REGISTERED BUSINESSES (business number, taxes, import/export)???? ARE YOU LEGAL WITH THE CANADIAN GOV'T?

skylapcom
Community Member
Hello,

I have recently finished registering with the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency (CCRA) for a legal Business Number (BN) including a GST/HST number, an import/export number, and a payroll number. I've been speaking with governing officials and they say if your selling or your business is more than a hobby (if you're a powerseller it is obvious that it is more of than a hobby), you should be registering your company/activities and paying the taxes for them.

This to me is dissapointing since ebay takes enough fees and I have enough things to pay for but I found out they can take my car, my computer, my belongings for back taxes if they found out I was still not registered but still selling. I've been selling for years and they were shocked that I was not registered. They mentioned the trouble I could be in.

Anyways...
I was just wondering about the accounting/tax side of things and how you Canadian sellers manage your accounting and your income tax with the gov't. Since we ship out our items, we are required to have an import/export number. I've been trying to figure it all out and figure I should do one step at a time.

Right now I'm working on the taxation side of things, not the GST/HST yet but the gov't taxes we must pay. How do you keep track of your recieved payments and your expense payments? Does anyone have a system they can show me or maybe even a spreadsheet someone can give me for excel? I've been having a hard time and need an experienced seller to help me out.

If you're still not registered with the gov't, I'm hoping they do not find you and take all your stuff. They found me by the transactions on my credit card and in my bank account. They can find you too :(.

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!
Mark
Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

REGISTERED BUSINESSES (business number, taxes, import/export)???? ARE YOU LEGAL WITH THE CANADIAN GOV'T?

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
Revenue Neutral suggests no extra cost, no extra revenue. If that were the case we should be allowed to produce a GST exemption certificate at the time we are purchasing merchandiese to sell to the US. Similar to purchasing for resale using our PST exemption certificate.

The fact remains that we are paying out GST and not receiving a refund or allowed a reduction of GST due until we file our GST returns. Depending on volume of purchase and volume of sales into the US, you are laying out 7% of your cost of the item until you file your GST return. For my business, I file on a quarterly basis, for some mothly and others semi-annually.

For some, the time between their purchase of the inventory, sale to a US customer and recovery of GST could easily be 6 months. For businesses carrying sizeable inventories, I would suggest that they calculate the interest cost in paying out recoverable GST.

It would be an allowable business expense. Remember the system was set up by the Federal government so that they would have your money and use it even if it was to be refunded to you later.

Message 21 of 33
latest reply

"Remember the system was set up by the Federal government so that they would have your money "

Time out!

Most GST paid in Canada is by Canadians for goods and services used in Canada.

Retailers and manufacturers receive the 7% GST from their customers, put the money in the bank or use it for their business and eventually remit it to the Federal government.

The exception is sales outside the country (zero rated).

Looking at the big picture, in general terms, Canadian businesses cash flow benefits by holding government funds (GST) until they remit.

Message 22 of 33
latest reply

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
Pierre,
I guess that I was addressing more of the Power Sellers on eBay than the Sears Canada or Canadian Tire retailers who sell strictly to Canadians within Canada.

Most of us sell at upwards of 50% of our products to the US (some as high at 90%). I pay GST when I purchase my products and I recover that GST paid for goods I exported after I have filed my GST returns.

So in my case I have to wait several months to recover my 7% from the Feds.

The Federal government could easily provide businesses with an exemption certificate to be used when purchasing goods within Canada for resale outside of Canada or operate a system similar to the collection of provincial sales tax.

I only pay PST when filing my PST return based on PST I have charged and collected. Thank goodness they do not operate the same way as the Federal Government otherwise I would be paying out a total of 15% at the time I purchased my products and having to wait months before I could file a claim for a refund based on my exports both out of the country (for the GST ) and out of the Province (for my PST).

Malcolm
Message 23 of 33
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
Sorry Malcolm, but your suggestion of an exemption for exporters leaves the system wide open for abuse. Goods could be purchased without GST paid and claims could be made that 100% were exported. The "pay-as-you-go" system that we have in place, while not perfect, provides the feds with ongoing revenue.

The whole point of the input credit system we have in place is that it operates similar to a bank account - you put funds into the system and you withdraw the portion of funds applicable to exports back out when you report. The PST system works strictly as a consumer tax. The provinces would switch in a heartbeat if they could because they only draw revenue from retail sources that report to them. So when I ship an item from Ontario to Quebec the feds get their money while the province of Quebec goes without.

Under law, residents of a province are supposed to forward applicable tax to their provincial receiver for purchases made out of province or country but we both know that that rarely happens.

The GST was introduced as a replacement for the old FST which was a manufacturers sales tax. Clawback for that tax for exported goods required a substantial burden of proof that items were exported, a certified statement (under penalties) that the goods were exported and the sacrifice of a goat. :>)

The system, as it stands today, is hugely improved over what we once had where the tax was totally hidden from the consumers view.

Cheers!

Bill

Bill

Message 24 of 33
latest reply

I wish I could write so well!
Message 25 of 33
latest reply

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
Bill
Coming from a manufacturing background within the resource industry I fully agree with the unfairness of the previous system and the problems that it imposed upon manufacturers competing in the export market.

I am speaking not of GST in general, but GST in the context of my putting out 7% up front and only being able to withdraw a it several months later. Unlike a bank, there is no interest paid to me for the governments use of my money over that period of time.

The point I was raising simply is that there is a cost to what has been referred to being revenue neutral and the cost, dependant upon one's volume of exports and inventories, could be enough to use that interest expense as an allowable deduction.

While the present system, in principal is better than the previous system, it has a long way to go before it will ever earn my approval, including the general adminstration of the system and the all the areas that they believe they have a right to charge GST (lawyers fees, real estate commissions etc.).

Malcolm

Message 26 of 33
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
Malcolm, GST (Goods and SERVICES Tax) by its very definition should apply to services including lawyers fees and real estate services. Why wouldn't they? What is inherent about those services that should make them exempt from an all-encompassing tax?

I would be much more in favour of seeing certain other services withdrawn from taxable status before those. Shouldn't basic necessities be more valid as tax-free before those that you have hi-lighted (ie clothing, personal hygiene items, etc)? The services you feel should be tax free are often limited to those that have the means to afford them. A person making minimum wage often can't afford a lawyer or real estate but they should be expected to pay taxes for the clothes on their backs! Gimme a break!

The term "revenue neutral" applies to the government and not the tax payer. No tax is revenue neutral to the tax payer. Income tax is collected in the same manner as GST (paid at source and clawed-back) but I don't hear businesses expressing concern over that. Or is it because business, as a rule, pays no income tax at source?

Sorry, it costs money to run our country on a daily basis and the feds can't wait to be paid on an annual basis, much like you or I. I have no qualms about paying my fair share of tax. I hear the rumblings of discontent over taxes and wonder where we would be without the funds made available to our various levels of government. Where would education and healthcare be then? How would goods be moved from point A to B without the roads or rail? Just how will my garbage be disposed of and how can I ensure that my water and food is safe?

Political maneuvering in recent years has done serious damage to our society by pandering to those that want to pay less but demand more in services (tax cuts don't work). Our children's children are in debt before they are born as a result. We are a small population in a huge (geographically) country and we demand all of the luxuries and services that the neighbours next door have. If we are not prepared to pay for it we need to go back to tribal law and living in caves.

Bill

Bill

Message 27 of 33
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
Malcolm, one point I missed.

I have 25 years of my life invested in the manufacturing sector prior to leaving the 9-5 world. My issue with manufacturing or distribution is a predominant unwillingness to contribute to our society while raping it for all it can. Corporate deadbeats are plentiful in Canada and, while this isn't new, it should be a concern for all Canadians.

Industry's greatest concern in Canada is the return to investors and making anything more than a PR or token contribution to our society is a very distant second. It is legitimate for all in Canada to minimize the taxes you pay but the recent trend of industry to "bully" their way to greater profits is really disturbing. There are plenty of examples of industry warning of closures or moving if they don't get what they want.

It would be really refreshing to see one large business in Canada quit the PR spending and spinning and actually pay their taxes for a change.

Bill

Message 28 of 33
latest reply

acurael
Community Member
There was talk of a GST exemption "certificate" a few years ago, but I haven't heard anything about it since.

It would only obviously apply to exporters and there'd have to be a control system, wherein you can't open a new business and apply for GST exemption immediately.

Much like currently, I believe the first GST return has to be annually and CCRA will generally come look after the first return if you're an exporter (this is likely due to the millions they got conned out of before... but anyhow, back to the exemption thing)

Once your status as an exporter is established and you've had a period of GST "refunds" - there's limited chance of fraud imo - certainly no more than a company with domestic sales (and GST payable) screwing CCRA out of the funds.

We could all contact our MP's and suggest this and I'm sure lots would get done 😉

Or you can just opt to file monthly (efile or telefile), collect your 12 monthly refunds and bug the government about something else... like, oh I dunno... trade injury do the devaluation of the CAN/USD exchange.

Farmers get money for mad cow, TO gets money for SARS, BC gets money for fires - shouldn't exporters (the backbone of the Canadian economy) get some help too? 🙂
Message 29 of 33
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
"Farmers get money for mad cow, TO gets money for SARS, BC gets money for fires - shouldn't exporters (the backbone of the Canadian economy) get some help too?"

If they do and, as you say, they are the backbone of the Canadian economy, who is left to pay the bills?

Bill

Bill

Message 30 of 33
latest reply

acurael
Community Member
Sorry - got a bit political there... Back on topic!

Message 31 of 33
latest reply

ospreylinks
Community Member
Boy, looks like I ignited a fire with my revenue - neutral comment.

In actual fact I have to agree with similar comments that I like the current method of collecting and remitting GST. (and if you feel that govt' has the money you have remited on GST for goods purchased (ie input credits), as mentioned change your reporting to monthly.

I actually find that by remitting quarterly, I benefit from the feds money for three months (ie pay GST on goods at wholesale, then collect GST on retail with a margin intact means I get more GST back then I remitted for my use for a period of time). I know the arguement will be made that I have inventory in stock that I have paid GST against, and I will not enjoy the benefit of 7% on the margin until goods are sold, but at the same time, I don't pay for my goods the minute they arrive either. So yes, I owe GST (to my supplier), but it is a paper transaction on my books for a period of time - not actual cash out of my bank.

Also from time to time the input credit actually works to my advantage. Being seasonal in nature, we find most of our inventory arrives in the spring. So we build up this huge input credit, file our GST return, get a cheque and in most cases have use of this fund for a period of time before having to remit to our suppliers (we have been successful in negotiating none-standard payment terms for many vendors).

Jeff
Message 32 of 33
latest reply

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
I guess it all depends on when inventories are received, paid for, how long before they are sold and where the majority of customers are located (within Canada or outside Canada).

For each of us, we apparently have different situations and the GST can either be a good system or it will be simply a pain in the butt and an extra cost of doing business.

Unfortunately for our business, it is both a pain in the butt and an expense.

Malcolm

Message 33 of 33
latest reply