Provincial Sales Tax

stopngrow
Community Member
I would like to know if in B.C. you need to pay provincial sales tax for sales to u.s. buyers.
I know that Gst is not applicable but does anyone know about PST ?
Thanks
Dan
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Provincial Sales Tax

treasure-pot
Community Member
Provincial taxes are a consumers tax and, as such, do not apply to US residents.

If a US resident came to BC and bought a meal they would be expected to pay PST because they would be consuming it in BC.

Cheers!

Bill

Bill

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Provincial Sales Tax

www-labels4less-com
Community Member
Bill is correct. As long as you have proof the goods left the province by bonded carrier (pretty much any major trucking company,courier,post etc) you do not collect PST.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Provincial Sales Tax

atelier_kd
Community Member
Bill...

But when the US visitor returns home he is eleigible for a refund form our gov't for the taxes he paid while in Canada. All he has to do is submit his reciepts. I don't know how this applies to anything, but I just wanted to put my 2 cents in!
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Provincial Sales Tax

treasure-pot
Community Member
I don't believe that taxes can be returned if it is consumed in Canada. I believe that if you check the visitor can certainly apply for a refund of both GST and PST for goods that He/she are taking home with them provided they have receipts. A meal or a hotel room stay would not qualify. Other examples would include fuel taxes or car rental taxes.

Our sales tax system is based on consumption and the tax rate changes depending upon the province or territory in which the item is consumed.

Cheers!

Bill

Bill

Bill

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Provincial Sales Tax

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
Bill
I am fairly certain that GST is also refundable on accomodations for visitors.
As you pointed out, each province has their own refund plan established to help tourism so provincial refunds vary from Province to Province.
Malcolm
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Provincial Sales Tax

deltone
Community Member
Not that it necessarily has anything to do with anything but I thought I'd point out something I found out last year. I went to Maine last year, and purchased a large piece of exercise equipment (which I've barely used but that's a whole other story), and rather than crossing into Ontario, I crossed into Quebec. I did not have to pay the PST on the item, but only the GST. I asked why (wasn't complaining of course) and the gal told me because I don't live in Quebec. Seeing that the equipment was rather expensive, (OY), I did save some money on it. 🐵
Message 7 of 7
latest reply