Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

as a buyer in Canada I cant believe the amount your global charges and the proper price is never the

@marnotom! wrote:

What would be useful to see is if packages for GSP items get opened when the country of origin is stated in the item specifics on the listing page.

Now we just need more GSP sellers actually filling in that part of the listing.

Oh, wait, many GSP sellers don't even realize that they're using the GSP . . .

Dont you think we would really like to know why people are receiving items that are surely not packed properly after GSP has open the box.. 

Boxes are going to be opened for various reasons.., if you bought an item and it was rolling around inside a box and got damaged would not want to know why the box has been modified since being shipped from the seller..

Message 1081 of 6,171
latest reply

as a buyer in Canada I cant believe the amount your global charges and the proper price is never the

This global shipping program seems like a money grab, antiques coming into Canada are duty free, so I am not bidding on any listings that are in this scheme

Message 1082 of 6,171
latest reply

Duty and Taxes are 2 different things.

Antiques may be duty free but they are not tax free.

Message 1083 of 6,171
latest reply

dont buy from anyone using this program,eventually they will get the message.

Message 1084 of 6,171
latest reply

Sorry, I'm confused now.

First you seemed to be asking why the Global Shipping Center opened packages, now you seem to be asking why they're not repackaged properly once they've been opened.

We can only speculate as to why it appears that items opened at the Global Shipping Center aren't getting repackaged properly.  I would say that it's due to an employment culture that either fosters the hiring of indifferent staff, or else staff members start out with the best of intentions but their morale or ability to do an adequate job gets beaten down to a pulp.  Most people entering a job don't want to do a bad job at it, but something happens that affects the execution of their job duties.

Message 1085 of 6,171
latest reply

Start at the beginning.

The GSP was NOT set up to benefit foreign buyers.

US sellers were reaching all the US buyers that were likely, and eBay needed to keep those sales expanding , because they don't pay dividends and their shareholders need the stock to rise to make money.

So GSP is set up to encourage even the most xenophobic sellers to open their eyes to the possibility of international sales.

What does it do for the US seller?

Remember that the US economy is the largest in the world and for all their whining about recession, the US consumer is the richest in the world.

With the GSP, the US seller does not have to ship internationally herself. She sends the packed item to a plant in Kentucky for processing. This also means she can use cheap (25c or less) USPS Delivery Confirmation. The GSP people take care of trans-shipping to her customer.

She doesn't have to make out customs forms. For some reason this terrifies US sellers.

She doesn't have to worry about non-delivery claims. Responsibility for delivery moves to the GSP /PitneyBowes.

How does this aid Canadian (and other overseas) buyers?

Well, not much.

In theory, the Canadian buyer is charged the duty and tax that Canada puts on any shipped import over $20.  And the PB/GPS service charge , which seems to be about $5 is half of that of Canada Post ($9.95 and up) and one fifth of most couriers ($25 and up based on value of the imported item for UPS-- don't even ask about the sneakiness of FedEx)

But CP and CBSA allow most small and low value (under $100) items through without charging the duty and sales tax that are applicable.

One poster pointed out that both CBSA and CP employees are well enough paid that it is actually a net saving to the Canadian government that they NOT assess low value packages. If  the employee earns $20 an hour (about $40,000 a year) then taking 5 minutes to assess an item valued at $21.00 costs the Canadian government 60 cents.  Sales tax at most would be $3.15, and there is a good chance that the item, like your antiques, are duty -but not tax- free. 

So the CBSA has, possibly without consulting their political masters, just started ignoring those small and low value imports.

But.

Commercial entities like Pitney Bowes, which runs the Global Shipping Program, and FedEX and UPS , cannot. They MUST assess every single darn package they process. That's the law.

And they charge their customers.

Which is why you are so upset.

But.

There's always a 'but' isn't there?

The sellers who are using GPS tell their international customers that they will be charge duty +tax+ service fee twice.

In SEARCH  this notice appears.

Customs services and international tracking provided

That means GSP applies to this lot.

And.

Before you pay, you are told, on the listing and on the invoice, how much the (prepaid) duty (if any) and sales tax (definitely) will be  +that annoying service fee.

So who is getting paid?

The federal government-- if there is duty. And always 5% GST

The provincial government- with sales tax.  From 0% to 15%.

Pitney Bowes probably has a small profit from their service fee, but they have a plant full of workers (Kentucky is a 'right-to-work' state so you can assume the workers are not unionized and supplement their minimum wage with food stamps) plus the costs of actually moving your parcel from KY to Canada, which also come out of that fee.

Think it through. Cui bono? Not you or I (well, maybe I, as a Canadian seller).

You may find ways to work around bad buys through GSP, but there are many instances where GSP actually is the cheapest shipping choice.

Message 1086 of 6,171
latest reply

same these prices are outrageous compare to other seller on line.   cant afford to buy on ebay anymore from usa. I try to buy from china with free shipping.  how can amazon are able to ship to Canada for about half the price.   thank you ebay for introducing me to amazon.             regards john

Message 1087 of 6,171
latest reply

Like some other posters here, I will now not buy from any US seller using GSP. I'm just skipping their listings as I search. The fees are way too high and inappropriate as far as customs charges go. In addition, one of the two purchases I made from sellers using GSP has gone missing and I have not received any compensation yet.

Message 1088 of 6,171
latest reply

@gryffjeff wrote:

Like some other posters here, I will now not buy from any US seller using GSP. I'm just skipping their listings as I search. The fees are way too high and inappropriate as far as customs charges go. In addition, one of the two purchases I made from sellers using GSP has gone missing and I have not received any compensation yet.

How long has it been since you put in your claim, for the items you did not receive...

Message 1089 of 6,171
latest reply

@rick31797 wrote:

@gryffjeff wrote:

How long has it been since you put in your claim, for the items you did not receive...

Has a claim even been made?  Perhaps just a dispute has been filed and it needs to be escalated?

Message 1090 of 6,171
latest reply

va1bob
Community Member

Hi, I find the Global Shipping Program to be an insult to the (CANADIAN) ebay buyer like me.

Shipping is way too high AND the crazy "import charges" are just another unnecessary fee.

I never paid import charges on my ebay purchases yet.

I avoid items with these charges, and have quit collecting microphones and militaria, except for some items not under the GSP.  I am just about finished with being insulted like this.

Ebay,   Get rid of this silly and insulting ripoff! 

This GSP is decreasing the income of ebay sellers, who I have found to be a wonderful group!

-Bob McGrath, a Canadian!  (just North of the US)

Message 1091 of 6,171
latest reply

Once again, I have to wonder why some people seem to think that the GSP was put in place to charge Canadians the taxes (and possibly duties) due on a personal import.

Message 1092 of 6,171
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

Once again, I have to wonder why some people seem to think that the GSP was put in place to charge Canadians the taxes (and possibly duties) due on a personal import.

Bob was not referring to that, that was your interpretation, your a person that said you will never use GSP , but you seem to want to protect it..as others have seen..If you want to pay customs fees and maybe duty on everything you buy from the US, maybe you should use it.

Message 1093 of 6,171
latest reply

@rick31797 wrote:

Bob was not referring to that, that was your interpretation, your a person that said you will never use GSP , but you seem to want to protect it..as others have seen..If you want to pay customs fees and maybe duty on everything you buy from the US, maybe you should use it.

Bob was referring to "unnecessary" import charges, so I think my interpretation of what he had to say is just as valid as yours, whatever it is seeing as you didn't actually elaborate on what you believe he said.

I think your interpretation of what I'm saying is way off the mark, though.  I'm trying to protect the posters of erroneous information from making mistakes elsewhere.  I don't want to see them making similar complaints either on the U.S. eBay boards or to eBay higher ups only to have them dismissed or even ridiculed because the poster's regarded as a rube who doesn't know anything about purchasing stuff from outside Canada.

As I've said elsewhere, it's easier to battle your enemy when you know your enemy's ways.  The GSP is in place to make global selling "easier" for sellers.  The part about no import charges on delivery is a marketing attempt to make the GSP more palatable to buyers, and it well may be advantageous to certain buyers in that context.

The GSP doesn't work for you.  Fine, I get that.  I don't think it works for me in its present set-up either.  But I'm not going to bleat that it should be shut down when it seems to work for some people and I still have a choice about who I can buy from, be that seller be on eBay or elsewhere.  And I'm not about to deny a seller the choice to use it if they've voluntarily opted into the program and found a way to make it work for them.  The GSP is a business move, not a series of personal attacks on Canadians.

Message 1094 of 6,171
latest reply

Note: The Request total from the seller link is not available for Global Shipping Program purchases. You will see the total, including shipping, after you've purchased the item.

Quote from the Help file on GPS. So I have to commit to a bid before the so-called "import charges" appear, and nothing will be finalized until I've actually bought the item.

How ridiculous. Apart from the extra expense in charges for nothing (I've never paid any duty on purchases from the US), eBay is violating its own policy of having sellers inform buyers of all charges BEFORE commiting to a bid.

GPS is an absolute scam. It has put me off bidding on several items from the US that I once would have bid on. The charges are high and indefensible.

Message 1095 of 6,171
latest reply

Well, I meant GSP, though GPS probably costs about the same.
Message 1096 of 6,171
latest reply

Not an attack on Canadians, true. Rather an attack on US sellers by deterring Canadian buyers. It's ironic that a program meant to make life easier for sellers is actually shooting them in the foot!
Message 1097 of 6,171
latest reply

@aramatic wrote:

So I have to commit to a bid before the so-called "import charges" appear, and nothing will be finalized until I've actually bought the item.

How ridiculous. Apart from the extra expense in charges for nothing (I've never paid any duty on purchases from the US), eBay is violating its own policy of having sellers inform buyers of all charges BEFORE commiting to a bid.

I went through the motions of purchasing from a US seller's GSP test listing in the early days of the program.  I did everything but pay for the item.  The import charges stated on the listing page were no different than what showed up in the invoice.  I suspect that import charges are stated as "estimated" on the listing page because there can be no "final" import charges on an auction-style listing until the auction has ended, and because buyers may have a different "ship to" location than the one used to calculate listing import charges when viewing the listing.

I'm not sure there is a policy about sellers having all charges stated in a listing.  I still run into the occasional US listing where a shipper hasn't provided shipping charges to Canada even though they state shipping to our country, for example.

As for "charges for nothing," just because an item passes through customs without getting charged for taxes, duty and processing doesn't mean that the item isn't subject to those charges.  Technically speaking, any personal import sent by mail (or other carrier) with a declared value of over C$20 is subject to taxes (HST/GST/PST/QST/RST, etc.) and duty, if applicable.

@aramatic wrote:

Not an attack on Canadians, true. Rather an attack on US sellers by deterring Canadian buyers. It's ironic that a program meant to make life easier for sellers is actually shooting them in the foot!

I doubt many toes are getting blown off here.  Most US sellers who adopted the GSP in its early days as a replacement for direct mailed shipments to their non-US buyers have likely switched back if they were using the program for inappropriate merchandise.  What we're left with are sellers who haven't shipped much--if anything--internationally in their lives, and they're not going to see any sort of dent in their previously non-existent Canadian (or international) sales.  What doesn't sell to a Canadian eBayer will likely sell to an American one just fine.

Also keep in mind that sales to Canada don't make up a huge proportion of most US eBay sellers' sales anyway. 

Message 1098 of 6,171
latest reply

Well....well!  I just finished buying a pair of jeans from an American seller for $49.  Shipping was $17 & change.  The unexpected import charge was $19 & change.  The overall price tag at the end of this transaction was just shy of $84.  Guess what this means? Never again will I trust eBay for any of my future purchases.  Sorry sellers!  If these guys think they are going to do to me what they're doing to the rest of society, they better provide the KY & kiss me first.  48 perfect purchases over the course of my history here & now one of the faces of unbridled greed is going to end it.  I guess I'll have to start buying more from the Chinese.  They'll probably give me a much better deal without all the hidden stuff thrown in.  They can afford it!  They already own 40 some odd percent of the United States.  This stupid gouge import charge move will have them up to 50% in no time.  Congratulations corporate America!

Message 1099 of 6,171
latest reply

Well, I just had my first "run-in" with the GSP.  I think it is a money making scam.  As many have mentioned, many times you do not get any customs or tax charges importing from USA into Canada.  Now, with this program you are guaranteed to pay it,... UP FRONT!.  And, Pitney Bowes and/or Ebay get to keep the money even if nothing goes to Canada Customs.  This is unfair.  I called the Ebay GSP agent tonight and asked about the harmonization code category used for a GSP item I purchased on ebay.  He, said he had no way to know and it would only be known when it got to PB.  However, they seem to already know up front what the import fees are going to be because they charged me up front.  That means they either already know the code, or are charging a flat rate.  Eventually, the agent admitted that the money is all pocketed into one pool and in some cases ebay/PB will make money if actual charges are less, and will pay the full amount, but not pass on to the buyer if they are more. I am sure they calculated the probabilities and estimate of income from this before they ever put it in place.  As usual, the users are paying and lining the ebay pockets.  We have enough fees being paid already.  If they would just leave things alone and not constantly screw things up with useless changes they could probably reduce the ebay fees.

Message 1100 of 6,171
latest reply