My Nightmare Before Christmas

The story begins a little less than a week ago, Friday night about 9 pm CST. I get a message from the buyer as part of the Request Total service after purchase that they need this item in time for Christmas, can I please quote them a postage cost that will see that happen.

Hmm. Buyer is in Florida. I'm in Winnipeg. Tracked Packet USA is no longer an option, Xpresspost USA is delivered in five business days and TIGHT with it being technically one day or two now past that by the time this starts moving on Monday so I do some research into Priority which ebay likes to pretend doesn't exist since there is no option to quote it on Calculated Shipping or even use it as a line on an invoice. 

Priority USA will get it there in one to two business days and will cost $68-74 depending on what if any discount I can get when I print the label directly through Canada Post EST. I quote the buyer the delivery times and costs for Xpresspost USA and a self-subsidized rate amount and delivery standard for Priority USA. She picks and pays for Priority. We talk. This is for her son, he wants it more than anything else for Christmas, he has special needs it is very very important it arrive in time for Christmas. 

I assure her I understand. I promise her I will pack it tonight and print a label tomorrow and take it directly to the postal counter as soon as it opens on Saturday morning. I do that.

It's 9:10 am on Saturday morning in Winnipeg and the temperature is minus -490 degrees Celsius with the windchill and I am at the authorized agent nearest me. The regular lady isn't working, the staff person who's manned (womanned) the counter for 20 years but it’s open so that’s all that matters. 

I give the parcel to the new girl. I ask for some clarification about exactly how many business days it will take to get to Florida. She is confused, and doesn’t know. She’s holding it in her hands and says, “Where is it going?” to which I reply with concern that the label is somehow illegible to her, “You cannot tell?” because the type size is about six points and I thought it hard to read myself so I outlined the destination in yellow highlighter. Maybe no one can read it? This might pose a problem. But, no, she just hadn't attempted to read it. 

She gets all huffy. “It would have told you how many business days when you bought the label.” I said, “Yes, but it didn’t make sense that it told me zero days.” “Zero days is not a thing,” she says. “I know,” I said, “that is why I’m asking you.”

Annoyed she has to weight this now to get a delivery estimate. “Did you pay $74 to buy this label?” she asks. I say, “No, I paid $68.14 because I used my Solutions for Small Business Card for the modest discount.”

She tells me the guarantee delivery is for Dec. 20. Fine. I am satisfied. As I turn to leave, I ask her if I can get the receipt to show I dropped it off. She says no, and that I already have a receipt because I bought it online. I tell her that she can print a receipt here that shows it was accepted because I get one all the time. She huffs again and does that, telling me that I don’t have to be so NASTY about everything. 

At this point, I have just been accused of being NASTY because I asked this person three questions to which she didn’t know the answers. I really wasn’t being nasty. I gave her no attitude there was no tone, I just wanted to mail a package. I explained that wasn’t nastiness and I didn’t appreciate being accused of that as a customer to my embarrassment at the people standing in line behind me. She tells me that she’s unconcerned because she’s the store manager. Remember this is an authorized dealer inside a drug store. Maybe she's a manager of some aspect of the store but it's not the postal counter, I can tell you that.

I take my Acceptance Scan Receipt and seethe all the way home. Nasty. I call the 1-800-number to complain to Canada Post about how I was treated rudely when I did nothing worse than ask questions to which she had no answers and it made her feel inadequate I suppose, and that they’ve staffed their counter with someone who knows less than the people she’s attempting to serve. The Customer Service Rep is apologetic and I take an incident number for my complaint.

I watch tracking for this because, after all, it is important. Priority USA is a weird hybrid service where Canada Post outsources the parcel to FedEx for movement across the border so it shows only Electronic Information Submistted and Accepted at the Post Office until mid-afternoon on Dec. 20 at which point I decide this is not right and I call Canada Post.

Sure enough, the parcel is nowhere to be found. Not delivered, not even locatable within the postal system. Apparently, what is supposed to happen when a customer (me) brings in a Priority package is that the agent (nasty girl) calls Canada Post head office to have them schedule a pick-up with FedEx to get the ball rolling and it goes from there.

That did not happen. I speak with three people at Canada Post, initiate a high-priority trace and explain my situation with the buyer and promise and her child with special needs. “Do you have another one you can send?” is the question they all ask. 

As I am opening a claim with FedEx for the lost parcel and standing at the top of a ladder with a phone in one hand and two dozen diecasts airplanes in another, I find a spare to send the lady and create an account with FedEx so I can ship it directly with them and I have a pick-up scheduled within the hour. FedEx man comes, takes my package away, it’s in Tennessee within two hours and was delivered ahead of schedule to my buyer in Florida today.

I gave my buyer an abbreviated (polite) explanation as to the reason I was sending her another and thanked her in advance for her patience. 

What do you think happened to my original package? I have a sneaking suspicion the drug store employee pulled the postal equivalent of a ‘waiter spitting in your food’ and when I mentioned the trouble I had that morning on drop-off to the senior CSR at CPC, she was shocked and suggested the same thing as my worst fear: that the girl dumped it into lettermail or filed it under G because she was angry with me for asking questions that made her feel stupid.

This is the very reason I compulsively watch tracking on my outbound packages. I made a promise to my buyer and it would have been broken had I not taken matters into my own hands and fixed it before the buyer knew there had been a problem.

Gave her my word as both a mother and a toy seller that she would have this for Christmas and, come heck or high water, she now does.

The end.

I wonder if FedEx will reimburse me for the lost package. It seems odd that it becomes their responsibility to do so when it never reached them at all. We'll see. 

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

I'd like to point out that every person I spoke with at Canada Post was excellent. 

Ditto for Fed Ex.

This missing package is not par for the course. But the scenario so raised my blood pressure that I thought it worthwhile to share so that other sellers may learn something from it. Like maybe you might have to TELL the person at the authorized dealer counter that they  have to call CPC head office to have someone schedule a FedEx pickup when a Priority package comes in. 

I don't know if I'll ever see this parcel again. 

The FedEx agent says that if it ever turns up in their system, they will re-route it back to me. 

CPC said to tell the receiver to refuse delivery so that I get it back.

Time will tell. 

Message 2 of 41
latest reply

Do you plan to let the counter person know how much trouble she caused? or  Will she be talked to by Canada Post re this parcel?

Message 3 of 41
latest reply

CPC said they will deal with it at a store level.

I don't know if I'll see her again. For someone who claimed to be a store manager, I had never laid eyes on her until that morning. And I'm in that store six times a week. P
Message 4 of 41
latest reply

i have not had this type of problem with Canada Post or drug store outlets but I know from dealing with both that many of the new postal clerks are not trained very well.   Most of this happens at the outlets but have found that even at the main post offices many employees have no clue.    Their manual sits on a shelf that they never read.

A recent happening for me was when I was shipping a light packet to the US (Cost of $5.70)    I had already placed stamps and a customs sticker on it.  New clerk sees the customs sticker,  counts the postage  and states that I had not put enough postage on for a small package.   Told her it was a light packet not a small package.   She did not know that there was such a thing as a light packet.   She had been working 3 or 4 month already,  so she should have known.    Makes one wonder how many customers she may have overcharged by nearly $3.00

As a customer,  I make sure I know  what my rate is before I go in.   In the case of the postal outlet,  when they insisted that I am wrong (and I was not),  I have taken my package and have taken it to the main post,  where the staff are somewhat more informed.   I then make the 1 - 800 phone call with details.   Not sure how much that helps but makes me feel better.

Message 5 of 41
latest reply

I've said it before but if you ask 10 postmasters the same question you'll get 11 different answers...

I know from my experience in my wee post office over the last decades that they just get things (aka the procedures etc) figured out and then things get changed on them with little to no warning, training or totally competent support help (they have their own CSRs who seem to have a variety of different answers for the same problem too)

It has not been uncommon for me to know upcoming changes before my postmasters over the years....

I am most lucky because I'm in a wee small village and any of the "imports" covering for the regulars have been advised in advance to treat the ebayers kindly (since we're playing a big role keeping the PO open!).

Generally my PO folks here have been awesome. Some certainly a lot better trained than others* but on average they've been great....

*My own nightmare was caused by a temporary person who put the to address on the system as my address, so it went to mississagua, the machine sent it back they looked at the physical address in London sent it back to Missisagua and it went back and forth a few times, alas the buyer was an insane one before the problem, it was a real big problem.

Message 6 of 41
latest reply

There can be no doubt that this 'store manager' was inadequately trained to operate the postal counter but what gives me chills is the possibility that she railroaded my package into oblivion as a deliberate act as opposed to an ignorant one. And of all the times for it to happen....
Message 7 of 41
latest reply

I agree with you about the poorly trained postal clerks and that many time they try to upsell the service/postage.  They will ask me if I want insurance on a clearly marked $5 CD, or what about tracking almost trying to intimidate me into getting that too.   It's like when you go to McDonalds and they ask would you like fries with that or make it a meal?

Every time for months they would put my item (CD) through the test slot to make sure it would fit to qualify for oversize lettermail.  I finally brought in mine to show them I had one and that I never seal the envelope till I was sure it fit.   I have the 4 PO outlets that I deal with trained now but every time I get a new person I have to train them again.

Now for those who bought the fries and or the meal when they didn't want it.  I feel sorry for them, but I am not going to speak out in the PO outlet that they just got ripped off. 

Message 8 of 41
latest reply

I have totally hollered out the correct answer in line if I hear the person in front of me getting incorrect information. I've done it politely, of course. The postal manager at this location, in fact, thanked me the last time.

I really wasn't sassing this girl. But it marks a disappointing end to a great run of service by Canada Post this holiday season. This was the only time they (or one of their reps) really blew it for me. And I've lost an expensive toy which I had to resend at a cost of $20 more in postage than the buyer paid.

Until now, the deliveries incoming and outgoing by CPC had been excellent. That's the reason I felt they needed to know how far from the mark it fell in the end.
Message 9 of 41
latest reply

Last Christmas, I watched a new girl (now gone) struggle to explain to her customer the reason his postage cost to uk at the counter had doubled on his 505 g package when the other he brought had cost only half that at 489 g. I listened to the worker and customer moan and groan and re-measure and re-quote for a good five minutes while I waited in line, sweating in my six layers of winter coats, before I explained that Small Packets airmail has postage platforms where cost doubles at each level. I don't understand how a person could have worked at the counter for a year already (she had) without figuring that out. I wasn't rude, but I was desperate to get out of there already.
Message 10 of 41
latest reply

I actually had a similar thing happen to me a while ago. I was returning something back east with a tracking number & the new postal girl somehow put my name as the place for it to be returned. So I literally watched my parcel go back & forth from Vancouver to Ontario, then back to Vancouver then back to Ontario, for a whole month. I had to phone Canada Post & finally they were able to jump in & retrieve my parcel & correct it.  It is funny now but it was a nightmare when it happened.

Message 11 of 41
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry it happened to you.  As for me I am "shutting down" (not actually shutting down my eBay, I mean I will not pack, ship anything) today (23rd)  until December 28 and then shutting down again until January 3 or 4.  The last item I shipped was today and that is it.  I don't need undue pressure or hassle and I would tell my buyers, sorry I was out of town due to Christmas, etc., even I am home the whole time to save myself from undue pressure or hassle.   The buyers can be so impatient and unreasonable which is not acceptable.

As for this clerk, I would keep going back there to see if she is there and approach her for this horrible experience you had and see what she said.

Message 12 of 41
latest reply

Yes, I plan to mention it to the postal manager when I see her next and I'll certainly speak to this girl about it should I see her again but I'm not hopeful that will happen. She's not trained postal counter staff, that much was plain. She shouldn't have been standing in that department. And if she had to work it with no training, I shouldn't have had to deal with her attitude as a result. I worked in retail too. I quite liked it but if ever I made a mistake, I was properly apologetic to the customer, not unecessarily aggressive like this person. I'm still taken aback by her actions. And then my order evaporated!

All my markdowns ended at 11 pm CST tonight and I plan to leave them like that until Dec. 25. My prices are high so people tend not to buy things unless they're on sale. I don't expect any orders placed over the next two days when I have most of my celebrating to do. There's a forecast for a big storm that pushed our Boxing Day Brunch plans right quickly to tomorrow morning!
Message 13 of 41
latest reply

mjwl2006 wrote:

At this point, I have just been accused of being NASTY because I asked this person three questions to which she didn’t know the answers. I really wasn’t being nasty. I gave her no attitude there was no tone, I just wanted to mail a package. I explained that wasn’t nastiness and I didn’t appreciate being accused of that

Of course it wasn't you.  Some people are just like that. Everything is a personal affront. They see confrontation and hostility everywhere no matter how obvious it is that there is none at all, just statements and facts. All the time it is them who is putting it there. All that 'hostility' resides only in themselves and they project it on to others.  It is horrible to be wrongly accused like that.  And very frustrating to encounter someone who knows less than you but thinks they know more and when clearly they don't they make a malicious and unwarranted accusation.  Terrible.  

And what does she do?  Slyly retaliates behind your back to hurt you.  People like that are despicable.  But sadly, not exactly rare.  

I am glad you reported the clerk.  Treating someone the way she treated you is stinking, rotten and totally unacceptable.  You were in the right, knew what you were talking about, and tough nuts if she didn't like it.  She was probably hired as temporary Christmas help so maybe with luck you have seen the last of her.  

mjwl2006 wrote:

I find a spare to send the lady and create an account with FedEx so I can ship it directly with them and I have a pick-up scheduled within the hour. FedEx man comes, takes my package away, it’s in Tennessee within two hours and was delivered ahead of schedule to my buyer in Florida today.

I gave my buyer an abbreviated (polite) explanation as to the reason I was sending her another and thanked her in advance for her patience. 

YOU, on the other hand, are absolutely amazing!!  Wow.  Not many people would have gone to the trouble you did.  Not that we're bad or indifferent, but I don't think we'd have thought of it.   I wouldn't.  I think a lot of us would have schlepped out of the post office, flopped into our car, drove home using a few hand signals along the way, stomped into the house, slammed the door, kicked the cat, and flopped down into the squishiest chair and seethed about it, waiting for the defect to go with our coffee and red donut.  

What a great story!  Thanks for sharing.  Not only was it savory good to read, but interesting and informative.  I would never thought to go to all that trouble, calling the post office, sorting out how to get another to the buyer this time for sure.  I hope your buyer can appreciate the lengths and trouble you went to, but I doubt it.  People so rarely appreciate true goodness.  So please do come back and tell us all about what happened to the first parcel and if you ever hear about it again, if it comes back to you, if it gets refunded by the shipping company, or if it just ends up showing "Delivered" and you are never told word one about it.   

Now that I've had a nice bedtime story, I'm going to turn in.   🙂  

7 christmas.jpg

Message 14 of 41
latest reply

The saga continues.

I see overnight this original, lost parcel has turned up at a CPC processing facility in Mississauga and was immediately shunted to FedEx who sent it directly to Tennessee despite the call-back trace on it. I call FedEx which operates a 24-hour line for customer service and speak to someone at 6 am local time who assures me the trace department will get it back for me. I really cannot afford to ship two for the price of one and I'm already out-of-pocket more than a hundred bucks on this for subsidizing the original postage and outright buying the replacement Express service postage for the other. Not to mention hours of my time trying to trouble-shoot a solution, and a second relatively pricey toy when only one was purchased.

I can now assume that the unskilled counter girl with her special blend of arrogance and ignorance punted my parcel into the regular airmail bin and it somehow floated through the system for four business days without being scanned until it got to the last point of handling prior to export where someone looked at it and said, "Hey, this is for FedEx!' and called FedEx to take it off their hands. 

It's really an exercise in frustration. 

We have company coming today and a evening activity planned (because it is, after all, Christmas) but I intend to call Canada Post back to follow-up on my original incident report about the rudeness of the worker with a complete breakdown of what happened afterwards. As a customer, I find this to be unacceptable. I cannot do my job as a seller if I have to micromanage what my carrier is supposed to be doing and if this 'nasty' girl really is a store manager in some capacity a the drug store, she of all people would have known she was unqualified to staff the postal counter. They have about six 'trained' staff on rotation there for evening and weekend shifts that can do better, and without the attitude. Not all the workers are friendly and one older woman certainly has some rough edges that took awhile to get past but I'm friends with them all now, especially the postal manager who is also going to be told exactly how badly this went for me when next I see her.

Message 15 of 41
latest reply

After reading all the horror stories about post office clerks on this board as well as .com, I am so happy I have fantastic staff at my post office.

Just dropped off a tray of cookies and chocolates because I know they are a rare find!

Will Canada Post refund the original package shipping cost?

Message 16 of 41
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

The saga continues.

......... somehow (my item)  floated through the system for four business days without being scanned until it got to the last point of handling prior to export where someone looked at it and said, "Hey, this is for FedEx!' and called FedEx to take it off their hands. 

You once posted that you wait to see that all your packages get an acceptance scan when you drop them off.

Didn't you see the acceptance scan for this one?

Message 17 of 41
latest reply

Yes. The problem was that it didn't move anywhere after that until the guaranteed delivery date was a day past. That part is explained in the first post.
Message 18 of 41
latest reply

Oops.  Just skimmed your first post again and saw that you got an acceptance scan receipt.  Smiley Embarassed

With the type of service you used is there guaranteed delivery and a refund if it's later than promised over-the-border?

Message 19 of 41
latest reply

Supposedly. Worldwide Priority is the fastest service available.
Message 20 of 41
latest reply