Buyer purchased, paid, now wants to cancel

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi all,

This should be an easy fix as I know how to complete a mutual, but this buyer purchased several items, paid, and now wants to cancel their order because they want their items by Friday. She said that after she paid she saw that I was in Saskatchewan even though on all of my listings I mention this.

She wants a refund. However, if I refund completely, I'm out my final value fees which amounts to 12% because all of these items were in my store.

How do I go about this? Once a buyer pays there is no way to file a mutual. And, I don't feel like loosing 12% plus on a non-sale.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Susan
Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Explain the situation to her - you don't want to lose the fees.

Then offer the mutual as a solution. Refund AFTER she agrees to the mutual.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Since she has paid, that option does not appear any longer.

Perhaps I'll offer her a refund minus my FVF, along with relisting fees and PayPal fees incurred.

I normally do not accept returns and technically this is several. In looking through this buyer's recent purchases....I see where she has bought all of the same items from another seller in the States...one day later.

I think this is moreso a case of buyer's remorse.

Susan
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Once you refund her, you will be able to file a mutual. I've done it a few times.I'm guessing too that if you click on "unmark as payment received" that you will have the mutual option.
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Refund
File for mutual
Close case after 8 days if buyer does not respond
Move on
Life is too short to sweat the small stuff 🙂

Bernie
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi Bernie,

You are right about not sweating the small stuff. However, $39.00+ dollars in FVF's is not small stuff to me. I don't run a BIG business!

I've refunded the buyer minus my fees. She was happy.

*S*
Susan
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

However, $39.00+ dollars in FVF's is not small stuff to me.

I doubt that $39 would be small stuff to anyone. But why make the buyer pay the fees when you could get them back from ebay?
Just curious.

PJ
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

However, $39.00+ dollars in FVF's is not small stuff to me.

I doubt that $39 would be small stuff to anyone. But why make the buyer pay the fees when you could get them back from ebay?
Just curious.

PJ
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Hi Susan. What a PITA. I had a similar situation recently but the buyer did not pay. One month later after I was nice enough to warn her that an unpaid item case was about to be opened, she let me know that she bought the pattern by mistake somewhere else a few days later (funny how that one got paid). Anyhow I didn't sweat it and did a mutual. I didn't even block her.

What I don't understand in your case though is why you just didn't refund her and do the mutual? (yes as others mentioned you can do the mutual if you refund). Even if she never responded to the mutual, you would still have gotten your FVF's back. Now you've put yourself at risk for receiving lower DSR's and possible negative feedback.
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Susan,

As I suggested previously and as substantiated by others,I don't know why you just didn't refund the full amount and claimed a "Mutual". That way eBay would have reimbursed your fees instead of the customer paying for them.

Now your customer probably has ill-feelings in respect to the $39 she paid.

You can probably still refund the balance to her and file for a mutual - much more peaceful that way 🙂

Bernie
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi everyone,

The information that I received from eBay HELP was contrary to what had been stated here. They said that if I refunded the payment and the buyer did not follow through with the mutual, then I would not get my FVF's back.

It's obvious that you all have done this and have been successful. As I have not had this happen in all the years I've been on eBay, I wrote to the buyer and we worked it out. I will, however, keep this in mind for the next time, if ever, this happens.

She said that after buying most everything that she had bought from me and then changed her mind...she purchased from another buyer in the States within the same and/or next day. She thought she would save money on shipping.

She said that she did save on shipping, however, it cost her much more in the long run because the product wasn't on sale.

Live and learn for both of us.

I'm not worried about a negative or a neutral as I feel that we both conducted ourselves in a very polite and professional manner...nothing less.

Thank you all though for this information and as I mentioned....I will remember this if ever there is a next time.

Have a good night!
Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Susan,

It does work. Even if the buyer does not reply to the mutual, you can close it after 8 days and you will get a FVF refund.

Only if your customer replies "Do Not Agree" are you hooped but why would your customer do that if she has received a full refund?

Bernie
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi Bernie,

Makes perfect sense! And, I have printed this thread out so that IF it ever happens in the future, I will know what to do.

THANK YOU!
Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 13 of 13
latest reply