Item lost in mail, what's next?

habsoholic
Community Member

Hello,

I bought in mid-April a video game sent from Rochester NY. Seller sent me the tracking number and after a few days, I see that the shipment is stuck in transit in Mississauga ON and no update ever since (I live in Quebec), the item is marked as Xpresspost on Canada Post website, I guess it's the equivalent to Express Mail from USPS.

I opened a ticket with Canada Post and they sent me a week later a letter telling me that it is the seller that needs to open a ticket with USPS to receive the refund from the lost shipment. I inform the seller about the story and ask if he can open the ticket with USPS.

I received an email from him today telling me that he contacted USPS but the person he talk to told him that the process can be very long, not guaranteed to received the refund as the item was shipped outside of the USA and the tracking has stop from their sides when the package crossed the border. In other words, he couldn't/didn't open a ticket.

What are my next steps? Should I just let know the seller that I will open a ticket in the Paypal resolution center so that I can get my money back? The seller has been cooperative with me and I wouldn't want his Paypal reputation to be black-eyed by this event since the lost shipment is out of his controls. But I think at the point I am now it is my only recourse.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

What are my next steps? Should I just let know the seller that I will open a ticket in the Paypal resolution center so that I can get my money back? The seller has been cooperative with me and I wouldn't want his Paypal reputation to be black-eyed by this event since the lost shipment is out of his controls. But I think at the point I am now it is my only recourse.

Thank you!

That is what I woud do ..   It is your money.

You only have 45 days from end of auction to open the claim

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Filing a case or dispute no longer affects sellers status .. do not wait longer then 45 days no matter what they tell you File a case before 45 days if you have not received

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

As others have said, open the dispute. He will probably refund you right away, and close the dispute. This won't count against him at all, he did what you asked and ended the dispute amicably.

It is then up to him to deal with the postal services to get his money back from them. You don't have to worry about that part.

Chris

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

It happened to me few weeks ago. Canada Post were their usual unhelpful selves but the seller was absolutely great and she gave hell to USPS, manage to locate the package in Lost Mail facility in Alabama and get it to me. Work with your seller, if it was a Priority shipment it most likely will be located. And do not wait that long next time, best of luck.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

The seller should have refunded you within a few days of your report of the problem. Since he is not doing it voluntarily, open the PP dispute.

If the item arrives while the dispute is still open, close it, leave appropriate feedback and move on.

If the item does not arrive while the dispute is open, the seller can refund you and have no black marks on his record. Leave appropriate feedback.

If the seller does not refund you voluntarily, PP will, and then go after the seller for the money. He will have a black mark for this. PP is a jealous god.

If the item arrives after the money has been refunded, you can refund the refund using PP's Send Money. It would not be ethical to keep both the item and the money.

he contacted USPS but the person he talk to told him that the process can be very long, not guaranteed to received the refund as the item was shipped outside of the USA and the tracking has stop from their sides

The person your seller spoke to is wrong. That is not unusual.

First, he bought insurance to cover his losses, not yours. So the time it takes to collect on the insurance is not your problem.

Second, tracking /confirmation of delivery is sold separately from insurance by the USPS.

Your item is trackable by USPS, which cooperates with Canada Post and every other postal system in the world through the Universal Postal Union. However, your seller may not have purchased the appropriate insurance service.  This is not your problem.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

calecha_52
Community Member
Man,
Once the item makes its way across the border, it is ebay canada's responsibility to start tracking the item from the border until it reaches your household.
ebay canada and the ebay of the US should work hand in hand.
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2013

Much of the information in this thread is out of date and incorrect.

Hmmmmm --- make that most of the information.

EBay's Claim deadlines have changed.

Paypal allows six months for Claims.

Canada Post's insurance system has changed.

@happy_pigeon

Message 8 of 8
latest reply