Be careful.,Seller ships with DHL....Huge costs at Canadian Customs!!! Wish I knew before!!!

4donny
Community Member

Just wanted to let others know the problems with DHL....DHL...charge horrendous charges at customs for items to be cleared....I talked to the driver,,,and was told if I refuse the item and self clear I might lose the item....as they may send it back to its destination.....Just be careful....if your seller is using DHL.....My item was valued at 30.00...and I paid a 19.67 clearance fee....Ten dollars minimum charge...4.00 miscellaneous fee and 4.67 taxes....Wish I knew before!!!!  Unfortunately lots of sellers ship DHL.....Be very careful!!! The seller I purchased from ships DHL....Factor a huge extra customs charge,,,,,If I knew I would not have ordered....

Message 1 of 59
latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Be careful.,Seller ships with DHL....Huge costs at Canadian Customs!!! Wish I knew before!!!

This is a problem with all couriers.

The $20 duty free allowance is way to low.

Cross border shoppers can import $200 worth of product but mail importers can only import $20 before duty and tax becomes applicable.

However.

The Canadian Border Services Agency who are mandated to collect these taxes and duties have made the very sensible decision not to bother with items that are low -cost and/or not bulky.

Sensible because they would be collecting less money than it would cost them to process collection.

BUT

Private companies like DHL (and Pitney Bowes who process Global Shipping Program purchases) MUST follow the law , appraise the imports and charge the importer (eBay buyer).

The best answer would be for the federal government to raise the duty free allowance to match the cross-border allowance. And then instruct CBSA and Canada Post to collect.

The second best answer would be for US sellers to mark their shipments with country of origin, thus taking NAFTA manufactured items out of the dutiable category. These would still be taxable of course, which can be up to 15% of value.  This seems tobe the reason PB is opening so many carefully packed parcels. No statement of origin.

Message 2 of 59
latest reply

DHL is very cheap and reasonable. There isn't much you can do without being charged $10. 

Regardless of duties or not, all items coming into canada must be cleared. That's the $10 fee. The $4 fee is likely a COD fee for payment at the door. You can pay the amount owing in advance and save the $4.(if that's the charge in this case).

I could be mistaken, but AFAIK, NAFTA items are still subject to brokerage costs to clear them through customs, just that there are no duties on them. 

The rest is taxes and with the changes in CP's system, I am guessing they are gearing up to collect taxes in the future as well. 

Carriers used to be ridiculous and that $30 item would have had $50 or more in various charges. It doesn't help, but at least it's less now. 

It's best to make sure you know the shipping charges before you get an item send to you. There is no way around it, no matter who you buy from. When it crosses the border it must go through a brokerage or you can do it yourself, but it must be cleared. 

Message 3 of 59
latest reply

DHL is very cheap and reasonable. There isn't much you can do without being charged $10. 

Regardless of duties or not, all items coming into canada must be cleared. That's the $10 fee. The $4 fee is likely a COD fee for payment at the door. You can pay the amount owing in advance and save the $4.(if that's the charge in this case).

I could be mistaken, but AFAIK, NAFTA items are still subject to brokerage costs to clear them through customs, just that there are no duties on them.

If there is no duty OR tax charged, there should not be a brokerage charge. But even for NAFTA items, tax is payable if the item is over C$20 and taxable in Canada.

Message 4 of 59
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

If there is no duty OR tax charged, there should not be a brokerage charge. But even for NAFTA items, tax is payable if the item is over C$20 and taxable in Canada.

Why shouldn't there be a brokerage charge, though?  "Brokerage" is more than the process of schwacking a shipment with taxes and duty.  There's other customs clearance processes that have to be performed.

Message 5 of 59
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Why shouldn't there be a brokerage charge, though?  "Brokerage" is more than the process of schwacking a shipment with taxes and duty.  There's other customs clearance processes that have to be performed.

I'm not debating whether there should or should not be a brokerage charge when there are no taxes or duty charged. I am saying that there is not one charged in those circumstances. I am referring to packages delivered by Canada Post or a courier service.

Message 6 of 59
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I'm not debating whether there should or should not be a brokerage charge when there are no taxes or duty charged. I am saying that there is not one charged in those circumstances. I am referring to packages delivered by Canada Post or a courier service.

Okay, I must have been a bit confused there as the thread was originally about DHL and not Canada Post, which only had one mention prior to yours and I didn't get the sense you were referring back to that.

For what it's worth, I don't consider Canada Post's ten dollar fee a "brokerage" charge as Canada Post doesn't actually clear the item through customs or calculate fees due.  It's simply a fee for collecting and remitting monies due to Canada Revenue.

Picky, perhaps, but I think this distinction is important.

Message 7 of 59
latest reply

Okay, I must have been a bit confused there as the thread was originally about DHL and not Canada Post, which only had one mention prior to yours and I didn't get the sense you were referring back to that.

DHL is a courier service and was included in my statement. I'm not sure what your point is. Neither courier services nor services that use the postal system charge any sort of extra fee when there is tax or duty to pay so I have no idea what you are disagreeing with.

Message 8 of 59
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

DHL is a courier service and was included in my statement. I'm not sure what your point is. Neither courier services nor services that use the postal system charge any sort of extra fee when there is tax or duty to pay so I have no idea what you are disagreeing with.

You wrote:  If there is no duty OR tax charged, there should not be a brokerage charge.

I'm pretty much agreeing with Froogal's point that even if there's no taxes or duty owing on an item, a carrier is still within its rights to charge for brokerage provided they've stipulated that in its terms and conditions.  Those unclear on what constitutes "brokerage" may equate it strictly with the process of assessing and collecting taxes and duty owed, and that's not the case.

What usually seems to happen, however, is that for items not subject to tax/duty charges--just as with the GSP--brokerage fees get folded into the item's shipping charge instead.

Message 9 of 59
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

You wrote:  If there is no duty OR tax charged, there should not be a brokerage charge.

I'm pretty much agreeing with Froogal's point that even if there's no taxes or duty owing on an item, a carrier is still within its rights to charge for brokerage provided they've stipulated that in its terms and conditions.  Those unclear on what constitutes "brokerage" may equate it strictly with the process of assessing and collecting taxes and duty owed, and that's not the case.

What usually seems to happen, however, is that for items not subject to tax/duty charges--just as with the GSP--brokerage fees get folded into the item's shipping charge instead.

omg lol
It's just a matter of semantics..

I said there should not be a brokerage charge as in there WILL NOT be a brokerage charge in such and such circumstances. Froogle was referring to DHL and said 'I could be mistaken, but AFAIK, NAFTA items are still subject to brokerage costs to clear them through customs, just that there are no duties on them."

I was not disagreeing with him but simply adding that IF there was no duty due AND no tax due, there would not be a brokerage fee charged. As I said a few posts ago, I was not debating whether there should or should not be a brokerage charge.  The only reason I referred to other couriers and CP was to make it clear that I wasn't referring to the GSP.

I'm sorry if that doesn't explain what I originally meant..if not..oh well. It's really doesn't matter 🙂

Message 10 of 59
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@marnotom! wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

omg lol
It's just a matter of semantics..

I said there should not be a brokerage charge as in there WILL NOT be a brokerage charge in such and such circumstances. Froogle was referring to DHL and said 'I could be mistaken, but AFAIK, NAFTA items are still subject to brokerage costs to clear them through customs, just that there are no duties on them."

I was not disagreeing with him but simply adding that IF there was no duty due AND no tax due, there would not be a brokerage fee charged. As I said a few posts ago, I was not debating whether there should or should not be a brokerage charge.  The only reason I referred to other couriers and CP was to make it clear that I wasn't referring to the GSP.

I'm sorry if that doesn't explain what I originally meant..if not..oh well. It's really doesn't matter 🙂

I still thing that's wrong. Not counting Canada Post all carriers charge for clearing packages through customs, whether there are taxes or not and whether there is duty or not. 

The act of clearing an item to determine whether taxes or duties are required, is why there is a charge. Why would a carrier go through the effort and then say 'oh good taxes and duty are owed' here's a $10 fee for the work we did. Or , 'oh no duty or taxes required, I guess we don't get paid for the work we did to find out that no duty or taxes are required' 

All items coming in to Canada must clear customs. If another company does that work for someone, they will charge for it. 

The only exception to this rule I know of is if the item is under $20 value then some carriers may not charge a fee. 

Message 11 of 59
latest reply

In the past, I have ordered a GPS, Tablets and other various items and was never hit with such fees.  However, Canada Post was used....DHL are thieves....They do not let you self clear and instead threaten to send back item....

Message 12 of 59
latest reply

The Canadian Border Services Agency seems to have a policy that small and low value items will not be assessed for duty (and by extension, sales tax).

Not just the under $20 stuff , but many other items. If the item is bulky or very high value, it will be assessed.

A GPS system is about the size of a half dozen eggs. A tablet equivalent to a thin book. The size may be what allowed them to slip through.

The principle seems to be that it makes no sense to charge duty if the amount collected is lower than the cost of collecting. Border officers are in the $20 to $40 an hour pay rate. If they can't collect at least their wages in duty every hour, they are wasting the taxpayers' money.

Common sense from the public service. Who da thought?

But commericial shippers, like DHL, UPS, CanPar, must obey the law. And the law is duty is assessed if the value is over $20 Cdn /$18US.

Even though their workers are probably paid less ($15 to $25 an hour perhaps), it is likely that the commercial carriers are still losing money on these low value packages. That would go a long way to explaining that infuriating $25 on the doorstep or no package brokerage charge that so many Canadians complain about.

Are you a thief if you do a job that you are required by law to do and charge a fee for doing it?

Message 13 of 59
latest reply

Addressing the OP: Yes, 4donny, that happened to me ONCE - it was a $35 fee when CP was only charging $5. Ok, once again a few years later when someone sent me a gift without my knowledge. But after the first time, I then educated myself about the system. I now just don't order from anyone abroad who doesn't ship Canada Post/USPS or whetever their country post  Woman Wink 
Consider yourself schooled now with the help of the other posters.

When you look for return policy; look also for shipping procedures.

Message 14 of 59
latest reply

When you look for return policy; look also for shipping procedures

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are two things I always do before even I even think about purchasing - sellers feedback score and how and with whom they ship.  Even if the feedback score doesn't look that great, but still not glaringly bad, I still take the time to see if I can see comments re item I'm thinking of purchasing - hard if its "private" though.  From the States and they don't ship USPS? - I move on.  Granted it sometimes takes a bit of time , especially trying to look for comments on item - but it's worth it..  Am I over doing it? No way, I avoid so many problems I see posted on here all the time.

Message 15 of 59
latest reply

I processed two items shipped by DHL without any serious issues. Yes, first time it was frustrating. The second item was cleared within couple hours, including "red channel" control by customs officer. Just electronic declaration, additional papers (printed invoices), that's all.

Buyers should be confident in what and how they process international incoming items before commiting to buy them.

And before signing the paper about "brokerage" - read the paper. No one can be your "customs representative" without explicit writter authorization.

I cleared lots of own items in EU, and can help anybody to avoid stupid fees.

Message 16 of 59
latest reply

Yes...That is the problem...I tried to self clear the 30.00 item but DHL driver told me they would send item back....The seller was honest in the end as they paid the brokerage fees....I was lucky...this time.... 

Message 17 of 59
latest reply

"I tried to self clear the 30.00 item but DHL driver told me they would send item back..."

We would report them to the authorities. That is attempted mail fraud and extortion. They did not have written permission from you to broker the package in the first place.

Message 18 of 59
latest reply

4donny wrote: The seller was honest in the end as they paid the brokerage fees....I was lucky...this time.... 

I think he was just trying to avoid getting negged by an upset buyer. Technically, as the importer, brokerage fees and other customs charges are your responsibility.

Message 19 of 59
latest reply

I bought something at a cost of 184$ USD ... 232$ CAD at the moment of the transaction. The seller shipped with DHL which is at the time of the transaction 40$ CAD which is a lot of money compared to other carrier. 

At this time, I told to myself that is a lot of money but this will be the last amount that I will have to pay. WRONNNNGGGG!

I just received a SMS today telling me that I have to pay an additional 65$ to be able to receive my package. This is a message from DHL. 

Come on!! 232$ is about 30$ of taxes. This mean that even if I pay 40$ of shipping for a pen which have a weight of about 0.1 lbs, I have an additional 35$ to pay to the company. I calculate about 10$ for customs but the rest I think goes directly to DHL again even if I already paid 40$.

This is one of the worst experience I've had on ebay.

Never again I will do business with a seller that ship items with DHL even if it's a great deal.

Message 20 of 59
latest reply