Why do some sellers not mail to PO boxes

Before I moved to our present address 2 years ago, we worked on a missionary school campus with many families for 34 years, and we only had PO boxes, we never had a problem with it. I see sellers often refuse to send to them.

The addresses I have had problems with are business names, a library, a museum, etc.

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

The only reason not to ship to a PO Box is if you do not ship by the Post Office but use a private courrier such as UPS or FEDEX because only the Post Office can deliver to PO boxes.

Some sellers are mindless drones who copy what other people do and block PO boxes simply because they have seen others do the same.

Message 2 of 42
latest reply

Thank you, no good reason to block. If you are expecting a delivery from a company other that CP, you just give your street address. The small town that we lived in ONLY had PO boxes.

Message 3 of 42
latest reply

nan*55
Community Member

Well I live on a farm and only have PO box..If I have too I get stuff delivered to my moms in town. But as a buyer I shy away from anyone who uses a courer sevice as it`s very unreliable in my neck of the woods. Just had a pârcel from UK take 7 weeks          😞 with DHL

Message 4 of 42
latest reply

jiggy28
Community Member

There is another reason:

I am a seller and used to ship anywhere until one day a buyer claimed he did not received his goods, although I did ship it with a tracking number.

When I claimed to Canada Post and spoke to an investigator he advised that they can not be responsible if an item is not shipped to a "street" address.

Becaused I did shipped it with a tracking number and the value was registered in their system I was able to get my money back and refunded the buyer

Canada Post seriously advised that if I didn't have a tracking number, they couldn't do anything for me.

From then on, I am not shipping to P.O. Box number unless buyers agrees that HE/SHE is fully responsible should the shipment does not reach them.

I's rather not ship than lose my stuff. It is a lot cheaper and a lot less trouble for me to just throw my goods in the garbage than get the hassle of listing, packing, shipping only to have to refund the buyer at the end.

Buyer have a choice to buy their items from another vendor if they don't understand my (our) point of view.

Message 5 of 42
latest reply

nan*55
Community Member

You were misinformed. Items can be tracked to PO boxes exactly the same as street addresses.

Message 6 of 42
latest reply

I agree with you Karl. A PO box is far safer than having something delivered to a " street " address. I keep a seperate address on file for UPS or Fedex deliveries, but I try to avoid buying fron a seller ( in the US ) that uses them because of the usurious brokerage fees. I have no options where I live other than a PO box, and sellers that refuse to ship to them are just shortsighted and misinformed.

Message 7 of 42
latest reply

When you have a Post Office box and a parcel arrives that requires pickup from them and/or signature - you have to go to their counter and ask for it - and the clerk is always supposed to ask you for ID (even if they know you, have known you for 30 years, its mandated) - therefore, seems it might be even more easily tracked and delivered to the RIGHT person that a guy in a delivery van stopping at a house and getting a signature from the person answering the doorbell!

Photobucket

Message 8 of 42
latest reply

When I claimed to Canada Post and spoke to an investigator he advised that they can not be responsible if an item is not shipped to a "street" address.

The CP "investigator" was wrong twice. First, if the item was insured then CP will pay out on the $100 insurance against loss or damage in transit whether you have "tracking " or not. The exception is the Letter/Light Packet service, which cannot be insured.

And as stated above, PO boxes are covered by CP insurance, which is only logical since they are more secure than street delivery.

That "investigator" is probably now working for eBay Customer Service. :_|

Message 9 of 42
latest reply

That "investigator" is probably now working for eBay Customer Service.

LOL!

Great one Femme!

Message 10 of 42
latest reply

I do not ship to po boxes anymore because i have had numerous problems regarding trracking, it seems that each time i ship to a po box, the item is untrackable, some customers know this and exploit this fact.

Message 11 of 42
latest reply

nan*55
Community Member

it seems that each time i ship to a po box, the item is untrackable, some customers know this and exploit this fact.

That is the biggest bunch of bull I've ever heard! Are you saying because my only option for mail delivery is a PO box, that I am untrust worthy? Get you FACTS straight before you make comments like that!

Message 12 of 42
latest reply

Revenue Canada has a PO Box address ...

Does that mean they are crooks  B-)

Message 13 of 42
latest reply

nan*55
Community Member

No comment to that one karl 😉

Message 14 of 42
latest reply

It wouldn't surprise me if most CP Investigators and workers in the cities don't know that small towns in Ontario don't have delivery to one's residence (street address) and that the only option is a P.O. Box located at the Post Office.  

Message 15 of 42
latest reply

I do not ship to po boxes anymore because i have had numerous problems regarding trracking, it seems that each time i ship to a po box, the item is untrackable, some customers know this and exploit this fact.

Please  stop posting lies like this !

Message 16 of 42
latest reply

mmn2006cat
Community Member

What drives me nuts is when they do not say anything in the ad.

Then you as customer go to pay. AND BAM YOUR STUCK you then sit there and wait for a reply from seller. To see what they want to do.It ticks me off cause

1st you want the item you want to pay.

2nd you do not want to be looked at like a shifty customer who doesnt pay or have a negative rep.

All this  just cause in the  ad is no [sorry we don't ship to Po boxes]

Or what really gets me as a customer you find the item you want you pay all clears and then there is a refund  with no explanation you write them and ask what happend and you get an email back [ I SPEAK NO ENGLISH] Sorry but this dosen't explain nothing.

Or as a customer you can't do diddely if your a nice person and the item doesnt come you wait more and then you finally say something to ebay and its to late and your out the cash can't even give a bad replay cause its too late or the seller is no longer an ebay member. and if you do catch it in time wow there is a nasty replay from seller and still no item ebay says wait longer you do and still nothing.

I'm just saying seems like the nice guy finishes last a lot

Message 17 of 42
latest reply

wwestcanada
Community Member

WRONG: the reason sellers won't ship to PO Boxes is because #1 they can charge more for Courier Services

#2 the Courier Company's charge atrocious fees for collecting Duties & Taxes to International Countries.  Duty $3.50, Tax $3.50 Collection Fees: $50.00

Shipping via USPS / CANADA POST: Duties & Taxes the same.  Collection Fee: $0.00 so that's priceless to me.

Do your homework before stating lies.

Whoever told you you can't get Tracking #'s for PO Boxes is an out and out LIAR....USPS / CANADA POST give tracking #'s 

on ALL addresses, regardless if it's a Street Address or PO box.

FYI: I work for Canada Post in a rural Post Office and we deliver parcels every day of the week to PO Boxes - with Tracking #'s on the parcels.

think about it:  where do people who live in rural communities get their mail?  At a PO box in a rural Post Office.  Sheesh, some people are so ignorant of the facts but will argue anyway!

Message 18 of 42
latest reply

wwestcanada
Community Member

YOU ARE WRONG

If you choose to send small or light packet you will NOT get a tracking #.

You need to ask for parcel post with a Tracking # - regardless where it is being sent via USPS / CANADA POST.

I know, I work for Canada Post in a rural post office...and deliver / send International Parcels every day to PO Boxes.

Just ask for parcel postage with a tracking # and it will be sent & delivered...if not, you have at least $100. insurance automatically...and can purchase more if required. But to say parcels will not be delivered to a PO box is wrong.. Check your facts before commenting on topics you obviously know nothing about.

Message 19 of 42
latest reply

wwestcanada: I agree, I only had a PO box for over 30 years, never a problem with delivery. The only time I had to have delivery to street address was when a company itself was delivering, like Staples.

Message 20 of 42
latest reply