Need some help interpreting ebay buyers money back guarantee policy

baby.g33
Community Member
I recently had a USAbuyer message me to inform me they did not receive their item and that tracking shows that the package was "out for delivery" a couple weeks ago, but then it got "forwarded" , and it gives a generic reason of this being due to "wrong post code on package and /or buyer requested mail forwarding to another address"

The buyer claims they called usps and got little info out of them and that they tried calling canada post as well and they claim canada post said something about it being a glitch in the system and that they get lots of mail at this address. Either way they dont have the package.

They seem to be expecting I either locate the package and get it back to them,or give them a refund.

They are talking like they have the upperhand on me and theres no chance they wont ask ebay to step in and probably will leave me some **bleep**py feedback if I deny them at least one of those outcomes.

I would like to avoid dealing with usps if i can because its intimidating. To be honest Im awfully confused by this whole story and once again i feel like i dont get paid enough to have to deal with usps over an address issue because when it comes down to it thats the address they supplied (and canada post is frustrating enough.)

I do get the impression that this is an honest and normally unproblematic buyer (based on feedback profile), and they seem very chill regarding this whole thing, but the story is still striking me as a bit odd. And why did they wait 2 weeks to inform me. I feel like even if I tried any chance of getting it rerouted again at no cost are slim (and I already included FREE SHIPPING so I am already cutting into my earnings as is.)

Now they have opened a case with ebay, and I immediately got them to verify their address in the chat for ebay to see.

Now I know this possibly sounds harsh Id rather not refund them unless ebay is going to force me to anyway. To which I can suck it up.

But I see there is something written about this scenario in the ebay money back guarantee for buyers but Im just not certain it fits the paramaters for coverage from myself the seller, so can anybody tell me if this buyer is supposed to be covered for this issue by my own funds, or not?

thank you
Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Need some help interpreting ebay buyers money back guarantee policy

This sounds kind of like what happened to me. I think my buyer moved and had their mail held. Tracking just paused for a few weeks. When they forwarded it on to their new address, tracking never updated on the package (it didn't indicate it was being held for forwarding). I suspect the packages are all bundled together when this happens so they aren't scanned individually, just forwarded on as a bundle. They probably got their letters in a separate bundle from the held packages, so assumed the package was lost. With no tracking update, I can see why they'd think that. I didn't get a sense that they were being dishonest.

I had to refund them. I then filed a claim with Canada Post. Several days later (after it would have been too late for the eBay case), the buyer apparently got the package and my claim was denied. The tracking still doesn't show as delivered.  Unfortunately, it might be easiest to just eat it assuming it's a smaller sale, file a claim, cross your fingers, and hope for the best. Whatever you do, make sure you do it before the claim closes against you or you'll get a strike.

The one thing that might save you is tracking showing an address issue, which sellers aren't supposed to be responsible for. Did you use eBay labels? If so, there's a chance you might win the claim since eBay knows the error isn't on your end.  There's also a good chance the bot will rule against you and you'll have to spend a lot of time trying to get a courtesy refund from eBay and removal of the strike and feedback. If you go this route, contact someone on eBay for Business on Facebook and see if they agree that you aren't responsible. Make sure they leave a note on your file. That would help you alot.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Sorry, I have to ask as you didn't make it clear in your post:  Did you ship the item to the address that came with the transaction details?

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Have you checked the tracking directly on usps.com just to see if that the tracking information given there is the same as what is seen on eBay. It is possible that there is more info there.  

Did you ask the buyer if they had moved and were having their mail forwarded?  
If an item is forwarded at the request of the buyer than you wouldn't be responsible for a lost package as long as you shipped to the payment address.  But I think the term 'forwarded' can mean a couple of different things so I don't know if you would win here.

Is it possible to give us the tracking number or to see a screenshot of the tracking on  usps? (Any personal info could be blacked out) I would like to ask someone who is really familiar with eBay and who uses usps to see what they think.

If you do end up refunding you should be able to file a claim with Canada Post.  If you go that route, ask the buyer for an email address as CP will need that.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Note that the case has a "due date" and if that's April 23rd, it really means you have to refund before midnight April 22nd as the bots will rule against you just after midnight on the 22nd, I know this from personal experience at 12:03AM on the due date.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

First thing to do is to go directly to USPS.com and CanadaPost.com - copy and paste the tracking number into each site and see what it says. Don't just look at the tracking as it displays on eBay's website. If either say delivered, you are likely covered by seller protection.

https://www.usps.com/help/missing-mail.htm

Go to the third option "Missing Mail Report". 

Trust me, it is not intimidating. You fill out a form. USPS will e-mail you. 

Let the buyer know that you have opened a missing mail report and that USPS may contact them for additional details. If the package is actually missing, this will usually resolve it. Maybe I have just been lucky, but USPS tends to find things still in their system when reports are open. 

If the buyer opens a case, you can copy in the tracking number into the case. If it is marked as delivered, you should be covered. If it has not been delivered yet, but is out for delivery/forwarded, I am not sure. But there is not much else you can do at that point if you have already opened a missing mail report. 

I would not refund without the buyer opening a case. If it does not show as delivered, and you have exhausted your options via (you, not the buyer) opening the appropriate reports with USPS and Canada Post, then politely request that your buyer open a case as a formality. Enter the tracking, and go from there. 

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

what do you mean??

i thought i have as much time as the buyer is willing to allow?

or do youmean they could get ebay to step in anytime and it wont be in my favor?

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

please help

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

the due date is april 19 and nothings happend so far.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

im confused..the buyer,myself and ebay all have the tracking. i used ebaylabels.

i tried updating with the tracking number i already have and it changes nothing,just tells me to take another action.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

The due date of the case the buyer opened, or the due date of the item arrival?

I meant the due date of the case, it will be in the note you got from eBay when they opened the INR case.

If its the due date of the case, I don't know how you escaped the bots automagically closing the case, it might be because there's a tracking number attached. (in my case I don't think I had a tracking number for the 1203am automagically closed one).

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Some parts of cases are automated.

Contact eBay directly with those tracking screen shots. Explain that you shipped it to the exact address so either one of the following happened:

1. The buyer made a mistake with their postal code. (as stated on the tracking page)
  2. The buyer used an outdated address that they have forwarding set up for. 
  3. You shipped to the exact address, and there was a delivery attempt to that address. It only was not marked as delivered due to USPS forwarding the item due to the buyer's error (wrong or old address). 
  4. Therefore, you would like eBay to step in and close the case.

If you have Twitter or Facebook, direct message eBay through their @AskeBay page. It is generally their best version of customer service. (You can sign up for a Twitter account and just not use it for Tweeting).

Otherwise, contact eBay through this page: https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/ask-ebay-to-step-in?id=4702#:~:text=not%20....

Scroll to the bottom where it says "Contact Us", click it, ask to speak to an agent. 

You have to get them to understand that there was a delivery attempt to the address the customer provided, and it was forwarded either at the request or error of the customer. (I'm assuming you shipped to the exact address provided and didn't make an error.)

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@ricarmic 
When there is tracking eBay doesn't step in unless asked to by buyer or seller.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Are the screenshots you posted from eBay or ftom the usps site?  The messages may differ on the 2 sites which is why it's important to show the info from usps.   You can show a screenshot by saving it to your computer and then clicking on the camera icon at the top of the post.

Have you checked the zip code to see if it matches the address?  You can do that on this page.    https://tools.usps.com/zip-code-lookup.htm

Have you asked the buyer if the address on the eBay label is their current address or if their mail is being forwarded?

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

The screenshot is from USPS @pjcdn2005 . I believe @baby.g33 is worrying over nothing. Tracking indicates the buyer had mail forwarding on their package. Even if forwarded for an address correction (which is less likely due to the timestamps), that's on the buyer, not the seller.

As long as the seller shipped to the address on the eBay order, they are covered by seller protections as this indicates delivery atempt per eBay guidelines.** If not already done, add tracking to the non-receipt claim. On .com tracking will auto-fill into the claim, but sellers still click a button to confirm it's correct. That step is important as it shows the seller has responded to the claim.

**This statement assumes .ca and .com have the same policy on what counts as a delivery attempt. I'm in the US and sell on .com - those of you in CA will know better than I do on that specific point.

20240420_183656.jpg

Message 16 of 16
latest reply