Be careful.,Seller ships with DHL....Huge costs at Canadian Customs!!! Wish I knew before!!!

4donny
Community Member

Just wanted to let others know the problems with DHL....DHL...charge horrendous charges at customs for items to be cleared....I talked to the driver,,,and was told if I refuse the item and self clear I might lose the item....as they may send it back to its destination.....Just be careful....if your seller is using DHL.....My item was valued at 30.00...and I paid a 19.67 clearance fee....Ten dollars minimum charge...4.00 miscellaneous fee and 4.67 taxes....Wish I knew before!!!!  Unfortunately lots of sellers ship DHL.....Be very careful!!! The seller I purchased from ships DHL....Factor a huge extra customs charge,,,,,If I knew I would not have ordered....

Message 1 of 59
latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Be careful.,Seller ships with DHL....Huge costs at Canadian Customs!!! Wish I knew before!!!

kuvarian
Community Member

I was ripped off too by DHL.

Bought something at 40$CAD and just been charged 26.22 of fees!!

They said:

10$CAD for custom and 16.22 for DHL fix fee.

Very mad right now.

Message 41 of 59
latest reply

@kuvarian wrote:

I was ripped off too by DHL.

Bought something at 40$CAD and just been charged 26.22 of fees!!

They said:

10$CAD for custom and 16.22 for DHL fix fee.

Very mad right now.

According to your feedback you paid nearly $180 for a dress.  That would have had charges attached no matter how it arrived, assuming the seller told the truth on the customs label.  Everyone in Canada is supposed to pay any required import charges when the buy from outside the country.  Its just that usually cheaper (under ~ $100) are not assessed.  

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/menu-eng.html

Message 42 of 59
latest reply

I just got charged 11.50 custom charge by DHL on an item i paid 18.50.  I'm not buying form this seller anymore.

Message 43 of 59
latest reply

@marieclaudebinette wrote:

I just got charged 11.50 custom charge by DHL on an item i paid 18.50.  I'm not buying form this seller anymore.

That $18.50 will be US dollars (about $25 CAD) and that pushes the amount over the $20 Canadian dollar amount that can be imported without charges. 

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/courier/menu-eng.html

From what I've heard DHL usually charges about $10 for brokerage and $5 for processing, no matter how little you owe so you actually got off fairly cheap.  It is not the seller's fault, but it is a good idea to NOT buy from a seller using a courier.  Before buying, ask if they will mail the item through USPS (the postal system) or buy from someone who does.  

Message 44 of 59
latest reply

Oh man...sounds like I'm going to get rekt by DHL too.  Just ordered something from ebay uk seller and the tracking number shows that it is DHL.  Any idea what's the damage going to be on something that cost $160CAD?

I remember I ordered Confectionery value $40CAD and had DHL billed me $28CAD of additional fees. 

Message 45 of 59
latest reply

@sportygirl52nike wrote:

Oh man...sounds like I'm going to get rekt by DHL too.  Just ordered something from ebay uk seller and the tracking number shows that it is DHL.  Any idea what's the damage going to be on something that cost $160CAD?

I remember I ordered Confectionery value $40CAD and had DHL billed me $28CAD of additional fees. 

What you will pay depends on what the item is, its value, and where it was made.  And what the courier charges.  

You can work out in advance what taxes and duties (if any) apply to your item by using this Duty Calculator:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/pdt-pdt-eng.html#_s3

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/dte-acl/est-cal-eng.html 

Message 46 of 59
latest reply

Sweet, thanks for the link to the calculator!

And ouch...$53CAD and then DHL will probably charge me their handling fees on top of that too.

Would there be any chance that my package won't get checked by customs?  I mean they don't check every single one now do they?

If anyone has escaped DHL customs, please let me know!

Message 47 of 59
latest reply

@sportygirl52nike wrote:

And ouch...$53CAD and then DHL will probably charge me their handling fees on top of that too.

Would there be any chance that my package won't get checked by customs?  I mean they don't check every single one now do they?

If anyone has escaped DHL customs, please let me know!

If it is coming via DHL, sorry, there is no escape.  There will be import costs and DHL might charge about $15 for the paper processing.  That is why so many people avoid couriers.  They have to add on the import charges because of the $20 Canadian import limit.  It's the law.  They can't decide not to do it.  

The only way to avoid charges are on cheap items sent through the post, because it can cost more to collect the tax than what is taken in.  But couriers always have to do it, DHL, UPS, FedEx, as well as items coming via the GSP.  

And $160 coming through the postal system would most likely be assessed anyway.  Canada Post charges $9.95 to process the paperwork, so only about $5 less than DHL.  

Any time you are considering buying from outside Canada, work out what the charges could be (because you might have to pay) and decide from there.  

Message 48 of 59
latest reply

*sigh* Yeah, in the back of my mind I did know there may be duties & customs when ordering outside of Canada. I just didn't know the seller was going to use DHL, which makes it for sure there would be extra fees.

I was going to ship the package to HK instead and pick it up when I visit next month to evade the fees. But I paid with PayPal and it didn't let me change the shipping address... Do you know if PayPal will let you ship to another address or does it have to be the billing address? Thanks!
Message 49 of 59
latest reply

sportygirl52nike wrote:
I just didn't know the seller was going to use DHL, which makes it for sure there would be extra fees.

Sellers are supposed to be clear about how (what service) they will use to ship the items, for exactly the kinds of reasons you mention. Lots of people would be really mad about that and blame eBay (wrongly of course) and maybe not want to buy here if they feel they can't 'trust the site.  So eBay wants sellers to state what service they use to ship.  

Is there no mention of DHL or 'courier' anywhere in the listing?  

Expensive items coming from Asia almost always come by courier.  Whether they don't trust their own postal system or ours, on an item that pricey just about any Asian seller would have mailed it with a courier anyway, or as I said, Canada Post would still tack on the charges + their $10 for doing it.  

sportygirl52nike wrote:
I was going to ship the package to HK instead and pick it up when I visit next month to evade the fees. But I paid with PayPal and it didn't let me change the shipping address... Do you know if PayPal will let you ship to another address or does it have to be the billing address? Thanks!

You would have to change your eBay and PayPal shipping addresses BEFORE you buy.  Some individual sellers will send your item anywhere you want it to go so long as you state specifically using the eBay Message system what the other address is.  Sellers are not required to mail to anything other than the registered address, but they're not forbidden either.  

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/pay/questions/unconfirmed.html

Message 50 of 59
latest reply

I was going to ship the package to HK instead

What is the duty free limit for Hong Kong? In US dollars?

Canada is only $20 CDN (about $16-17USD). Americans are allowed $800USD.

I believe the Norwegian allowance is pretty close to the Canadian one, because I had a Norwegian customer politely tell me so after I put the true value of his purchase on the customs label.

For other countries? Any one? Bueller? Bueller?

Message 51 of 59
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

I was going to ship the package to HK instead

What is the duty free limit for Hong Kong? In US dollars?

One way to find out.  Looks like none, if this is to be believed, 

https://www.dutycalculator.com/country-guides/Import-duty-taxes-when-importing-into-Hong-Kong/

hong kong.jpg

Message 52 of 59
latest reply

Sorry, I don't know how to quote people's post.  Can you please teach me too?

The posting only said it was Standard International Shipping, so no the seller didn't indicate the Service/Courier they are going to use.

Thank you so much, I guess I will add on my alternate addresses now to ebay and paypal for future purchases.  I was sort of under time constraint when making the transaction. 1 week ago I was trying to buy the item, but got interrupted, and then someone else bought it. 😞 So as soon as I saw it again I bought it.

And that duties & customs calculator works like a charm, exactly what was calculated!  It will for sure be useful to me in the future.

I am re-routing all my foreign packages to HK for now, since there's no additional fees. YAY!

Message 53 of 59
latest reply

I just shipping something from the UK to HK, I will let you know when it is delivered to see if there are any additional charges. it was $100CAD+

Message 54 of 59
latest reply

@sportygirl52nike wrote:

Sorry, I don't know how to quote people's post.  Can you please teach me too?

Quote people's post?  It may be that I have misunderstood, but if you mean quote people's post here in the messages, there is nothing to "teach", you must have simply overlooked the blue "Quote" button when you reply.  It's in the top right corner of the reply box, 

to quote.jpg

Message 55 of 59
latest reply

When you return to Canada from Hong Kong, you will pass through Canada Customs and will be subject to the allowance allowed for your time outside Canada.  If you are going to bring all your purchases back with you at that time, the items could be subject to relevant taxes and/or duties on your return. Here is a link with more information:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/declare-eng.html#_s1

Message 56 of 59
latest reply

@maggiebvintage2010 wrote:

When you return to Canada from Hong Kong, you will pass through Canada Customs and will be subject to the allowance allowed for your time outside Canada.  If you are going to bring all your purchases back with you at that time, the items could be subject to relevant taxes and/or duties on your return. Here is a link with more information:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/declare-eng.html#_s1

Yup, there's like a $750CAD allowance.  It just means I do less shopping in HK to balance it out!

Message 57 of 59
latest reply

I was reading the thread because I had charges incurred by UPS and DHL before for processing the items sent through customs.

If I could, I would altogether always avoid at least those two companies which I thing are using an extortion tactic to make extra money over their millions flowing already.

So here it is.

Understand, laws apply to them and to us.

CBSA : Canada Border Services Agency ... it is the governmental agency mandated to charge and perceive the legal import duty fees. They do so by using a harmonized system where you have codes by category of item and by COUNTRY OF MANUFACTURE.

The country where the shipment is originating is actually not so important... 

The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) sets the rules for international trade and investment between Canada, the United States, and Mexico. Each NAFTA country forgoes tariffs on imported goods “originating” in the other NAFTA countries. Rules of origin enable customs officials to decide which goods qualify for this preferential tariff treatment under NAFTA.

Fight for your rights so these companies change their behaviour.

Legally, only you are allowed and have to pay the import duties and applicable sales taxes appropriate to your region, NOT THE SHIPPING COMPANY

In the consumers protection act in Canada:

54.4 Before a distance contract is entered into, the merchant must disclose the following information to the consumer...

(d)  a detailed description of goods or services that are to be the object of the contract, including characteristics and technical specifications;

(e)  an itemized list of the prices of the goods or services that are to be the object of the contract, including associated costs charged to the consumer and any additional charges payable under an Act;

(f)  a description of any possible additional charges payable to a third party, such as customs duties and brokerage fees, whose amounts cannot reasonably be determined;

The merchant must present the information prominently and in a comprehensible manner and bring it expressly to the consumer’s attention; in the case of a written offer, the merchant must present the information in a manner that ensures that the consumer is able to easily retain it and print it.

58. The contract must be evidenced in writing and indicate:

(f)  the amounts of all duties chargeable under any federal or provincial Act;

158. The contract of sale must be evidenced in writing and indicate:

(e)  the duties chargeable, under a federal or provincial Act;

194. If the consumer cancels the contract before the merchant has begun the performance of his principal obligation, the cancellation is effected without cost or penalty to the consumer.

195. If the consumer cancels the contract after the merchant has begun the performance of his principal obligation, the only sums that the merchant may exact from him are:

(a)  the price of the services rendered, computed on the basis of the hourly, daily or weekly rates stipulated in the contract, and

However, have you been informed clearly and in a contract, in writing, of the service you are paying for before the service was rendered ? Since they want to charge you ?

The short answer is NO. They perform the service as "good will" to speed up the shipping and ask you to pay for it afterwards (and with hold your item on the basis to protect the law)... BS. Total bull**bleep**... Legally I don't think they can withhold your item!!! You already own it, your duty is now to pay the duties as a good citizen... so the government, in good faith, should let this duty to the citizen and forbid these companies of running this scam.

Hence, legally, you can and should refuse to pay and say you will do the duty work on your own. They legally have to provide you all the information and documents to do it and have to keep your item for as long as they do normally if you do not pick it up and written in they're service contract.

The only person who could be held accountable to pay such fees would actually be the SELLER who has signed a contract for using their shipping services in which they could have written that there will be duty handling fees and duty fees to be paid.

You, as the receiver, didn't even have any relation with the shipping company prior to receiving your package and hence cannot be legally charged any fee after rendition of the service, that's why the seller pays the shipping in legal terms (signs the contract)... unless you agree to pay afterwards as an act of good faith/will / gratitude... but I'd refuse to overpay and get ripped off.

Come on, 10-20$ handling fee? Do you really think the shipping company has a guy standing in line to pass at the Bureau with your shipment ? They probably handle this remotely and in batches... A more realistic fee would be for 10 minutes of time and perhaps a few electrons ... max 2$ ... 

So, be sure to have the Countries of manufacture of your shipment, and paid bill displaying the company name / address and the paid amounts (the shipping company has to hand them to you, so ask). If the origin is Mexico or USA, no duties. If the item is under 20$ (as by law, for mail), no duties... 

Bring the paperwork to the CBSA office, in Montreal, not so far from the airport, near pointe claire... last time I went. Be nice. If you can't figure out the country of origin with the officer, say it's from USA or Mexico. 

Message 58 of 59
latest reply

Hey everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 59 of 59
latest reply