Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Re: Comments about the Global Shipping Program

@pierrelebel wrote:

"Visibility is rather useless when you're being seen by buyers who want nothing to do with the service you are using. And alienating buyers doesn't do those sellers, or any other seller, any good."

I totally agree.

But, once again, GSP was not implemented with Canadian buyers in mind.  We are a very small percentage of the worldwide buyers targeted by eBay when the program started. Their plan was and remains to find international buyers for American sellers who previously sold on a domestic basis only. Recently eBay added the UK and British sellers to the program because it is successful in the USA (despite what Canadians may think of it).

It is unfortunate that eBay did such a poor job educating American sellers:

1) by not enforcing its own suggestion to list only items worth US$50 or more

2) by offering GSP only to sellers who did not previously ship outside their border.  Those gals and guys did not need GSP.  They knew how to mail to Canada as they had done for years.

Again we are in agreement on principle.

Since it is by now abundantly clear that Canadian buyers are about as fond of the GSP as they are of catching the flu, why not have a GSP filter on ebay.ca? That way any buyer who wants to see GSP items would be able to, while those who'd rather fall down a cliff than purchase anything GSP-related would not have their searches polluted.

Ebay.ca recently conducted a "test" whereby all GSP items were sent down to the bottom of searches, along with international items. So surely it is possible to implement a GSP filter on this site alone. The program is a bust in Canada, it's high time eBay admitted it and did something for its Canadian buyers.  Ebay's customers may be the sellers, but those sellers need buyers and so, indirectly, does eBay.

And if eBay feels that Canadian ebayers are unimportant, then why have a .ca site at all?

Message 4841 of 6,171
latest reply

Hello,

Ebay's Global Shipping Program is a terrible option for Canadian buyers, multiplying the costs with no visible benefits (except for Pitney Bowes). I now automatically avoid sellers who are using this program.

Message 4842 of 6,171
latest reply

It is tough to say something constructive when an item costing $7.49 gets $17 49 added to it for shipping via the GSP.

This would have cost about $8 going via USPS.No taxes were to be paid on this item.

Consequently I do not buy items that ship via GSP, UPS or Fed Ex when I can avoid it, which is often.

Message 4843 of 6,171
latest reply

I do have a comment about the GSP - I will not buy from anyone using this ever again.  First of all, the "Import " Charges are not what the Canadian Customs Service would charge.  Therefore, there must be a fee paid somewhere to a third party or to Pitney Bowes for service.  Secondly, when my parcel finally arrived, I was not home.  Had to go pick it up - and the location for pick up was behind our LANDFILL on some rough dirt and gravel roads.  Really a ridiculous location.  So - if you are using GSP - don't expect that I will be purchasing from you.  Possibly this is more convenient for the US sellers - but is totally inconvenient and more expensive for your Canadian customers.  

Message 4844 of 6,171
latest reply

I agree with others it sucks seller submitted paperwork July 9, 2015got to ERLANGER, KY July 15th. From there it disappeared into a blackhole. It surfaced at Canada Post in Mississaigua Ont on July 17th. Checked with Canada Post Tracking could not locate package did not where package was or when it would ship, they knew they had it, advised I greta hold og Global, got a hold of their call centre couldn't tell me a thing advised would get back to me in 72 hours they never did. The seller went through the same hassle i did.

Next transaction if ever, I am going to demand seller not use Global Shipping Program.

Message 4845 of 6,171
latest reply

Your item was shipped by the seller on July 9.

That was 19 days ago.

About normal.

If the item has not arrived by Friday, go to the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page and open an Item Not Received Dispute.

It would be polite to let the seller know that you are doing this, but that he is not affected by the Dispute, which is with the GSP.

If Pitney Bowes/GSP cannot show that the item has been delivered, you will be refunded in full.

The seller will not be affected by this.

Any tracking is useless to the buyer, since it is there to protect the seller against fraudulent INR claims.  All it does is gets the nervous buyer, who misunderstands the purpose, into a tizzy.

You have up to 45 days (or 30 days after estimated arrival) to open an Item Not Received dispute.

Message 4846 of 6,171
latest reply

I've had several items now delivered from US to Canada by GSP. Tracking does not work. eBay says "Item Delivered" when it reaches PBI at Erlanger Global Shipping Center. After that, no tracking as it makes its way to Canada. Also gives seller erroneous info that the item has been delivered when it is still in KY. I will no longer buy items which are shipped by GSP.

Message 4847 of 6,171
latest reply

There is one good thing that the hated Global Shipping Program has done, and that is to trick/force (shoehorn) US sellers who previously did not ship internationally into doing so.

While I certainly do not purchase items that ship through that program, I find that more than 60% of the now-International US sellers will remove Global Shipping and ship the item(s) themselves via USPS once contacted and asked to do so. Sometimes a little explaining is necessary; many of them seem surprised at the S&H cost to the out-of-country buyer.

Note: Sellers cannot change the shipping method once bids have been placed.

Educating sellers about the Global Shipping costs to the buyers and providing a suitable alternative that works for buyer and seller is a good way to deal with these listings.
Message 4848 of 6,171
latest reply

"There is one good thing that the hated Global Shipping Program has done, and that is to trick/force (shoehorn) US sellers who previously did not ship internationally into doing so."

Are you sure?  Sounds doubtful they can be forced to ship internationally.

"Note: Sellers cannot change the shipping method once bids have been placed."

But they can probably cancel the listing before it ends and then just re-post with desired shipping details.

Message 4849 of 6,171
latest reply

@mater721 wrote:

"There is one good thing that the hated Global Shipping Program has done, and that is to trick/force (shoehorn) US sellers who previously did not ship internationally into doing so."

Are you sure?  Sounds doubtful they can be forced to ship internationally.

"Note: Sellers cannot change the shipping method once bids have been placed."

But they can probably cancel the listing before it ends and then just re-post with desired shipping details.

I Checked  "NO" to global shipping program, but Ebay still let an International buyer bought from me. Because the shipping label was in the U.S., so I thought the buyer were from the U.S..  ONLY after I shipped out the package, then I found out the buyers is from overseas.

How could this happen?  How could Ebay trick me into selling through this GSP?

Now all I can do is to cross my finger, hoping the package arrives safely.

Message 4850 of 6,171
latest reply

Are there not settings when you create a listing that specify international available or not?

Also, with GSP I think you are only responsible for getting the item to KY. After that, it's on Pitney Bowes.

I've never sold, so my knowledge is based on what others have posted...

Message 4851 of 6,171
latest reply

111coinlover111 wrote:\

I Checked  "NO" to global shipping program, but Ebay still let an International buyer bought from me. Because the shipping label was in the U.S., so I thought the buyer were from the U.S..  ONLY after I shipped out the package, then I found out the buyers is from overseas.

Are you sure the item was being shipped through the GSP?  Some buyers from outside the United States will have their item forwarded to them from an address in the United States.  If the tracking for the item shows delivery to that U.S. address, you will have fulfilled your obligation to the buyer as far as eBay and PayPal are concerned.

"Ships to U.S. only" does not necessarily mean the same as "sells to 'mericans only".

Message 4852 of 6,171
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

111coinlover111 wrote:\

Are you sure the item was being shipped through the GSP?  Some buyers from outside the United States will have their item forwarded to them from an address in the United States.  If the tracking for the item shows delivery to that U.S. address, you will have fulfilled your obligation to the buyer as far as eBay and PayPal are concerned.

"Ships to U.S. only" does not necessarily mean the same as "sells to 'mericans only".

Thanks for the reply.  The buyer is from South America, but I shipped to the address in Miami, FL.  i do not know what is going on.

Message 4853 of 6,171
latest reply

" i do not know what is going on."

All is good.  You did your job.

Over the years I have received hundreds of purchases from buyers using a Miami FL or Brooklyn NY address.  Typically, those Miami addresses are forwarders re-shipping to buyers in Latin America and other locations while the Brooklyn addresses are used for buyers located in Russia or Eastern Europe.

These buyers pay forwarders to acquire goods otherwise not available to them from sellers not shipping outside North America.

Nothing to do with GSP.

Message 4854 of 6,171
latest reply

I believe some here said there was an updated Ebay agreement awhile back that was egregiously long and if you did not scroll to the end and uncheck a certain box, you were enrolled.

I've read about FVF discounts for signing up with the program.

Perhaps if a US seller (or UK seller?) lists even once an item that ships internationally and the seller has opted into Global Shipping Program, future auctions are also international (GSP) by default.

However it happens, I see many US sellers listing things that show up as International auctions yet the seller states "US Bidders Only Please". Guess who's shipping - our 'friends' at Pitney Bowes.

Message 4855 of 6,171
latest reply

@wickedservant wrote:
Perhaps if a US seller (or UK seller?) lists even once an item that ships internationally and the seller has opted into Global Shipping Program, future auctions are also international (GSP) by default.

However it happens, I see many US sellers listing things that show up as International auctions yet the seller states "US Bidders Only Please". Guess who's shipping - our 'friends' at Pitney Bowes.

Ebay has consistently denied that sellers are being enrolled into the GSP without being told. But yeah, those "US bidders/buyers only" listings with GSP shipping aren't rare.

So eBay doesn't enroll sellers into the GSP without letting them know and yes Virginia, the sky really is pink!

Message 4856 of 6,171
latest reply

Never put down to conspiracy what can be explained by carelessness and stupidity.

Given that for a time eBay was defaulting new sellers, the least experienced and most nervous possible candidates, into the Global Shipping Program.

And given that those newbies are the least likely to be able to figure out how to change the default and opt out.

And given that US sellers don't get many foreign buyers, because the US market is still the largest in the world.

It makes sense that a seller would just add that 'US buyers only please' note rather than actually opting out of a programme they don't understand that they are enrolled in.

It would make a lot more sense for eBay to add one of those warning boxes (like the ones used for stamp and Native American listings) telling sellers that they are using the GSP and that they should not do so on items valued under $50 . As well, that note should show them how much their foreign customers will be seeing as the shipping cost.

Message 4857 of 6,171
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

It would make a lot more sense for eBay to add one of those warning boxes (like the ones used for stamp and Native American listings) telling sellers that they are using the GSP and that they should not do so on items valued under $50 . As well, that note should show them how much their foreign customers will be seeing as the shipping cost.

I agree with you for the most part, but that "$50 limit" is really quite arbitrary and it's more the nature of the item that should dictate if and when the GSP is used, not its value.

I recently received an item with a declared value of over $100 sent through a mail consolidator to Canada Post.  Customs didn't assess it for taxes owing at all.

Where do we draw the line on declared value?  Why not just say that the GSP is generally best suited for items that can't or shouldn't be mailed as oversized letters (i.e. First Class Mail International / Small Packet)?

Message 4858 of 6,171
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

I agree with you for the most part, but that "$50 limit" is really quite arbitrary and it's more the nature of the item that should dictate if and when the GSP is used, not its value.

I recently received an item with a declared value of over $100 sent through a mail consolidator to Canada Post.  Customs didn't assess it for taxes owing at all.

Where do we draw the line on declared value?  Why not just say that the GSP is generally best suited for items that can't or shouldn't be mailed as oversized letters (i.e. First Class Mail International / Small Packet)?

The limit is indeed totally arbitrary. It only popped up a few months into the GSP, when apparently bewildered eBay employees were facing a barrage of complaints from angry international buyers which should have been entirely predictable. Their own selling pages still advertise the GSP as an excellent way to start selling internationally, regardless of the value of a seller's item. So that $50 limit is nothing more than PR-speak, at least for eBay.

Ultimately, no one is forced to buy GSP items. But it seems to me that for those who do, and for the sellers who sell to them, there are more pressing issues to be fixed. Why can GSP sellers still list without mentioning the item's weight, size and country of origin? Why is it still possible to list items that will not be sent on to the buyers because of certain restrictions such as CITES? There is no surest way to alienate a buyer.

But most of all, why is it still so difficult for buyers to figure out what to do when they don't receive what they ordered, or if their items arrives damaged? The process should be fully integrated with the complaint process. Instead, buyers are left twisting in the wind and usually involve the seller, thus compounding the mess. This is a recurring problem, as anyone who reads the .ca and .com boards knows full well.

I think that all those problems need to be addressed ahead of the $50 limit issue. But that is JMHO.

Message 4859 of 6,171
latest reply

The global shipping program has been the best thing that ever happened.  

1. Have you seen the ups and fedex fee charts they impose on goods. Yes sometimes smaller purchases under 200.00 do no get assessed, AS THEY SHOULD!!).  While Canada post may often hit and miss on this issue, there is no gaurentee you will not pay it's required processing fee of 10.00 Plus gst plus pst plus 6 percent china tax if required etc. You can be sure UPS will never miss!!!!

even on cheap items. Global shipping leaves no surprises. You know up front what you have to pay. 

2. Many times most items in the USA are priced including free shipping. For example you can find cerwin vega cv 5000 amplifiers priced at 799.00 with free shipping to usa buyers. The Canadian if purchased would have to usually pay 150.00 extra for shipping these heavy amps, and be subjected to 80.00 ups or fex brokerage charge, then of course pst and gst, and china tax. It is like paying twice for shipping!!!. 

The same amplifier through GSP allows the seller to include the local shipping cost as a credit to the buyer and he then only pays the difference in the extra cost to  ship these items. 100 miles  further accross the border. My cost through GPS 799.00 plus 20.00 shipping, plus 77.00 import tax including clearing. This is a savings of over 130.00 in shipping alone, along with a savings of 80.00 in UPS brokerage etc, and even a savings in tax, as many times the couriers charge more tax then they are suppose to. 

I have made over 100 purchases under the GSP, and almost never purchase via any other method. The rates for these big items are now unbearable through the USPS, who have priced themselves out of the market for the bigger items like amplifiers, TVS, 

Home theatre recievers etc. 

3. I find all the GSP rates to be cheaper than common carrier. It does not work well for buying a couple fuses. 

Message 4860 of 6,171
latest reply