EBay will pay dividends to shareholders!

EBay to Pay Its First-Ever Dividend

EBay Inc. ( EBAY

Loading...Loading...    

) said Tuesday it would pay a 14-cent dividend in March, its first ever, as the company faces pressure from hedge-fund investors to improve shareholder returns.

The dividend, which is set to be paid on March 20, is part of a broader capital-return plan the company announced. It also added $4 billion to its buyback program. Its authorization was $3.2 billion at Dec. 31.

Overall, the company said it would return about $7 billion to shareholders through dividends and buybacks over the next two years, with $5.5 billion of that happening this year.

The company said it plans to exit 2019 with cash and investment at roughly $3.5 billion. At the end of 2018, the company said its cash, equivalents and nonequity investments portfolio totaled $8.6 billion.

The Wall Street Journal reported last week that hedge-fund investors Elliott Management Corp. and Starboard Value LP have taken stakes in the company and are pushing it to offload its StubHub ticketing and classified-ads businesses.

Additionally, Elliott had said in a letter to eBay's ( EBAY

) board that the company could sustain a modest dividend, especially given that it was the slowest-growing technology company of its size without a dividend. It also called on the company to accelerate share buybacks.

For the fourth quarter, the online marketplace posted a profit of $760 million, or 80 cents a share, compared with a loss of $2.6 billion, or $2.51 a share, a year ago.

Excluding one-time items, the San Jose, Calif.-based company earned a profit of 71 cents a share, up from 59 cents the same period a year ago. Analysts polled by FactSet were expecting earnings of 89 cents a share, or 68 cents a share on an adjusted basis.

Total sales rose 6% to $2.88 billion from $2.71 billion a year earlier. Analysts had expected $2.86 billion of revenue for the quarter. StubHub revenue increased 2% from last year to $314 million. The company said that its number of active buyers grew by 4% across its platforms during the fourth quarter.

For the full-year 2019, the company said it expects adjusted earnings between $2.62 and $2.68 per share and between $10.7 billion and $10.9 billion in revenue.

Shares of eBay ( EBAY

) rose nearly 2.8% during after-hours trading.

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

EBay will pay dividends to shareholders!

https://eresearch.fidelity.com/eresearch/evaluate/news/basicNewsStory.jhtml?symbols=EBAY&storyid=201...

I made some money in the days of the internet bubble, selling eBay shares every time it split.

But my very conservative investment policy has been to buy shares in companies whose products I understand and use, and which pay out profits as dividends.

I agree with Warren Buffet that if a shareholder can only make money by buying low and selling high, that shareholder will not care about the health of the business .

Message 2 of 2
latest reply