Item not received

Alright, so my item is 2 business days past the delivery date with no word from the seller.  We live in the same province and I received a shipping notification on the date of purchase.  I checked the Canada Post website for any service alerts but everything seems to be running normally.  On Friday, I asked the seller if I could have a tracking number and he responded 3 days later with an apology and a vague assurance that my item would arrive on time without providing the tracking #.  I filed an item not received request when it passed the delivery date but so far have not heard back from the seller.  Is this normal?  Also, how much time should I give him before filing a money back guarantee?

A little background on the seller:

He has been selling on ebay for 4 years with no negative feedback.  However, his 3 neutral feedbacks were all posted in the past 6 months and he has a couple of recent positive feedbacks with customers citing issues that were resolved.  I’m feeling a little anxious as I don’t typically purchase from ebay so any advice from experienced members would be greatly appreciated.   Thanks.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Item not received

Seller issued a refund 5 minutes ago.  The issue has been resolved.  

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Item not received

mcrlmn
Community Member

As you have "filed an item not received request", you don't need to do anything.

eBay will refund the transaction in full, from the seller's account, if the seller doesn't do so before the designated time allotted.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Item not received

Your seller may have been slightly behind schedule in getting your package to post office or Canadapost dropped the ball with either the scans or a sort. Hey, it happens. Another thing that may have happened is seller chose regular vs expedited at the post office. Same price but different speed/handling. Voiding is a major hassle. Seller may have send it on its way as is and was a little embarrassed. (Possible reason for no confirmation) I've had packages going from Calgary to Edmonton overnight or take 3 to 4 days. Unfortunately once it gets in the hands of Canadapost its out of the sellers hands. Was the item required priority fast? Is it a major hardship if it arrives but its a few days late? Your call to make on if or if not to file a claim. Politely ask seller to confirm tracking and service. And keep your seller posted if you're not seeing any updates or delivery. Only they can start trace process and due to volumes past experience items is delivered before they get back to you.  Never hurts to give a seller the benefit of the doubt. Hope that gives a few things to consider before deciding on a course of action.

-CM

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Item not received

Hi, thanks for your response.  I received a shipping confirmation 3 hours after purchase so I don’t think he was behind schedule.  His ad description said he ships the same day and that influenced my decision to purchase from him.  When I politely asked for tracking, he apologized for the late response by telling me that he was away on a fishing trip with no cell reception.  He told me that he had briefly returned home to retrieve some fishing supplies and that he would check on my item the next day.  It’s been 3 days and I haven’t heard back from him since.  I am willing to give the benefit of doubt.  It is summer after all and my family is currently visiting from out of town.  That’s why I was hoping to get the item before they leave but it looks like I miscalculated.  

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Item not received

Sorry I should clarify.  When I filed the item not received request, I was presented with 2 options: request refund or request item.  I chose to request the item.  Does Ebay still refund the buyer automatically after the allotted time expires even if they didn’t choose refund as the primary request?  

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Item not received

Seller issued a refund 5 minutes ago.  The issue has been resolved.  

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Item not received

Of course you did.
That's typically what happens when you open an item not received request/claim.

You're welcome.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Item not received

Just to clarify, ebay does not automatically provide a refund when the 3 business day wait is up. If the seller hasn't refunded by then and the buyer is not willing to wait any longer, the buyer has to then ask ebay to step in.

Out of curiosity, when was your estimated arrival date?  Opening a claim just two days after the estimated date seems fast to me although if you were both in the same province and the item was paid for a couple of weeks before that, I can understand why you would want to open one then.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Item not received

I received a shipping confirmation 3 hours after purchase so I don’t think he was behind schedule. 

There are two 'confirmations'.

One confirms the purchase of a label. If that happened on Friday evening, it might not go into the mailstream until Monday morning.

The other is the PO acceptance, which is the real tracker.

But if he bought the label online there should be a tracking number on any confirmation you got.

I realize this is all  after the fact, but others may read it and need similar information.

BTW, if you 'win ' a Dispute and then the item arrives, you can return the refund using Paypal's Send Money service.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Item not received

Thanks for the reply guys.  The item arrived tonight and the seller has been refunded.  

Message 10 of 10
latest reply