About expedited shipping

This might be a stupid question...

I printed a Paypal shipping label for expedited USA parcel over 48 hours ago (I planned to drop it off at a post office tomorrow, buyer aware). I used 32 x 25 x 7cm and 1.5kg for shipping dimension & weight.

Today I acquired a box that's slightly bigger (33 x 26 x 10cm, total weight still under 1.5kg). I checked it with Paypal for an estimate and it is still the same shipping cost as what I printed before. Can I still use the same label I printed so that I could use the newer and sturdier box or would it get bounced back because it has different dimensions from what I originally inputted?

Thanks =D 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

About expedited shipping

That is an excellent question. There was a lot of discussion about issues like this over on Seller Central dot com.

It seems there are a lot of folks actively cheating by printing false labels knowing that the parcel probably will not be checked.

CP has no record of the dimensions you inputed. It was all part of the equation: L + W + H + weight = postage. As the postage is the same, there is no problem. If it was different, it would need to pulled aside somewhere, weighed, measured, assessed. Unless a particular PO is having a problem with that, it is unlikely to happen.

What is problematic is pre-printing lables. That you should not do. Expedited has a service window and you are circumventing that with holding the label for three days.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

About expedited shipping

Yes, the postage is definitely the same. Cool, I'll use the newer box (it came with my textbooks today) =D Thanks!

Ah, since Paypal does ask for planned drop off date so I thought it'd be fine. And I do it early so that the buyer gets an e-mail saying that I already paid for postage. I guess next time I'll try to print them closer to when I drop them off. 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

About expedited shipping

tobyshitzu
Community Member

Its fine even if it wasn't at the right rate, they'd just bill your payment method if id was short what the cubiscan measured.  They are supposed to automatically refund if you overpay, but Ive never heard of that hapening

It would still be delivered if you deposited it long after it was printed, thats how I got scammed $200.  Someone put another address on top and mailed it with the same label.  CP just started tracking again to a new address after they had already shown delivered. 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

About expedited shipping

...how does it work, someone else putting an address on top?? @__@ Wouldn't CP or USPS (I'm mailing to Hawaii) realize that the address on the label differs from the one purchased w/ the tracking number?! And I do use a labelope for the label I printed so if people want to wreck mine they'd have to tear open the labelope or stick it on top, making it obvious that it has been tempered.

Well, I'm gonna drop it off at a post office outlet, not a street box (item is $100 so I'm not gonna take that risk) so if anyone does it it'd happen internally, I suppose. 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

About expedited shipping

I have 2 new questions...

First, when is FVF charged in additional shipping? For my sales during the last few months, I don't see a FVF charge for shipping cost (such as international ones), only a FVF on the item price. But I just sold an item on .COM to the US, the buyer chose small packet air and paid the additional difference, and I saw a FVF being charged on the shipping portion on my account... why? I don't think it should be charged. I list all my listings on .COM with "free" listing (incorporating small packet surface into item price), so shouldn't that technically be "cheapest" option available? Please correct me if I was wrong... 

Second question, I'm gonna mail the item tomorrow with small packet air. Is it still considered insured...? 

Thanks!

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

About expedited shipping

Anonymous
Not applicable

FVF usually comes on your monthly statement right after the buyer paid.  FVF for the item comes on right away when it is sold but not for shipping until the buyer paid, then FVF on shipping is added.  Check your monthly statement for those FVFs.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

About expedited shipping

Hmm for a book sold to a buyer in Austria few days ago, no FVF was charged on international shipping. FVF was charged on the book itself only ("free" shipping inclusive of domestic shipping charge). That listing was on .CA though. So I wonder if there's different fee structure between the two...?

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

About expedited shipping

Sometimes there is a delay between FVF charged on the purchased item  and the shipping cost...

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

About expedited shipping

tobyshitzu
Community Member

The sites are different.  If you have listings on both sites with shipping  set up the same way, like

Canada:Free

USA: $X

Intl $Y

Then a purchase on .ca by anyone won't have any FVF charge on the shipping

Same item with same prices on .com will have FVF charged on the USA $X to anyone except a Canadian

So its almost always advantageous for FVF to have .ca listings

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

About expedited shipping

Same item with same prices on .com will have FVF charged on the USA $X to anyone except a Canadian

I see... thanks for clarifying. Yes, I do have my shipping set up pretty much the way you mentioned on .com. For USA it's $0 (surface SP) and $X (air SP) and the buyer chose $X. So confusing. Oh well.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply