First off- fairly new to selling. I have items listed on auction but NOT buy it now

Recently, I had 2 requests from potential buyers for an item that is listed 'on auction' but not with a buy it now price---to sell ahead of the end of the auction period. From a friend that WAS  selling on ebay, I understand there is a penalty to do this.  I have answered NO to both requests. (same item) I don't understand how to do link things- it's the Jada Option D diecast model Kit.

What is the procedure if I do that; and any consequences?  I have a hard time finding my way around to get answers on this site.

I want the best price I can get for the items-I'm clearing an estate. 

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

First off- fairly new to selling. I have items listed on auction but NOT buy it now

Many new sellers are faced with this situation.

Experienced sellers will usually tell you not to do it.

The offers come from bottom feeders who believe your doohickeys are underpriced and want to buy them (often for resale) at a low price  before the auction ends at a substantially higher price.

It is best to respond politely perhaps something like."Thank you for your offer. I would prefer to let the auction run its course , which is only another 5/3/2 days. Please consider bidding. I'll take a chance that you win at a price lower than you are offering."

But most auctions get bids in the last few hours or even moments of the sale.

You may have watchers who plan to bid on the last day, or even snipers who have bids with an electronic 'sniping' service which will activate those bids in the last seconds of the sale.

A penalty for ending the auction? Not really. Except that you may well be cheating yourself out of getting the best price.

Oh,yeah. If you sell to a bottom feeder you can also expect to be bullied about shipping costs, get a demand for a partial refund, and get held hostage over feedback.

The best customers are happy to pay a fair price and are much nicer to deal with.

Best wishes for a successful sale.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply