Is eBay changing YOUR business policies?

In short our store has an issue what was uncovered and has remains unresolved since Tuesday march 21 2017

The issue: eBay on its own is creating payment and shipping policies and then reassigning those newly created policies replace the ones that we have created and had on some listings for months in some cases.

The PayPal policy that has appeared out of thin air goes to an address and PayPal account that do not exist.

The shipping policies have converted all our affected listings from metric back to imperial measurements and dropped all the unique attributes needed for each policy specific to the product it should be applied to.

The further issue is that once repaired - within a few hours these listings will revert back/be changed to another improper policy and discard all the repairs applied.

With an ebay supervisor monitoring a repair to a couple listings and verifying they are fixed properly  - those listings were being tracked… within a couple hours reverted back to improper policies. After contacting ebay when noticing the issue reappear they provided confirmation of the issue and notified technical department. 

The latest suggestion was just focusing on payment policy for the time being to put all listings back to our default policy and delete the other one so there would be only 1 policy for payment. 

This was completed, 100% of our listings were assigned to the proper payment policy - the one that appeared on its own was deleted… only 1 payment policy existed. 

Hours later - another payment policy with the same details and a revised name has appeared and assigned itself to some of our listings in place of our default policy that was on it hours prior. 

This issues has been confirmed again by ebay and the technical department is being notified for further investigation. 

The current work around suggested is to just keep fixing them but this does not address that A) we did not make or apply the policies that are currently preventing our listings from being functional or B) for almost an entire week every listing repaired has had problems reappearing within hours.

Are there any other sellers experiencing this issue?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

No, I list only on ebay.ca and was never given the opportunity to create Business Policies. What you're experiencing sounds like a nightmare, you have my sympathies.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

It almost sounds like to me your account got hacked? I could be wrong but maybe try changing your account password to see if it helps? If it doesn't, at least it rules out the possibility of hacking.
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I have used Business Policies on eBay.CA for quite some time now and I have never encountered this problem.
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Issue is still outstanding and still waiting for any sort of assistance from eBay technical development department, 

even today, 

reassign all listings with the incorrect payment policy created eBay and reassigned with the policy that we have created to go to our PayPal account,

listings within seconds/ minutes of repair were reverting, it was a race to get the problematic listings under the payment policy cleared

I was able to get to 0 listings on the made up policy by eBay - PayPal#3 - once at 0 the policy was deleted.  

Within 1hr PayPal#4 has magically appeared and assigned 70 of my listings to it already. This payment policy goes to limbo.

Any of the listings that had their shipping policies repaired in the process of fixing payment have also found their way into a shipping policy not created or assigned by me as well. Aside from the policy problems - eBay is converting all our listings from metric to imperial - even fixing this in the listings is short lived.

there have been countless steps to prove the account has not been compromised/fraud - this has been ruled out as a potential cause.  

This is a further reach out to the seller community incase anyone else is experiencing this issue or has any potential advise

For the time it took me to write this post another 26 of our listings have been impacted. 

thanks in advance

John

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Our issues with eBay creating business policies for our listings and replacing the ones we made with the ones eBay created remains ongoing.

eBay is creating a payment policy to replace our default policy - the payment policy eBay creates goes to a PayPal account that is non existent creating payment problems for our customers, 

eBay is creating shipping policies to replace the specific policies we created for various products we sell with policies that are not functional preventing buyers form obtaining a shipping quote or properly populating the cost when purchases are made.

the shipping policies that ebay is making also do not have any geographical restrictions so we are seeing purchases of products that we cannot economically ship to buyer locations. its why our policies had geographic parameters.

eBay has and continues to convert all our metric measurements and weights to imperial.

all repairs made to any of the above mentioned issues are short lived and will revert within minutes to hours.

policies that materialized out of thin air can be zero'd out with listings assigned to them and deleted and eBay will create a new one to takes it place and begin converting our listings to it within 10-20 minutes.

new listing created as current as today built from scratch with proper policies before listing will be corrupted within 1hr of going live.

further investigation into other products during repairs has also uncovered that eBay is removing variances from within listings i.e. have a helmet with small, medium, large variances but only recognizing 2 ... the 3rd has been removed entirely from the listing and the issig variance had sales earlier in the year. 

problem ongoing for 3 weeks now and other than eBay confirming there is a problem with their site, there has been no support or solution to resolve this ongoing problem 

any others out there experiencing this?

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Not me. But what you describe is ruinous. Have you tried making contact with anyone from eBay Canada to see if they can help? We really need our Weekly Chats back.
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

ruinous is a good way to describe the current state of things here, 

yes I have called in countless times speaking to 50+ agents and 4 supervisors and currently waiting on a manager to call 

numerous promises to be called back with updates or follow up have not been followed through on

I cannot get any update regarding what the technical team is doing to resolve this or if they have even looked at it. 

supervisor yesterday flat out said if we are the only store experiencing this problem, it could be quite some time before the technical team even considers looking at what is going on, or if they would look at the problem at all. The best he do is email the technical team again that the problem is outstanding.

other than phoning the 800 number to agents that can't do anything there is no apparent direct forms of contact either phone or email to speak with anyone that can work on resolving the problem. 

searching everywhere I can for any sort of assistance or others that might be effected 

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Have you tried the ebay.com Facebook page? I don't use it but I get the impression that it's monitored. Or eBay.com still has its weekly session (Thursdays?) although we do not. I'd try there too. Also, direct contact with eBay Canada staff. A year ago, this would have been through Raphael but he's gone and has not been replaced so far as we know since we have no Weekly Chats and no Announcement has been forthcoming. Try Rodney@ebay.com. He's the most recent member to come to eBay Community to speak to the Spring Seller update. There were a few other posts recently from another name, one I don't recognize, but I don't know who they are or what role they fulfill. 

The situation that you're describing would drive me around the bend. Can you suspend ALL business policies until this is fixed?

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Oh and at the risk of being pegged as a rabble rouser, try Ina at http://www.ecommercebytes.com if there is a widespread problem, this will shed light on it. 

Letter to the Editor. 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

thanks mjwl, 

today attempts will be reaching out to their Facebook and twitter accounts, 

I will try the other link you provided as well. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Hi @tosports2bk1, some time has passed since you had this problem, can you share some info how it all ended up? I just had a similar issue and I believe I discovered a serious hole in eBay security. But first I'd like to know whether there was some 3rd party involved or it was just a bug in eBay system?

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2017

The problem with zombie threads is that the problem and/or the advice may be out of date and incorrect.

Or explain your problem in the Weekly Chat which is now open on the Community Board.

If you have a similar problem it would be best to start your own thread for current information.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 14 of 14
latest reply