Issues with photo discolouration when adding photos to listing

raolco
Community Member

The photos I'm attempting to add to my listing get this yellow discolouration when uploaded and I have no idea why.ebay-photo-discolour-.PNG

Below is the original photo. It uploads perfectly fine when adding it to this post. No discolouration.

DSC_0031.jpg

Why is this happening?

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

This could start with the light you use when you take the photo.

Were the photos... color corrected..... using software

The yellow color may not show in your photo....  However, eBay is a totally different environment for photos.

You may have to color correct the photos to bring out the "white"   ... intensify the white  in order for the white to be "white" on eBay

The more intense the white in the photo, the less chance that it will show yellow on eBay....

-------------------------

My photos are taken using incandescent light... which automatically gives a yellow tinge....  The photos are then color corrected using software, and the white is intensified during this process.

We as human beings automatically do a color correction  based on what our perception of what the color should be.... It is our brain doing the correction.

Cameras do not have that automatic adjustment,  The color of the image is based on the true color of the item being photographed, and how that color may vary depending on the type of light bulb being use to illuminate the item being photographed

Sometimes the color of the item being photographed will affect the overall color of the final photo....  This is where color correction is definitely required using software.

This is the world of all photography in general... and also digital photography

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

I spend hours doing colour correction on my photos. Hours. White balance is your friend. 

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

I spend hours doing color correction also, I sell yarn, and it is very important that it is the correct  color on the picture. I use  Microsoft digital Image pro 10 to edit my pictures.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Thank you for length reply.

I probably should mention that this issue didn't start happening until earlier this week. I have a couple listings from earlier this month that don't have this yellow tinge. All photos were taken at the same time, using the same camera, using the same fluorescent light, and were unedited. They didn't need to be, I shot them in good light conditions where I was satisfied with how the photos turned out.

I haven't had to do any colour correction for any previous listings. Besides, what would I colour correct? The original photo (the second one I posted) looks perfect. It's only when I upload it to the listing that it gets discoloured. That's what I'm trying to get an answer for.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

@momcqueenwrote:

I spend hours doing colour correction on my photos. Hours. White balance is your friend. 

What is there to colour correct on the original photo (second photo)? I don't believe this is the problem. The problem only occurs when uploading the photos to the listing.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

How many pixels is the original picture??

If it is a large (ie a lot of pixels) picture, I think ebay "downsizes" (condenses) it when it uploads it.

It is possible that is causing the colour variation but it is a very odd symptom, I've never heard of this before.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

The original photo is 2448 x 3696 pixels at 796kb.

I also thought it may be a symptom of the photo being too big so I scaled it down to 1192 x 1800 pixels at 225kb, but the photo is still being "yellowed" when adding to the listing.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Have you published the listing, or are you merely looking at the preview in the listing form?
Message 9 of 21
latest reply

I have yet to publish the listing due to the discolouration. I'm looking at the preview photos in the listing form.
Message 10 of 21
latest reply

The only thing I can think about is the color of the tabletop, and how eBay's system might interpret the color of the photo with this amount of brown present.

Your other photos have a lot less brown in the photo....and.... brown has a  a yellow-like component

Put something black on the table  and then take the same picture.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Here's another example of the problem happening even without the table:

ebay-photo-discolour2.PNG

And here's the original:

DSC_0048.jpg

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

“I have yet to publish the listing due to the discolouration. I'm looking at the preview photos in the listing form.”

It’s entirely possible this is a preview issue. Try publishing and then Revise if required.
Message 13 of 21
latest reply

This has really got me thinking!!!

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

The original photo from reply 12 was taken and added to an active listing of mine...

No yellow color?

Photo was removed......

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

@raolcowrote:
I have yet to publish the listing due to the discolouration. I'm looking at the preview photos in the listing form.

It might be a preview issue. Use the scheduling option in the listing form and schedule the start time to seven days later and submit the listing. The listing will be in exactly the form that an active listing is like. Check if the photos are okay.

If okay, revise the scheduled listing start time to start immediately and submit. Or set a scheduled time that you like.

If not okay, delete the scheduled listing. 

ebay scheduling feature is free for non-store sellers so no charge. 

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

Another thought.

The yellow color appears in the photo when a new listing with the photo is uploaded to eBay.

What if you revise the listing and add a new photo to replace the one with yellow color... in that  new listing on eBay

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

Which listing tool are you using? The Quick Listing tool or Advanced?

The Quick Listing Tool might be doing some auto correction. Why it does not happen on previous listing makes this suggestion not make sense.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

@raolco

It looks to me like you are using the Quick Lister. Each listing tool appears to use a slightly different image uploader, and there can be a big difference within the HTML5 Canvas uploader where all image processing is handled in your browser (because the browsers are all different).

Here is my speculation. Your photos are taken with blue light (fluorescent). The natural correction for blue light is to add yellow. So the automatic "white balance" on your camera will add a yellow filter to create the average color effect that you see in your "original", the color that you find most correct.

There could be something about the browser canvas, the image processor, that is again adding that yellow filter by processing your initial light reading. So what would happen if you eliminate the image EXIF data so that the browser can not read your camera settings. Would the image then upload with the correct color?

I don't know if this experiment is within your grasp, but performing it might answer some questions. You have successfully uploaded to these forums. Can you then drag that forum photo to your desktop and upload again to eBay to see what happens? I don't know if these Lithium forums maintain any EXIF data (I know ebay hosted photos do not).  We could see if the browser was somehow playing with that data when it should not have.  So if Lithium does not maintain EXIF data, then the image should upload correctly because there will be no settings to read and adjust.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

Hi @shipscript,

I am using the Quick Lister. I have yet to use the advanced selling tools since I'm a newer seller.

I eliminated EXIF data and added photos to an existing listing: ebay-photo-discolour3.PNG

This is a listing I set up before this problem began. Adding photos, even the same ones I used originally produce this yellowing. They have all their EXIF data removed.

I also saved photos I've uploaded on this discussion and uploaded it to an existing listing:ebay-no-photo-discolour-.PNG

No yellowing. Step in the right direction?

Message 20 of 21
latest reply