Help with loss prevention email and then same item as not described

hb002013
Community Member

I got an email from ebay saying that I should create a dispute and escalate it to a claim asap as an item I had purchased had been removed and they were worried about fraud issues. I did that and the item arrived a week later BUT it was not as described. I had emailed the seller previous to buying and they told me it was WHITE but the item I received is IVORY. Anyway I did not want to cancel the Paypal claim as it said that once cancelled I could not reopen it and I wanted to wait till the seller got back to me. So last night I updated the claim with info that I received it and it is not as described and this morning I get an email saying return it to sender in 10 days and I will get a paypal refund. Now I know that in this case I am responsible for return shipping but the issue is that return shipping will cost me as much or more than I paid for the item. I have tried to contact the seller but have had no response in the last 2 days, I emailed their email address (from the paypal info sent to me) today. What if I cant get hold of them?

I guess I am probably out of luck but I dont think it is right that I was led to believe that the item was white and now have to return it to get a refund from paypal that will cost me about the same amount, so I am just out money cause the seller lied. I would never have bought it had they told me the truth from the start.

advice, help, thank you

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Re:Help with loss prevention email and then same item as not described

oskye
Community Member

Unfortunately, eBay and Paypal are no help in this type of situation.  I have experienced it too.  The only thing is to try negotiating with the seller.  Unfortunately, your seller is already unresponsive.

There should be some sort of exception in your case because you were notified of a possible fraud situation (and I would think misrepresenting an item as to colour constitutes fraud).  So, it seems unfair you will be out money no matter what happens.  However, that seems to be how things work here. You were lied to and end up out of pocket.  The seller either gets the item back to resell or gets to keep your money if you don't return it.  Either way - they win, you lose.  Seems fair, right? 😉

All you can really do is leave appropriately negative feedback and DSR ratings. That is about the only way to impact a bad seller.  And be somewhat thankful the money lost is not too much.

Unfortunately, I cannot offer any way to avoid this, other than to check seller feedback (esp the neg and neutral) and make a considered choice as to where you will buy.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply