Import or duty charges on pre-owned clothing

I want to buy a pre-owned Burberry shirt et and Imake sure that there will be no bad surprise with duty or import charges.

The seller does not mention the shipping company or service. With USPS or Canada Post, it is possible to find out how import charges will cost. 

Could you tell me if import charges apply with pre-owned clothes?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Duty may not but sales tax will if import fees are assigned.

It's best to ask the specific seller what shipping method they intend to use.

And expect to pay import taxes on any item imported by post over the $20 de minimus. It's the law. 

Or buy Canadian.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

@francoisallure wrote:
I want to buy a pre-owned Burberry shirt et and make sure that there will be no bad surprise with duty or import charges.

For used there is sales tax.  No duty if made in USA/Mexico.

If via post office and value is over $20 -- if assessed (often it is not for small packages) it would be $9.95 fee + taxes.

Via courier for anything valued at over $20, it'll be courier fee (check the courier website, $10-$25 range) + taxes.

-..-

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

You want the seller to be using USPS if you are a gambler at heart.

CBSA and Canada Post usually (but not always) do not bother to assess items valued under about $100 Cdn.

If they do, and the price of the shirt is over $20 Cdn( ~$16USD) you will be charged sales tax and a $9.95 Canada Post service fee.

If you like to know where you stand before you pay, look for these words on the listing.

Customs services and international tracking provided

These do not appear if you are Searching with Gallery View or on a mobile device.

Those indicate the GSP.

You will be paying import fees from which GSP will pay sales tax and keep a ~$5 service fee.

The amount shows when you go to purchase but BEFORE you actually pay, so take your time, don't use the OneClick payment and read what it says before you authorize payment.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply