Frustration for the day...

Yes, this is a bit of blowing off of steam, with a question at the end.  See if you would feel just a little bit frustrated with this, as I have: 

I recently sold one of my more attractive items, a ladies' linen suit, payment was made immediately, no questions asked, no communication from the buyer, either before or after the sale.  I quickly parcelled up the item, sent it by Expedited Parcel with a nice thank-you email to the buyer - a perfect transaction, right?

A couple of days ago I noticed the buyer's FB -- a "negative" positive comment: "Nice product but description not so great".  I also noticed my DSR% for "Item as Described" had dropped a little - uh oh.  I left positive FB for the buyer, hoping this might prompt him to advise me what the problem had been.  No reaction.  Since there was nothing to lose at this point, I sent a very polite email, asking if he could tell me why the description fell short, as it would help me to know if I'd missed something. 

Here's the gist of the reply, which anyone selling clothing will relate to: The description didn't have a women's size designation, and so it doesn't fit his wife -- although he says she wants to keep it because it's beautiful and she plans to lose weight.  

Now, I make custom clothing, and use my own size parameters.  As any woman knows, ladies' sizing can vary dramatically from one garment maker to another, and from one country to another.  Stating an arbitrary "size number" in my listings would be  misleading and confusing.  

There were several paragraphs of detailed actual size measurements in the listing (in inches and centimeters). Apparently this buyer (located in the US) either didn't understand or bother to look at the "Size Details" section, and didn't ask me for help.  If you have a moment, take a look at the sold item linked to this FB (item # 171098734235) and see if you think the sizing description is deficient.

I can see from the DSR stats I just ran that he left either a 3 or 4, which is really no big deal.  But I have a lower volume turnover, and I can't afford to absorb too many of these without consequences (losing the TRS for one thing).

So, my question: Does anyone know whether eBay remove FB and the DSR entries based on the fact that they resulted from the buyer's own error, and that the FB was a "negative" positive?  Anyone have any experience with this?

I expect the answer will be no, but I may try contacting eBay anyway.  The DSRs mean more to me, but my FB is important as a smaller volume seller of some rather expensive items because it shows prospective buyers what sort of service they can expect -- it doesn't reflect well seeing a complaint in a 'positive' FB line (I realize it could have been worse -- it could have been a neg).  

BTW, I noticed this buyer does not have a long buying history, and has left the same sort of "negative" positive FB for a couple of other sellers, complaining about long delivery times (oh dear, that again).  

As the old saying goes: d____d if you do, d_____d if you don't.  

Somehow I feel better already, thank you...Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I honestly think your description is very detailed and the buyer just didn't take time to read it. He just saw "Large" and assumed it would fit his wife. He was really unfair in his rating.

Since he did the same recently to other sellers, I think it's worth a try to report him. EBay may see a pattern and erase his feedbacks left. If not though, you can always respond to his feedback. I'm aware this could bring more attention to the feedback he left, so it's really up to you if you want it to be more visible or not.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

If I can make a suggestion though, it would be to put the sizes at the top of your listing. It would be better if that is the first thing a buyer sees in your description IMHO. 😉

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Thanks very much for your response.  You're right that by adding a comment to the "negative" positive FB, I'll just be drawing more attention to it.  I'm going to see if eBay will remove it completely, but I'm hoping I can convince them to do that without formally "reporting" the buyer.  

I've considered putting the size information at the top of the listing, but for these sorts of higher-priced items I think it would detract from the impact of the description.  I do always include, right up front, usually in the first paragraph, a reference to see the size details below.  Normally I insert a huge, bold-face, brightly coloured heading saying "Size Details", etc. just before the size information.  

The truth is, I think this man made an assumption a woman would never make -- that a size number (such as Ladies Size 14, etc) would have been an accurate detail to include.  We women know there is no such thing as a fixed, standard size number.  Even if I could guess at the size based on a typical ladies' size number in Canada, say, at the Bay, I don't know what that number would be in the U.S. (or U.K./Europe for that matter).  As we women know all too well, one manufacturer's size 14 is not the same as another's idea of size 14 -- which is why top designers "reduce" their size numbers to appeal to our vanity.  

At any rate, for a man, size 44 is always, everywhere, a 44 inch chest, give or take a fraction of an inch, and neck size 15 is always 15 inches.  I think this buyer either just didn't want to bother looking at the precise measurements, or had no idea how to guage them against his wife's size, so was put off that he couldn't match a size number up with something in her closet.  If only he had contacted me before buying, I could have helped him out... oh well.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

The title clearly states:  Wearable LargeSz

When checking the measurements, I can only say that you must be one of the very lucky slim ladies if you think that a 31"-34" waist is "Large".  

Your description is pages and pages long.  Most of us have a hard time getting purchasers to read two lines, and you have pages and pages of comments.  Measurements are at the end and even there its sprinkled with comments.  I am a fast reader and I love to read but you couldn't keep my attention past one third of the way. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

In fact the buyer told me he did read through the description, but was expecting to see a ladies' size number (as in a department store).  He failed to understand that a size number would be misleading for the reasons I stated above.  Incidentally, the waist size was 33-34", and bust 39", which is roughly one step down from a modern Plus Size 1x, so the "large" designation was a fairly accurate guide when read together with the actual measurements.

Detailed measurements (in both inches and cms) and clear explanations are a necessity when selling garments at a distance to various countries.  It is the only way to be certain the customer will be happy with the garment and that it will fit.  If I am asking someone to purchase a $200 or $300 article of unusual clothing sight unseen, I prefer to give them the choice of more information rather than less.  

Many times I see garment sellers with negative feedback about size, quality, colour, length, etc. etc. that could have been avoided: invariably they have sloppy or incomplete descriptions.  It would also be more difficult for a buyer to succeed in an INAD case if all the information is there.  

Frankly, the real problem here was that it was a man purchasing for his wife, who had no grasp of how to properly judge his wife's sizing.  Women on the other hand know how to use a tape measure.    

Selling vintage and antique garments is an art in itself.  I know and understand my buyers -- they love antique/vintage replica clothing, and want lots of photos and detail.  They are not buying them to collect (where size is irrelevant), but to wear.  And these buyers really do read the listings carefully and enjoy the historical and construction information. I can say that because I get very specific questions asked and some very appreciative follow-up emails.  I'm sure this isn't true of many buyers, who like to "grab and run", but it is for the categories in which I sell.  

In any event I state at the top of each garment listing that the buyer should carefully check the measurements given. They can skip the commentary and go straight to the sizing if they wish.  The fact that I've sold many, many vintage and antique replicas and have never had a return for a size issue (in fact never any return at all) I think speaks for itself.  

The experience with this buyer was a bit of a bizarre incident that will likely never occur again, and I've decided to view it in that light.  As I said, if he had asked me in advance, I would have been more than happy to assist him.  It had nothing whatever to do with the accuracy or detail of the description per se

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Sound like you did everything right Rose.

Selling clothing is definitely a different breed of cat & can be frustrating at times.

Measurements are paramount especially with Vintage Items.

I will always put the Labelled Size in the Description, but always mention in the description" Different Era, Please Check Measurements."

I have been noticing in my Bulk Buys that many items are mislabelled. Mediums that definitely measure as larges & extra larges.

Probably why i got them for a great price.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I think your listing is great and you did everything perfect... I also think your description is beautiful but crazy long ... I read about 1 paragraph and was over it ... But then again I know nothing about selling clothes on ebay so maybe that is just me but Long or not VERY NICE

Message 8 of 8
latest reply