Import Charges

ctltccc
Community Member

I purchased a print from a US seller. The item was $2150. us dollars.  When the print arrived the post office dropped it off and said good bye. The seller contacted me a few days later and said his shipping people paid the import charge of $800. US dollars. The seller said they put the appraised value on the form. 

So the question is shouldn't I pay the charge on the price I paid. not the price he put on the import form.

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Import Charges

What were the terms of the original listing?

Message 21 of 35
latest reply

Import Charges

I did. When I received the print. It was days later that I was contacted by the seller. 

I do not want to deny money that is owed, but do not want to have to pay more then required

Message 22 of 35
latest reply

Import Charges

Listing number please.

Message 23 of 35
latest reply

Import Charges

"I do not want to deny money that is owed, "

NOTHING is owed unless you agreed to pay extra charges at time of purchase.

Message 24 of 35
latest reply

Import Charges

Message 25 of 35
latest reply

Import Charges

There is nothing in the description (or anywhere else in the listing) indicating that GSt/HST would be prepaid and charged to you after the fact.

Reality is simple: the seller made a mistake in putting the wrong value for Customs clearance purposes and never showed that information in the listing.

If you feel obligated to pay those "import charges", I suggest you ask the seller to have his Custom broker correct the valuation so that the taxes payable reflect the actual value of the item.

It is not your responsibility to correct his mistake.

If he wants to file a claim of some sort on eBay... let him.

Message 26 of 35
latest reply

Import Charges

"251748121757"

Only info on shipping is "Contact Seller"... did you have correspondence on that?

What was final total on the invoice you paid to get the item?

Message 27 of 35
latest reply

Import Charges

eBay item number: 251748121757

The reserve was not met.

The high bid was US$ 1,501.00

The reserve was US$ 3,200.00

You did not even bid on that item

Message 28 of 35
latest reply

Import Charges

The eBay transaction was actually  251772662465

Fixed price US$ 2,150

No indication of shipping charge or import charge

Message 29 of 35
latest reply

Import Charges

"No indication of shipping charge or import charge"

As per the incorrectly posted item.

We'll have to wait and see if there was some communication between buyer and seller on the shipping.

Would also be helpful to know content of invoice buyer paid.

Message 30 of 35
latest reply

Import Charges

Due to  incompetence the seller appears to have shot himself so severely in the foot that  only a bloody stump is left. This is really not your problem.

The very most you could be expected to do, since apparently you have not paid any import charges for this item, would be to send him the correct import tax for your province, based on the sale price of the item. This is a sum that you mention you were expecting to pay.

This would a strictly ex-gratia payment on your part and should be made with this clearly stated. It would not be an admission of any legal liabilty, merely a moral one. Many would think even this was stretching a point.

Message 31 of 35
latest reply

Import Charges

I agree with everything you've said.  Hopefully the seller learns something from this but he probably won't.

To the OP:

If the seller used the appraised value, the only benefit of doing that is to insure it, and that only benefits the seller, not you.  GST/HST is paid on the purchase price, not the appraised price.  The seller needs to have his shipper revise the clearance documents and submit them for re-appraisal if he wants to recoup some of the cost.  He also needs to pay for that.  If you did not agree to a pre-clearance by the seller, you should not pay for the brokerage fee part of the import charges.

"I had purchased another print from Minnesota and the cost on the CBSA postal import form is $1276.11 I was charged $175.84 when it arrived at my door."

$175.84 represents exactly 13% tax on Cdn$1276.11 + $9.95 fee from Canada Post.  If you really feel that you have to pay something to the seller, your payment should be 13% of your purchase price converted to Canadian currency at the rate in effect on the day it was cleared.  No fee was charged by Canada Post in this case.

The seller should provide copies of the papers his shippers used to clear the print.  I would never pay anything without an invoice or some other acceptable proof.

I don't know on what basis the seller could expect to have an eBay dispute case decided in his favour.  You can offer what you actually owe in taxes before or after that case runs it course, if you feel you really need to do this.  IMHO, you don't owe anything. The seller should have acquainted himself with the appropriate paperwork BEFORE completing the sale.  It appears he actually had a chance to look into this, since you apparently had some correspondence with him prior to the purchase.  He could have discussed the options with you, and together you could have chosen how this would be handled. 

Message 32 of 35
latest reply

Import Charges

Sorry about another thematics,

but I have question to kpixcomputers.

Did you sell this item

'LG R200H Laptop motherboard ( EBR41677528)' before?

If yes - then next question:

Do you still have it?

with best regards,

Vladyslav.

Message 33 of 35
latest reply

Import Charges

That seller will NOT see your question on this board.

You should contact the seller directly.

Message 34 of 35
latest reply

Import Charges

That seller was an early poster on this thread and that was many months ago so they will probably not be monitoring this thread anymore. Contact that seller directly.

Message 35 of 35
latest reply