Ending eBay Bucks Program in CANADA but not US????

After reviewing the eBay Bucks Rewards Program, we have made the difficult decision to end the Program in Canada. We want to thank you for participating in the Program and being a valued member of our community.

You'll continue to earn eBay Bucks until March 31, and in early April you'll receive your final Certificate, which will expire after 30 days. As a token of our appreciation, we'll add a US$5 bonus to that last Certificate.

Again, thank you—we have appreciated your membership and hope you have found it rewarding. If you have any questions about the eBay Bucks closure in Canada, please feel free to visit our frequently asked questions page.

Sincerely,

eBay Bucks Team

Message 1 of 104
latest reply
103 REPLIES 103

Just got your email about the program ending in Canada, is it ending everywhere? Just in Canada? And why/

Your site doesn’t mention the reason why

Why is the eBay Bucks Rewards Program being discontinued in Canada?
After reviewing the effectiveness of the Program, we made the difficult decision to end it in Canada. We want to thank you for being a part of the Program and hope you have found it rewarding.

Who made the decision? Ebay.ca or Ebay global?

Was it too effective or not effective?

Can you guys be more veg?

Kind of unfair don’t you think, other places will benefit while Canada can suck it. When buying on Ebay, doesn’t matter where you live, so you saying Canada isn’t good enough?

Or the majority of the sales are coming from Canada  and it’s costing Ebay too much in Ebay bucks?

You sure that Ebay.ca isn’t run by the government? We are used to this kind of decimation from our government. (e.g. Lotto Quebec)

The members of Ebay Canada deserve more explantions.

i know this will impact my buying on Ebay, not because it was a fortune but alittle goodie makes the client happy, Now clients in other counties will enjoy the little goodie

Message 41 of 104
latest reply

i think ebay is forging deals with cash back sites like ebates to give out rebates to those who don't shop here often, instead of giving rebates to those who do.

Message 42 of 104
latest reply

Received a reply from "ebaybucksteam@ebay.com", after asking a few specific questions.

It was a form letter stating their "Updates to the eBay User Agreement", nothing addressing my concerns.

ie: "We don't care".

Eat That Canada!!

Message 43 of 104
latest reply

xen999
Community Member

Ok, first was the recent drastic increase of shipping rates to Canada from USPS and now this... In other words everything that was making the use of eBay an attractive mean of buying products wordly is gone. So why am I here again, when I can buy my stuff from other sources? None. Kthxbai.

Message 44 of 104
latest reply

damm, and I just bidded on a Iphone, somebody please outbid me..........

Message 45 of 104
latest reply

mcteague2011
Community Member

For those that have stated frustrations and are looking to go elsewhere has anyone found any sites to buy and sell on that aren't ebay affiliated? I to am looking at going elsewhere as the fees are becoming more and more and now the ebay bucks is gone.

Message 46 of 104
latest reply

They lost me as a seller when they decided to hold funds for casual sellers.

Now it looks like they may lose me as a buyer.

Message 47 of 104
latest reply

I do not like the way eBay Inc has decided to eliminate eBay Bucks for Canadians only.

I don't.

However folks, eBay Bucks is only a reward program, nothing else.

If the Ontario Liquor Board stops giving AirMiles, will buyers stop shopping there?

I think not. 🙂

Rewards are always nice to have.  Do they really and substantially affect how and where people shop on the long term?  I think not.

If you are looking for one of a kind collectible on eBay and the price is $100 and you are happy with that price as it represents good value to you, the loss of $1 or $2 in eBay Buck should not prevent most buyers from completing the transaction.

The 2% difference in exchange rate we have experienced in the last four days is much more relevant and important to buyers purchasing in US$.  And eBay had nothing to do with the change in exchange rate!

Let's try to keep things in perspective.

Message 48 of 104
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to voice your concerns about the Bucks program ending on eBay.ca. Terminating the program in Canada was not an easy decision to make. We reviewed the program's performance in Canada, and it was clear that it wasn't delivering the value to the eBay Community that we had expected or wanted.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 49 of 104
latest reply

xen999
Community Member

"it wasn't delivering the value to the eBay Community that we had expected or wanted"

So instead we will give you nothing. Have a nice day.

Message 50 of 104
latest reply

Admittedly a minor reward,  but let's hear the rationale for eliminating it only in Canada.  Without any replacement incentives to drive buyers.  A vague FAQ doesn't explain this.

Message 51 of 104
latest reply

"If the Ontario Liquor Board stops giving AirMiles, will buyers stop shopping there?"

Well, I don't have an Ontario Liquor Board here, but I shop at IGA only because they offer Air Miles. Yes, the service is good too, but if they stop offering Air Miles tomorrow, I will stop going there every week for my groceries. I will go elsewhere.

With that said, I might not stop buying my collectibles here, that is true, but I will buy MUCH less than what I used to. That is a fact I'm really certain of.

Message 52 of 104
latest reply

"We reviewed the program's performance in Canada, and it was clear that it wasn't delivering the value to the eBay Community that we had expected or wanted."

Thanks Calvin for coming here, but seriously, your answer is just as vague as the FAQ is. How did you review its performance? What did you expect it would deliver to the eBay Community that it didn't? What did you want it to do that it did not? Seriously, you can't be a little more specific? I feel like our opinion doesn't count and eBay just ended it "because". That's an answer a child would give. 😞

Message 53 of 104
latest reply

I think it has to do with a certain Hollywood movie.  "ARGO".  We Canadians did not show the proper gratitude for the producers of ARGO.  We should have applauded the one CIA agent and countless Americans who saved the 6 American embassy employees as dipicted in the flick.  Ken Taylor and his Canadian cohorts who actually saved the Americans lives are truely dipicted in the Canadian made film. 

People of the world and this forum....never use Hollywood films for history lessons.  The truth is skewered beyond recognition.   

Message 54 of 104
latest reply

"Unfair or not eBay is going to do what is best for the bottom line."

Quite honestly, if it was just a reason of doing what is best for their bottom line, they would end it EVERYWHERE, and not just here. It would be the logical thing to do. So why just HERE.

The more I think about it... the more I realise that, if their bottom line is the main reason, then that must be because the program was too popular here and they gave back much more than what they expected.

Of course, it is just speculation, because nobody is giving us a good reason so far...

Message 55 of 104
latest reply

2011koolsale
Community Member

I don't think anything will change...

Just go get a US account...

Not a big deal...

If you really want to hurt them... buy from ebay but use a credit card rather than a paypal account... or any other source of payment....

The power is not in ebay alone... but the paypal service that they offer...

Message 56 of 104
latest reply

xen999
Community Member

"The more I think about it... the more I realise that, if their bottom line is the main reason, then that must be because the program was too popular here and they gave back much more than what they expected."

This is also what I figured the reason was. The program was no longer advantageous and lucrative to THEM. And the only way this could be true is if the program was extremely popular, so mush so that they had to give out a lot more money than they initially thought.

Message 57 of 104
latest reply

oilergirl90
Community Member

"it was clear that it wasn't delivering the value to the eBay Community that we had expected or wanted."

So you got rid of it completely?  Why didn't you (eBay) ask the COMMUNITY how WE felt about the eBay Bucks???

WE are telling you that it DID have value to us.  SOMETHING is better than nothing whatsoever. 

While we appreciate your rely...it's still not telling us anything.

For the US to continue getting eBay Bucks...but Canadians yet again getting shafted...makes us feel that eBay doesn't care about us. 😞

Message 58 of 104
latest reply

@ 2011koolsale

How do you get a US account if you live in Canada? Is that even possible? I really doubt it... but if you know how, please explain. I'm all ears... or eyes 🙂

Message 59 of 104
latest reply

pmbpro
Community Member

I got an email notice earlier in the day. Then when I logged onto my account here, I saw the eBay "message" of the same too.

Message 60 of 104
latest reply