Stated shipping...your thoughts, please and thank you!

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Question for all:

I only list on eBay.com. I ship worldwide. At this point in time I provide stated shipping for everywhere.

I'm thinking of ONLY showing stated shipping for the U.S. as it is the most easiest for ME. However, I will still continue to ship worldwide with Canadians and Other International destinations having to e-mail me for shipping info.

Before all of the changes with eBay and shipping...I never provided shipping info within my listings and found it to be so much easier to quote to my buyers due to the nature of the items that I carry in my eBay store. Yes, I realize that this requires more time on my part to answer questions, but at the same time it also enables me to build a relationship with my buyers. Canadian shipping is always tricky with the jump going from Other Letter to Parcel in a heartbeat. And, when I show the stated shipping I do believe that it does scare some buyers away. I know I would be!

My question is....since I'm listing on eBay.com am I correct in thinking that I may state that I ship worldwide BUT only provide the actual shipping to the States?

I'll be taking my store off of vacation status on January 15th and am most certainly looking forward to getting busy once again! Since arriving home from Ottawa I've gotten 600 listings done in the past 9 days. Yes...still trying to get ALL of my listings back in again. Making progress! Almost there! Yeah!

Thank you for your input!
Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Susan,

IMHO, not stating a concrete shipping charge can be detrimental to attracting buyers, especially if there is competing product available with stated shipping costs.

It is not just YOUR time that is involved. More importantly, it is your BUYERS time that matters.

By not stating shipping, you would be inconveniencing buyers, who have to take the time to email you. The perception can be that it is expensive and that is why you are not stating a cost up-front.

If your products are unique you might get away with it but if they are ubiquitous, you will lose sales.

Remember the "6-second window" we discussed on the phone?

It's an instant on-line world and buyers want instant information and gratification - especially buyers living in metropolitan areas.

The more (positive) info you give a potential buyer, the more inclined they are to not simply click through to to competing sellers.

Cheers
Bernie
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

If it's humanly possible quote shipping charges to ALL destinations.

Bernie's comments are right on, over the years many people (mostly buyers) have commented that unless they are desperate for a particular item they simply will not consider purchasing an item if the shipping is not indicated.

Reasons given...

- Can't be bothered
- tired of not getting a timely reply (or any reply)
- experience that sellers who don't specify usually charge high shipping (ie: will require Priority Mail for cheap items)
- sellers who don't quote International shipping either aren't really interested in International buyers ir are inexperienced

You could leave out Canadian shipping amounts if they are difficult to determine but for most of what you sell determining an International shipping rate is just too easy not to do it.

I think you can be certain that for every potential buyer who ask for a shipping quote there will be many more who will simply move on to a different seller.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Reasons given...

Precisely my thoughts. I, for one, unless I'm desperate for a unique item, will simply move on to the next listing.

If a seller can't be bothered to state, up-front, what it costs to ship me his/her item, I can't be bothered doing business with him/her.

Figuring out US and international shipping is very simple.

CA shipping is bit more quirky. We just average it and, at the end of the month, it's usually a wash anyhow.

In the next few days we will be going to flat-rate shipping, regardless of the # of items purchased. We will have 3 weight/size categories and will program the listings (same as we have now) to full automatization, charging only the shipping cost of the items with the highest shipping cost..

It's nice to wake up to a bunch of hatched chicks is the morning, replete with credits to our PP account 🙂

Cheers
Bernie
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

faerywishes
Community Member
Hiya Susan
I am happy to see you've made so much progress in getting all your listings done. And how is your newest grand baby, I haven't seen anything mentioned about her.

I buy lots in here, probably $1000.00-$1500.00 per month. I have been using Best Match more lately as I am finding it does give me better results. But for the most part if the seller sells to Canada and doesn't show the shipping I go right past it. I get very frustrated that I have to email to ask the shipping and then wait for a response, and frankly in most cases it's a waste of my time. I feel if they can't be bothered to take the time to include it I can't be bothered to stop and look.

I find for the most part listing shipping for Canada very easy and cheaper than shipping to the US & International. For most of my items it is $2.50 US for 1st item and $0.50 US for each additional. However, I do combine and basically only charge what it costs for postage and shipping materials. With the difference in the dollar right now most times I never have to charge more than $2.50 US per package. It really really ticks me off when a seller includes their listing and PayPal fees in with the shipping. And some that include gas, give me a break. On the items that won't fit Letter Mail I bill for the Flat Rate Box and again with the exchange rate I think I list at $8.00, $10.00 & 15.00 which is in line with the US. I have put that info in all caps as the first information on my item description. This saves me from trying to figure out shipping for purchases that are thicker than 2 cm. I don't sell anything that won't go by Letter Mail or the Box.

Right now I do have some items listed at fixed & auction with free shipping for Canada and I will see in the next couple of months if it pays off. I am going to use the next 3 months as a trial and see if everything all balances out. I'm not doing the fixed to my listings I already had but for some of my items that I am now listing. It does cost me more to list these items but I'm hoping to make that back in my discounts. Right now my goal is to get as much traffic as I can to my store.

That said, I better get back to my listings. 😉

Colleen
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

antiquesandarchives
Community Member
Hi, if it isn't listed I move on to one where it is. I figure why waste my time when I have no idea if the seller will get back to me in 2 minutes or 2 days.

I think I may be one of a fair amount of buyers who look for quick and easy...... click and pay shopping not email, wait, click, pay.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Thank you to all who responded to my question.

Bernie....I knew what your answer was going to be before you even wrote it! Trust me....I have taken all of the valuable information to heart and believe me...your mentorship has been most appreciated.

Recped and all....most certainly I do appreciate your input.

I've gotten information from the BT Pro Board about bulk changing my shipping prices...even for those items that have a purchase on them already. Those items require a few extra steps, but still much easier than doing them all individually.

I will continue to show shipping for the US, Canada and Other International destinations.

Truly I was looking for an easier way for me...but as you all have pointed out....I do need to do what is easiest for buyers and put myself second.

You all are truly a great sounding board!

THANKS!
Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I do need to do what is easiest for buyers and put myself second.

Click!

You'll do well with that attitude, Susan.

Bernie
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Moved all my listings from eBay.com to eBay.ca last September/October

Buyers do love my effort to list S & H within Canada, to the US and then elsewhere as worldwide.

My shipping is stated as a maximum, with an indication with it will be lower in relation to where I live, both within Canada and to the US.

With Canada Post rates and everything else it will be a lot easier to sell with shipping indicated.

Listing on eBay.com means you have to dance around how to state the shipping rates...for Canada Post

And if you want to use the shipping calculator it is USPS and UPS on eBay US...

I have found that there is no advantage with my living in Canada and listing on eBay US... as opposed to listing on ebay.ca.

Living in Canada and listing on eBay Canada is easy... and with no apparent disadvantage...
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I agree with you Cumos, I have lots of sales on Ebay.ca without all the hassles.

This month is turning out to be one of my best months so far, if there is a recession maybe someone should let the buyers know. 😉

Maybe not, men and their toys, recession or not!!:^O
Message 10 of 10
latest reply