eBay Needs to Change This Page, as it is Now WRONG, WRONG, WRONG....

art-and-home
Community Member
Quote from http://pages.ebay.com/help/feedback/feedback-scores.html

For each transaction, buyers and sellers can choose to rate each other by leaving Feedback. Feedback from buyers can consist of a positive, negative or neutral rating, and a short comment. Feedback from sellers can consist of a positive rating and a short comment. These ratings are used to determine Feedback Scores. With some exceptions, outlined below, Feedback works like this:

A positive rating increases the Feedback Score by one point

A neutral rating leaves the Feedback Score the same

A negative rating decreases the Feedback Score by one point

This is the "new and updated" version of the page, but the statement "A neutral rating leaves the Feedback Score the same" is completely incorrect, as we all know by looking at our new "scores"
Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

miriam@ebay.com
Community Member
Hi art-and-home,

I just wanted to clarify. Your Feedback Score is the actual number of Feedback (3148 in your case right now). Neutrals are not counted in that number.

Where they are now counted in is in your Feedback Rating or Percentage. This part is defined in the first row of the chart a little further down the page.

Thanks,

Miriam
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Hello Miriam,

It's time to go back to school (if you finished any in the past). "neutral" means (from a dictionary) "not causing or reflecting a change in something", so why it's counted? Don't forget, Miriam, that you are sinking with us, together. Nobody will survive the recent changes. Ebay will not become a "better" Amazon. Start to seek for another job (as we do, too).

A powerseller (still)
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

And you need to learn the difference between "score" and "rating".

Nobody will survive the recent changes

Speak for yourself, there are plenty of us who will survive just fine.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
I agree with you recped! I am surviving here on eBay and will continue to do so as I'm sure many will! My sales are up 56% higher from Jan 1 to May 15th than they were last year with no complaints here!

I would also hope that we as individuals would show a bit more respect and kindness towards Miriam. She is here to help clarify information and shouldn't be the butt of abuse from any of us.

Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

canadabeltbuckles
Community Member
I agree with both recped and momoftwingles2. I am a new powerseller but Miriam was able to assist me with quite a concern I had. She responded quickly, and the info she provided was 'right on the money', so to speak...

She is here to help us, and that she does!!

I applaud her efforts, and she should not have to be the brunt of your frustration...

"If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant: if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome."
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Sometimes I don't explain what I am writing about - counting on the PS' intelligence. Most people will understand, that I am writing about "rating". Obviously, you should go back to the high-school (it's a school you should go right after your secondary, but you can still try, Recped...)
How disgusting place became Ebay ...
J'ai envie de vomir, vraiment ... des crétins, partout, partout ....
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

art-and-home
Community Member
Thanks for the clarification.

I think it might be important to clarify this point on the page itself for all to see (including buyers who - until now - were under the impression that a neutral feedback had no impact at all).

Right now, it leaves the reader (including myself) with the impression that a neutral does not impact the seller's score (and therefore the percentages that are based upon that score), but that is no longer the case.

Buyer's should be aware that leaving a neutral, while it will not have an impact on the "score" does have the same impact on the seller's "rating" as a negative.

The main reason I raise this is that eBay shoppers have grown to EXPECT a high "rating" due to the system being the way it was. I'm not convinced that buyers are being trained as to what a 99.1% rating now means as compared to what a 99.1% rating used to mean.

I used to take great pride in (and work very hard to maintain) my 99.9% feedback rating.

It would seem that from now on, it will be in my best interest to simply make as much money as I can through eBay until the new feedback system tanks everything to the point that it's not worth bothering anymore.

I'm sure there are plenty of sellers who will thrive in this new environment, I just don't think I'll be one of them.
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

miriam@ebay.com
Community Member
I'm afraid I'm a little long in the tooth to be going back to school ...

art-and-home, I agree that the wording on that page could be clearer. I will pass that suggestion to our Content Manager (who sits across from me).

While existing buyers may need time to adjust to the new spread of Feedback ratings, I believe having a wider range will be better in the long run. Having virtually all sellers crammed into the 98%+ range is confusing for buyers (especially new ones).

Since my fortunes do rise and fall with eBay's, I take the recent changes very seriously indeed - there's no such thing as job security in the ecommerce field. Hence the reason I am here reading your comments and providing clarity when I can. I won't try to give you a hard sell on the recent changes to Feedback - the new system will have to prove itself in the weeks ahead.

Cheers,

Miriam
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I would also hope that we as individuals would show a bit more respect and kindness towards Miriam

Should we wonder if Miriam declines to "visit" more often?

When we jab below the belt-line at the few eBay employees that even take the time to respond to our posts, how long do you think they will put up with this kind of abuse before feigning too big a workload to be in a position to respond to our queries?

J'ai envie de vomir, vraiment ... des crétins, partout, partout ....

Est-ce que cela veut dire que ça prend un crétin pour pouvoir reconnaitre un autre?;-)

Xena
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
Thank you for your on-going support Miriam.

Monique

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Xena,

Thank goodness for Babel Fish so I could see the humor in your response!

Susan
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
miriam@ebay.com.....
the new system will have to prove itself in the weeks ahead.

Ok- then what if it doesn't?

How much damage can be 'UNDONE".
I am already leaving ONE ONE ONE ONE ONE DSR for sellers.
We have filed our first NON-PAYING bidder alerts in years!
AND- we have simply refunded buyers money and told then to go elsewhere.
We are fed up with being abused by an eBay/PayPal unholy alliance!

When a BUYER leaves clear eBay feedback that are happy with the item THEY RECEIVED.....AFTER FILING A PAYPAL COMPLAINT FOR NON-RECEIPT.......... AND a copy of a PROOF of MAILING is posted to PayPal- and when PAYPAL reviewed the situation- THEY FOUND IN FAVOUR OF THE BUYER BY ISSUING THEN A FULL REIMBURSEMENT.

So- I can't leave a BUYER who has both the item- and A FULL REFUND- A NEGATIVE FEEDBACK. HOWEVER- I can BLOCK their bids- and tell them to take their business elsewhere. When FEEDBACK doesn't matter maybe it';s time to treat it like the joke it has become. Even when a BUYER's POSITIVE ( as in this case of the BUYER RECEIVING the item)- eBay/Paypal could care less when the BUYER files a claim for NON-RECEIPT!

Like any GENIE- once out of the bottle, it's very hard to get it go back in!
Message 13 of 13
latest reply