy, it is pointless to have this. eBay Buyer Protection and PayPal Buyer Protection will over ride your No Returns. Think about having no returns, who will spend $200 or more on an item that if defective or has issues cannot be returned. Limits bidding.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

"And this user is obviously used a software (illegal application) to do last second bidding, now this applications is illegal according to ebay.ca policy."

I think that is the problem.

Somehow, and I do not know how, you are under the impression that last second bidding (snipping) is an illegal operation.  It is not.  It is allowed and everyone can bid in the last second if they wish to do so (not advisable as too many things can technically go wrong if a buyer waits to the very last second). It can be done manually or using snipping software (it is permissible).

Looking at your recent listing, you listed for three days only.  Why?  You can list for seven days and attract many more viewers, obviously.  The more viewers ---> the more chances to get bids. The winning bid, and only bid, was placed two seconds before the scheduled ending time of your listing.

There is nothing wrong with that.

Accept the payment from the buyer and ship.

If you expected multiple bids, with such high starting price, you expected too much.  Nobody's fault.

Keep in mind that - on average - only one auction listing in three attracts even one bid.  You are fortunate to have received a bid on your first listing on this item.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

In the last second, someone participated with 200$
Auctions are no longer the preference for most bidders. Sales of Fixed Price items wildly out sell auctions.

A single bidder on an auction is not unusual. Two or more bidders is unusual. This is not 2004.

However this participant did not even add a 1$ for the item
You have no idea how much the participant bid. You can only see the bid that meets or exceeds the next highest bid. With only one bidder, that is your opening price.

Your bidder may have placed a maximum bid of $500. Or of $201.00. With no underbidder, he won at the opening price.

And this user is obviously used a software (illegal application) to do last second bidding, now this applications is illegal according to ebay.ca policy.
Sniping is a popular way to win. Many sellers, especially those overseas or shift workers will set up a bid with an electronic sniping service to be executed at the last second, rather than hovering over their keyboard all night.

No Returns does not mean No Refunds. There have been instances where an unhappy buyer is not required to return a (damaged usually) item because the seller has indicated that he does not want to see it again by stating No Returns.

Here are some suggestions for you.

Use Fixed Price listings.

Set your price at a level that is comfortable for you.

Allow the vast audience of buyers time to find your listings. At least 30 days on a Fixed Price. At least seven days on an Auction.

Accept Returns. It gives a buyer confidence.

But at this point, as a new seller, it is a good idea to start by selling less expensive items. The higher your feedback the more confidence bidders will have in buying from you. 

And the higher your feedback, the less likely you are to be targeted by scammers who prey on newbies.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Should we tell him about the 21 Day Hold?

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Snipe bids are not illegal.

The person who bid on your auction may have had a higher maxium bid but because no one else bid he got it for your starting bid.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member

You got about the going price for that if you check the recently sold, and the fixed price offered.  Ebay's trending and suggested pricing can be well off reality (both ways)

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Important PayPal policy affecting new sellers:

In some cases, the payment from your buyer might be not be available right away. Here are some of the reasons why this might happen:

You can see the status of your funds in My eBay, and find out what you can do to get your funds more quickly, by clicking the button at the bottom of this message. Find out more about payments that aren't available yet.

If the estimated funds availability in My eBay is "unavailable" that means the transaction is involved in an eBay Buyer Protection case. Click on unavailable to find out more.

Your funds may become available more quickly if you provide us with tracking information:

• If you list on eBay.ca and your item is located in Canada and you have a below global performance rating and your item is shipped within Canada, your funds will be available 7 days after the latest estimated delivery date. If your item is shipped internationally and no estimated delivery date can be calculated then funds will be available 21 days after the buyer pays.
  • If you list your item located in Canada on eBay.com and you have a below standard US performance rating, once you've marked your items as shipped, funds will be available 7 days after the latest estimated delivery date. If no estimated delivery date can be calculated, funds will be available 21 days after the buyer pays.
  • If you list on eBay.com and drop ship from inside the US, funds will be available 3 days after delivery confirmation when you upload tracking information, or 7 days after your latest estimated delivery date if you don't upload tracking but mark the item as shipped. Otherwise, funds will be available 21 calendar days after the buyer pays.

Note: In some cases, such as international shipments, we can't calculate a delivery date or confirm delivery. It may also take longer to get your funds if your buyer reports a problem.

===================================================================================

Now that the PayPal "payment hold" policy is understood, new seller must be reminded that they MUST ship within seven days of payment sent by buyer to be eligible to the PayPal Seller Protection program.  The fact the funds are not yet available to the new seller has nothing to do with the buyer who has paid for the item.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

I wonder if the OP has been overwhelmed by the wall of texts in this thread by now...... Smiley Embarassed

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Would have been an interesting listen in on that CS phone call me thinks!

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

I suspect the clerk was saying 'uh huh. uh huh. uh huh.' and the OP thought that was an agreement rather than an acknowledgement that she was still on the line.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

hedge88
Community Member

It is actually possible it wasn't software, too.  I once bid on an item in the last two or three seconds, only because my browser at the time was SO slow that it took two minutes for it to process the request!

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

With my little experience on eBay I think auctions suck. They do not attract more buyers. Selling high demand stuff for reasonable competitive prices attract more buyers than tossing a coin and listing an item on auction for .99. You can do this by simply looking at you're competition and basing you're price off them.

Ebay pushes auctions because they push .99$ auctions which will usually guarantee a sale  for the selling and commission for eBay and paypal even if the seller isn't happy with the sale price eBay and paypal are because they get money faster.

I suggest if you want to auction off something do it for 20$ under the value you really want if it is an expensive item 150$+. if you are unhappy with 200$ than you should have started with more the buyer would of probably paid more but the past is the past.

I used auctions at the start of using eBay but that was only because I was trying to get my limit lifted faster now I only use it for selling big amounts of stuff I don't think will sell individually for the price i want with all the .30$ Paypal fees i will also get knocked with and I would rather go with just 1 .30$ fee! Now that I use fixed prices on cheaper items with accepting offers on more expensive items I do get a lot of views and a lot of buys.

On ebay support I've only had 1 problem with a buyer but it was all sorted out because of their support so I have no negative relations with them for now.

You say eBay is dangerous as well I thought that at first I herd alot of stories about buyers being scammed so I was all skeptical about making my first shipment of 4 games and I shipped them all registered costing me about 40$ and cutting my profit greatly. I've learned and started selling regular post and it's fine all eBay buyers I've delt with are great and honest people. How many stories do you hear about good sellers/buyers none because people who are happy have no need to complain or tell a story. e!

Sorry if i'm rambling.

Good luck in the future!

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

You said "You got one bid and most likely that was all you were going to get. You should be glad you got one."

Why do you think I should get one bid only?
Why I should be glad for one bid?

In lighten me please.
Message 14 of 20
latest reply

You made the decision to offer your item at using auction instead of fixed price.

On average, only one auction listing in three attracts one or more bid, two in three do not attract a single bid.

It would have been preferable to do some research prior to listing to determine what sells and at what price and list at fixed price.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2014

The problem with zombie threads is that the information and advice can be out of date and misleading.

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

awn-83
Community Member
I've bought three hockey cards that were expensive did not receive any of them put in a complaint to ebay.ca and seller did not get a response from either its been 5 months still nothing e bay doest not hold their sellers accountable I'm about to give up on ebay .ca
Message 17 of 20
latest reply

and you have responded to a 10 year old thread!

It would have been best to start your own thread to draw attention to any current problem/issues

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

@kh-phdan 

Zombie thread from 2014!

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue discussing this topic.

Thanks for your understanding!

Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 20 of 20
latest reply