Seller

I bought the laptop from this seller. He sent me a wrong one, let alone it was defective, he didn't take the item back, sent for repair for 2-3 months and now it's back but I was forced to buy a new laptop for my school. He doesn't accept return and he is very dishonest.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Seller

The laptop you received was not the one you ordered.

Did you open a  Not As Described dispute in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page?

If you did , the seller was required to send you return shipping, and when he has it back, to refund you in full.

sent for repair for 2-3 months and now it's back

Who sent it for repair?

If it was you, you voluntarily gave up your rights under the Money Back Guarantee.

If it was the seller, and he returned a working laptop, I think eBay would consider the matter closed.

Note that you only have 30 days from delivery to open an eBay Dispute.

However.

You have 180 days from Payment to open a Dispute through Paypal.

The PP Resolution Centre is at the top of your PP account page under Tools.

You can open a PP dispute even if you have lost an eBay dispute or even if you never opened an eBay dispute.

Paypal will demand that you return the laptop to the seller with tracking.

If he is not in Canada this will be expensive.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

When the tracking shows the laptop is back with the seller, you will be refunded your original payment, but not the return shipping cost.

You can also try asking the credit card you back your Paypal account with about a chargeback. Card policies differ.

Sellers are allowed to refuse returns, but they are not allowed to refuse refunds.

But eBay and Paypal cannot protect you if you don't ask for their help.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Seller

Hello @femmefan1946 ,

Do you know if the Paypal also covers issues with seller and defective mobile devices?

I purchased a mobile device from a seller, 4.5 months ago. The phone started freezing and restarting after a month into use. 4.5 months later the phone died completely. I tried to contact the seller thru the order confirmation in my email box but it took me to a page where it said the seller did not exist. The seller had confirmed that there was a one year warranty. I started researching some more and have found the seller under a different name. I have contacted them through eBay asking them about the warranty, the name change and why I had not received any warranty documents listing the warranty information and they responded to me via my personal email not thru eBay messaging- saying they can not do anything, but I can post them the phone and they can take a look and give me a quote to fix it.

I have contacted PayPal asking them about my rights as their customer as I have literally been sold garbage.. I had the phone since end of Feb and now its dead. 

Do you have any suggestions on how to move forward - to try to get my money back or at least a portion of it as now I need to buy a new phone..

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Seller

If you bought it with Paypal as the payment processor you are covered by their Buyer Protection Program.

The PP Resolution Centre is at the top of your PP account page under Tools.

You have contacted the seller so just go right to Escalating to a Claim.

I have a doctor's appt. and have to go now.

Later

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Seller

Warranties are generally covered by the manufacturer rather than a retailer so you might try contacting the manufacturer. However, if the seller was not an authorized dealer fir that product, the manufacturer may not cover it.

You may have luck with PayPal or your credit card if that’s how you paid but PP and eBay protections are generally for when you receive a product that isn’t as described rather than being a warranty but it doesn’t hurt to try.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Seller

The phone started freezing and restarting after a month into use.

That would have been after eBay's Money Back Guarantee, which is for 30 days from delivery.

The seller had confirmed that there was a one year warranty.

Most guarantees are from manufacturers, and those will not stand behind a guarantee unless the retailer is an approved retailer. Most online/secondhand retailer are not.

If the eBay seller was a company that normally sells refurbished phones, like Best Buy or Simply Computing, they would have their own guarantee and would stand behind it.

But a guy fixing phones in his basement? Unlikely.

And that he changed his account-- even more unlikely.*

If you buy it online, whatever "it" is, there is no guarantee.

The cake is a lie.

saying they can not do anything, but I can post them the phone and they can take a look and give me a quote to fix it.

Yeah, no.

Better to deal with someone local who will actually stand behind their repairs.

I have contacted PayPal asking them about my rights as their customer

By 'contact' do you mean you have opened a Dispute for Not as Described in the PP Resolution Centre which you found under Tools at the top of the PP page?

You only have 180 days to the second from payment to do this.

Don't deal with human beings on this. You want the robotic Dispute system

If the seller wants the phone back, PP will tell you to returnit to them and you pay the return tracked postage.

That's the tradeoff for the longer Dispute period.

When tracking shows the phone has been delivered, you will be refunded.

No repairs. It's a lemon and they don't seem capable of fixing it anyway.

Refund.

Which takes seconds and which does NOT require you to close the Dispute.

*Sellers do change their names from time to time, but it sounds as if you found an entirely new account for your seller. Was the original account Not A Registered User? or just abandoned, perhaps after too many negative feedback?

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Seller

@reallynicestamps

Thanks for the information. Super helpful. I have opened a dispute now with Paypal. It says a message has been sent to the seller and I sold wait for the seller to respond. If there is no resolution with them directly, (which I don't think there will be) then I should escalate within 20 days?
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Seller

Yes, as soon as possible.

Get the money.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Seller

udikaus-0
Community Member
you can open Described dispute case for seller!
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Seller

I received an email today from Paypal regarding the case being closed in favour of the seller. Is there anything I can do? I'm disappointed that sellers can get away with selling faulty items.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply