LESSON FOR ALL regarding accepting 2 payments for 1 shipment.

discountlabelsupplies
Community Member
I had a U.S. buyer with a confirmed address buy a labeler package from me. They also bought extra labels from my Ebay store.

They must have used the quickpay link from either the email they received from Ebay or from my E.O.A. notice that is automated through Paypal.

Either way I received 2 payments. I packed up the order and shipped it Xpresspost. 4 business days later the item arrives at its destination.

Buyer emails me 2 weeks later to say they did not receive goods and wants me to track the order through Canada Post. I explain that there is nothing Canada Post can do as USPS has stated the item was delivered. I forwarded her the link to both USPS and CAnada Post so she could see that it states deliver to the address she supplied.

She commenced 2 Paypal chargebacks , one for each payment. I received the form from Paypal to enter the tracking#. I entered the same tracking# for both as it was shipped together.

You can guess the rest.

Paypal took the $40.00 payment out of my account and gave it back to the customer. They left the $24.00 payment in my account. She "lost" on that one.

_____________________________ I learned 2 things from this experience. On orders that are trackable NEVER accept 2 payments. If you get 2 payments , refund them both and ask for a single payment. 1 payment per tracking#.

Secondly if you DO make the same mistake as me, DON'T dispute both chargebacks. Had I only disputed and supplied the tracking # for the $40.00 item I would have been out less money. Because I supplied the same tracking# for both, it was up to paypal to decide what shipment they would not allow.
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

jennifers-private-stash
Community Member

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I am sorry this happened to you. I am truly grateful for your advice.

Jennifer
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thanks for the heads up.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Bummer!
There's always the chance that reporting her for mail fraud will have some effect.

Here's an 'About Me' page which has some very excellent links:

http://members.ebay.com/ws2/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=mioka

Ann
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
80% of the payments I received last week were two payments for one item.

The reason? they were all from Canadian buyers who paid me without including GST and in some cases PST so I invoiced them for the tax portion separately.

I was not about to cancel their entire payment and reinvoice them a new total.

I think what PayPal has done in this situation is absolutely irresponsible.

I would suggest taking this up with a PayPal rep directly.

Malcolm

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

mirakbiz_inc
Community Member
I would suggest that if you request a second payment for the difference, mark that one as quasi-cash or a service.

Less likely that they will be able to charge back for not receiving it

I also clearly mark on the subject that it's to cover taxes / shipping of order # XXX

my two cents
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
mirakbiz_inc
Thats exactly what I do with NO reference to eBay or the listing number. I then head the PayPal invoice as PST and/or GST.

In the description I break out the calculations for the customer however no other reference to the eBay auction.

Malcolm
Message 7 of 7
latest reply