Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

Hi all,

I filed for resolution yesterday evening and got it very quickly. Paypal/ebay investigated and responded back that the global shipper has lost the package after it was received at the Kentucky location. Hence they have awarded the claim to me for both the item plus shipping cost. Its unfortunate that this had to happen as I was really looking forward to play around with the Nikon manual slr film camera!

Thanks for everyone's inputs and Ben's offer to help!

Thanks again!

Message 121 of 3,104
latest reply

I would appreciate it if eBay would STOP USING the PITNEY BOWES GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM Completely and Entirely and revert back to the old ways of doing things where sellers and buyers are in control.

There has been many listings that I would have normally already bought but haven't because of the global shipping program. its irritating to ask every seller who uses the program to NOT USE IT if you BUY from them.

Message 122 of 3,104
latest reply

111111.png

hi, i bought goods. my parcel is something wrong. i live in vancouver.  when i was check Global tracking number, parcel already arrived to ERLANGER, KY 41018 and Shipping finished. i tried to wait to recieving other answer. but i couldn't recive any answer from ebay global tracking. who is know this problem?

Message 123 of 3,104
latest reply

All global shipping goes to Kentucky and is then reshipped

to the buyers address.

Message 124 of 3,104
latest reply

But why did the item go from Etobicoke, On back to Erlanger, KY, where it had already been?

Message 125 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi jmck667. 

Here is some info for you. With hopefully more to come. 

In answer to your questions:

1) A shipping calculator for GSP items. As you noted there are estimated costs on the listing but as far as a way to get a more accurate estimate when the sale price is not known ... good question. I will reach out to some eBay team-members on this one and post back.

2) The ability to combine items comes up a lot, and has been suggested by a number of Community members. I will make sure that this remains in the "suggested improvements" list (and yes, believe it or not, we do keep track of such things)

3) I'll give you a couple links here, explaining when and why parcels might get opened. From what I understand if items are packed carefully and the stated guidelines are followed a parcel will not be opened/repackaged. 

Links:

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/shipping/globalshippingprogram/update_faqs.html#shipping-cen...

http://blogs.pb.com/ecommerce/2013/07/17/global-shipping-program-faqs/

Hope this helps.

---Ben

Message 126 of 3,104
latest reply

its irritating to ask every seller who uses the program to NOT USE IT if you BUY from them.

As many people as possible doing this is probably the only way the average ebay user will have any useful effect on this scheme.

Most sellers don't want to alienate people who might buy. Many don't know they are doing it or what is involved for the buyer. They simply never see the things the buyer sees.

Message 127 of 3,104
latest reply

i can't understand this gsp system.
Message 128 of 3,104
latest reply

zoozig
Community Member

Hi, these days I am more often a buyer, not a seller. I notice more and more sellers quoting Customs processing charges. What is that all about? I contacted one of the sellers and he was confused, saying he does not charge any customs processing fees and cant see any when looking at his posting.

Who is puting that charge and ammount into the posting?

Is the ammount quoted an estimate that I may be required to pay or will I be charged that ammount at checkout or what is this all about?

So far I have avoided  and will avoid listings that show this charge as it is not required as Canada Customs charges the taxes and fees at entry of the package into Canada and I pay at the time of pick up at the post office.

Thanks in advance for answering my questions Zoozig.

Message 129 of 3,104
latest reply

It really does help to read stuff already written on the boards, as it often answers all questions.

Message 130 of 3,104
latest reply

Have you asked at your local post office or postal outlet if the parcel is there?

Never put down to conspiracy what can be explained by incompetence.

Message 131 of 3,104
latest reply

With Canada and the US as part of NAFTA, there are no import duties for items purchased. Why would I be charged this when I know after talking to Customs Canada no charge should be made?

Message 132 of 3,104
latest reply

How to avoid a seller with this gsp?

Message 133 of 3,104
latest reply

Search LIST VIEW, avoid the ones with the words "Customs services and international tracking provided"

Simple.

Message 134 of 3,104
latest reply

There is no duty on items MANUFACTURED in NAFTA signatory countries. Which includes the USA, Canada, Mexico and Chile.

Canada has free trade agreements with several other countries too, and is currently negotiating with the European Union.

But the word is MANUFACTURED, not imported.

If you buy an iPod, made in Chna, from a US seller, duty is applicable.

Even if the item were not dutiable, Canadian sales taxes will be collected on imports over $20 along with a service fee to the shipper.

For example.

The purchase price is $18.95. No duty or tax is applicable. (But the GSP still seems to collect a service fee for determining that. Other shippers don't)

The purchase price is $21.00 and the item was made in Mexico and purchased in the USA. Both are NAFTA countries and no duty is applicable. The importer will pay applicable sales tax ( as much as $3.15 in some provinces) and the shipper's service fee.(Between $5 for GSP and $20+ for UPS and other couriers.)

The purchase price is $21 and the item was made in China and purchased in the USA. China and Canada do not have a free trade agreement. The item is dutiable (which varies all over the map ), taxable, and again, the shipper will charge a fee.

Message 135 of 3,104
latest reply

bsqu3384
Community Member

I bought an item and when it was shipped to me, it was damaged. It appeared to be shipped safely  but when opened, small parts broken. When contacting the seller, I was told they used ebay shipping so basically it is their problem. As a newer buyer, Im not sure what to do. Who's fault it is and what can I do? I mean I paid for something that has come broken and have no chance to fix it myself. Any ideas would help.

Thanks,

Message 136 of 3,104
latest reply

Open an Item Not as Described Dispute

What to do if you don't receive an item or it doesn't match the seller's description

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/item-not-received.html

Message 137 of 3,104
latest reply

@bsqu3384 wrote:

When contacting the seller, I was told they used ebay shipping so basically it is their problem. 

By "eBay Shipping" does the seller mean that the item was sold through the Global Shipping Program?  (That information should be near the top of the listing page.

If this is the case, the GSP should take responsibility for the damage, although I don't agree with the seller's attitude that it makes it solely "their problem."  After all, the seller elected to use the Global Shipping Program rather than ship the item directly to you.

Message 138 of 3,104
latest reply

"I bought an item..."

What was the item?  The Titanic?

Message 139 of 3,104
latest reply

The seller is responsible for getting the purchase to the buyer promptly (within 45 days) and securely.

Most sellers sub-contract to the Post Office or a courier like Pitney Bowes (Global Shipping Program) but the responsibility remains with the seller.

Open the case.

http://resolutioncenter.ebay.ca/

The seller can refund voluntarily. You will be required to return the item to the seller with Delivery Confirmation. Once eBay can see electronically that the seller has the item back, you will be refunded the entire amount you paid.

Not exactly off -topic, but not particularly important to the OP

There are unclear details about this process.

Since the seller never saw the duty, tax and PB fees, who refunds those? Does the buyer have to go after CBSA for the duty and tax on the returned import?

This is the captain: we have a little problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence, then explode.-- Mal Reynolds.

Message 140 of 3,104
latest reply