Ending eBay Bucks Program in CANADA but not US????

After reviewing the eBay Bucks Rewards Program, we have made the difficult decision to end the Program in Canada. We want to thank you for participating in the Program and being a valued member of our community.

You'll continue to earn eBay Bucks until March 31, and in early April you'll receive your final Certificate, which will expire after 30 days. As a token of our appreciation, we'll add a US$5 bonus to that last Certificate.

Again, thank you—we have appreciated your membership and hope you have found it rewarding. If you have any questions about the eBay Bucks closure in Canada, please feel free to visit our frequently asked questions page.

Sincerely,

eBay Bucks Team

Message 1 of 104
latest reply
103 REPLIES 103

Ebay introduced this program as a shift of marketing funds "from acquiring new buyers to reward existing eBay buyers." and i would read increased buying from existing members, after all , what are marketing funds for.

That the program "it wasn't delivering the value to the eBay Community that we had expected or wanted." i , interpret as Canadians not taking advantage. I'm just surprised that we could be so different from our american friends.

Message 61 of 104
latest reply

"interpret as Canadians not taking advantage."

Maybe not.

Maybe Canadians took advantage of the program as Americans did.

However, if eBay purchases from Canadians did not increase significantly during the "eBay Bucks reward program" duration, what was the point?  Money wasted on rewards without the expected increased.revenues. 😞

Message 62 of 104
latest reply

well my prior post was removed although I broke no rules.

Its not fair USA members get to continue with rewards program and canadians again get nothing, the pennies a day on exchange rate should more than cover rewards program

Message 63 of 104
latest reply

Message 64 of 104
latest reply

Sure, it won't affect me buying on eBay for the small things I really want that I can almost only find on eBay ... But when I had something to buy of high value (let's say 1k+), the $20+ off (combined with CC reward when paying through PayPal) definitely made me look on eBay first, and I even made exceptions to buy it over here from a reputable seller instead of the absolute security of walking off the door of a merchant store with the item in hand, even if it was $20-50 more.

Now? They take my CC at the local store too so I still get CC rewards without PayPal, won't take the minimal chance of something going wrong by buying on eBay this type of items ...

Also, I can't even remember the number of items (many!) I did pull the trigger on that convinced me just because of this stupid 2% off in the end. I will definitely buy less widgets now because this psychological gimmick won't be there to "convince" me in the end by giving the final push.

I'm certainly not the only one in this case.

They will definitely see an impact on the purchases of canadians. Maybe the decision wasn't to try to make more money, maybe they were forced by canadian government or something. If not, it's truly a stupid move.

Message 65 of 104
latest reply

cpclady
Community Member

After reading Kelvins response I am even more upset. I always had enough eBucks to purchase something for myself every three months. Once all of my items have expired I will be ending my contract with eBay. With high fees and enormous shipping fees it just doesn't pay anymore. I hope they change their minds because I hope that a few others will also follow my lead and stop eBay and Paypal. Does anyone know of other sites that are similiar because I am done being pushed around and forgotten about here in Canada!!!!!!!!!!

Message 66 of 104
latest reply

it wasn't delivering the value to the eBay Community that we had expected or wanted.

We are the ebay comunity and I think buyers are telling you they valued it .. If you meant the Corperations wasn't making enough money thats a different thing but the guy who own it are not the ebay Community unless someone else has seen them around here chatting to THE EBAY COMMUNITY i know I haven't and would never consider them part of the community as they make decision based on money in there pocket not on whats best for the Community very poor choice of words there

Message 67 of 104
latest reply

I don't care whether the programs leaves or not but I bet Canadians spend alot more per person seeing as how we pay more for things in Canada then places like the US ..

Message 68 of 104
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Kalvin, I am truly disappointed with your message.  It sounds as if eBay was expecting way too much and felt downlow because it didn't meet your expectations, so you decided to end it for the Canadian eBayers???   Shame on you for being too way greedy as usual!!

That is what you got for being greedy and felt that we didn't meet your expectations!!  Sheesh!!X-(

Message 69 of 104
latest reply

Maybe they decided that since the Canadian govt stopped making the penny, ebay should stop paying pennies???

Message 70 of 104
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

"It wasn't delivering the value to the eBay Community that we expected or wanted"

It was occurred to me that eBay didn't expect us Canadian buyers spend way more $$$ (more than American buyers!!) than they expected or wanted and they had to redeem a lot of $$$ in eBucks to us and they don't want to lose more $$$ that way, so they decided to retire eBucks!!

😉

Message 71 of 104
latest reply

When a program like that it is started, it is usually because the company wants current customers to spend more and wants to gain new customers. Perhaps ebay bucks on .ca didn't help to do either of those two things....or at least not enough to make it worthwhile to continue the promotion. Companies are  not going to spend money on promotions unless there is a gain to be made. That's not greedy...that's just the way business works.

As far as Canadian buyers spending more money than U.S. buyers...well..because our population is so small I'm sure that the sales on this site are minuscule compared to the U.S. site.

Message 72 of 104
latest reply

cpclady
Community Member

After all of my listings are finished, I am finished with eBay and PayPal. Too bad though I really enjoyed shopping and selling. I bought approximately 95% of my Christmas presents on eBay and my family was over the moon with the stuff I was able to find. I will be using other sights from now on. I hope that eBay sees a decline from sellers and buyers in Canada and it hits them right where it hurts. To be given such a vague reason as to why to eBucks program is being discontinued is why I am upset. If they were doing it across the board then fine, but to do it only in Canada, forget them and I will.........:(

Message 73 of 104
latest reply

I hope that eBay sees a decline from sellers and buyers in Canada

Ebay will not see a decline in anything this 2% ebay buck is not gonna stop people from saving 5 to 50% off of retail...

It will not change that paying less well not having to gas up and travel is awesome..

In my opinion sure it might suck a little but 2% to have so many people acting like it's a big deal is Crazy ...

You know what a big deal is .. I paid $1967 to heat my 1200sg ft house this winter and it was taxed ...

I go to buy food not junk and it is taxed ....

2% of my 30% off retail is not a big issue and I assume most people who walk away from ebay for this will be back when they realize filling up your tank driving for 2 hrs to pay 15% more makes no sense ..

Message 74 of 104
latest reply

"I go to buy food not junk and it is taxed ....'

Where do you shop?

Basic groceries in Ontario are tax exempt - both provincial and federal (except of course for pop, snacks, prepared meals, etc...).

Message 75 of 104
latest reply

Sorry mad bad mistake in my fit of rage LOL

Message 76 of 104
latest reply

"my fit of rage"

You work too much!  Take a break. 🙂

Message 77 of 104
latest reply

fez440
Community Member

i also wish ebay would give a good reason as to why they are canceling this program.  there vague answer is not good enough!

Message 78 of 104
latest reply

Ebay called me yesterday when I requested a response to my email about the program ending in Canada.

What I was told is, not enough Canadian members took advantage of the program by enrolling in it, and those enrolled did not increase their spending habits.

When the email was send out very few members complained about the ending of the program.

Message 79 of 104
latest reply

I thinks its stopping the program because when Canadians get $5 or $15 in bucks they often go out and buy a $5 or $15 item .... essentially getting it free and thus ebay pays for it. I've done this and will do it again shortly.

One of the best things about ebay is the low ticket items like batteries and light bulbs from china  ..... a bulb in Canada that costs you $4.99 ea plus tax in a store, can be had for $1 each on ebay in quantities of 10 or more.

Use the last of your ebay bucks to do this .... it will annoy them to no end. lol!

Message 80 of 104
latest reply