how to deal with the provice tax, lower post canada price

hbyzy
Community Member

I want to be a new seller,  sell small things in canada only, I do not know how to deal with the provice tax, and post canada price too expensive, how other sellers have low shipping price

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi, You are not required to charge Tax on anything shipped to another Province or country. And if shipping in the same Province you are also exempt from charging/collecting  tax unless you have an HST # for example in Ontario. 

The Small Supplier clause still stands a current. . This is for Ontario. Not sure what the other provinces are doing.

The Small Supplier Exception Continues
Ontario is leaving the Small Supplier exception in place, so if you are operating a small business that makes $30,000 or less annually, you are not required to register for or collect Ontario HST. However, you may voluntarily register your small business, enabling you to claim Input Tax Credits.

As for Canada Post not much you can do. Get a Venture One card from the Post Office. It will give you some advantages. Free shipping supplies, stickers, etc. 

Regards.. Ted

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Hi, You are not required to charge Tax on anything shipped to another Province or country. And if shipping in the same Province you are also exempt from charging/collecting  tax unless you have an HST # for example in Ontario. 

The Small Supplier clause still stands a current. . This is for Ontario. Not sure what the other provinces are doing.

The Small Supplier Exception Continues
Ontario is leaving the Small Supplier exception in place, so if you are operating a small business that makes $30,000 or less annually, you are not required to register for or collect Ontario HST. However, you may voluntarily register your small business, enabling you to claim Input Tax Credits.

As for Canada Post not much you can do. Get a Venture One card from the Post Office. It will give you some advantages. Free shipping supplies, stickers, etc. 

Regards.. Ted

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Unless you are registered to remit taxes, you MUST NOT collect taxes.

You don’t have to register until you are grossing $30,000 a year in sales, but it is a good idea to keep careful records of what you buy and what you sell, because you do have to report your profits on resale items as part of your annual income tax.  

For shipping costs, think about what you actually need. For example, I rarely use any service but Letter/LightPacket, which is not tracked, Delivery Confirmed or even insured. But my bookbuyers are very honest and the postal system is very reliable. I do include a tiny amount in each S&H to cover occasional losses.

I do use Expedited for high value items, but the money I save by using Light Packet USA instead of Expedited USA would pay for many many  claims of “lost” items.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply