September 19th 2018 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Howdy everyone -

I am back and catching up on emails and the news I've missed for the last 4 weeks. Opening up the chat for your questions, and I will address them tomorrow.

Glad to be back!

Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Hi Tyler!

Welcome back, we missed you.

I’m unhappy about a case of Returns Fraud that happened to me recently. I’m in the process of appealing this and will open a police report as directed on the weekend but maybe you can help me understand the reason that eBay doesn’t care I received back an open, damaged, incomplete order (or a different item entirely from the one that was sent to them) from the buyer AND lost my case.

Thanks,
Maureen

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/What-happens-when-a-buyer-sends-back-something-you-didn-...
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Hello Tyler and welcome back

I was waiting for you to come back and to get clear eBay from this scam sellers .

I had a test buy and prove that the sellers are misrepresent items,location etc.

But after a month i reported them they are happy selling here on eBay .ca platform .

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Scammer-sellers-on-ebay/m-p/407389#M96493

Im ready to provide you with all the documentation and proof .

Also messages that they tried to bribe me in away and asking me after all to leave them a 5 star feedback .

Your help will be greatly appreciate 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Im so sorry to hear that you had such an awful situation .Unfortunately happened often .I learned that even if I fight eBay will take my money anyway .So I just refund them .I had situation like this just week ago from California .I just give them the refund and didnt bother myself .My listings from almost 900 went down to 500. Guess why .Customer service do not care for honest sellers they get their fees anyway .I will wait the day that the CS be back in North America .

By the way its been a month Im waiting for callback from  manager for fraudulent sellers guess i never get one and will not get one .They cover themselves well .There is hard to get from them email confirmation of what you talk with them so you could have a proof .Hope that Tyler @eBay 

will help to clear all this mess . 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Hello Tyler, Welcome back. Place wasn't the same without you!! Just a suggestion please. Would it be possible to update the following link International buyers see when checking delivery times etc from Canadian Sellers. No where in the text does it mention that there is the possibility of a delay due to customs. Was this/has this been just an oversight? Buyers need to understand this is always a possibility and something a seller has limited control of.

https://www.ebay.ca/pages/help/buy/contextual/estimated-delivery.html

Estimated delivery date

The estimated delivery date is based on the seller's handling time, the shipping service selected, and when the seller receives cleared payment. In certain cases, the estimated delivery date will vary. By knowing the estimated delivery date, you can determine how long it will take to receive your item.

Handling time

Sellers are required to specify how long they will take to package and ship the item after receiving cleared payment. Sellers may select a handling time between same business day and 30 business days.

Shipping services

Some shipping services provide an estimate for the number of days that it will take the carrier to deliver the item to the buyer. This transit time does not include the seller's handling time. Transit time includes normal weekdays. Often(???) Saturdays, Sundays, and major holidays are not included in transit time estimates.

Cleared payment

A payment is considered "cleared" after your payment has been deposited into the seller's account. If you pay using PayPal, the payment may clear immediately. However if you pay by cheque, money order, or eCheque, your payment may take several days to clear.

Thanks,

CM

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Tyler, could you confirm trinton@ebay's statement that every GSP parcel is opened and inspected?

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Global-shipping-and-SNAD-returns/m-p/28983718#M1288337

The thread raises several questions about Disputes when GSP is involved but is from the perspective of US sellers.

We are more interested as Canadian buyers.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Hi @momcqueen

Oh well that's new and definitely not the way it should be. I'll get the tagging issue reported to Lithium.

When it comes to your return, that's incredibly frustrating. I'm happy to get you some clarification on the eBay perspective. We do care that you received an item back that was in a different condition, and was not disclosed by the buyer. Reporting the buyer via the return will send their account to be reviewed by the Buyer Abuse team, who take action on accounts with trends of bad behaviors.

When it comes to a return itself: if you offer returns we expect you to honor them (even if you get it back in a different condition) and work out the differences with us directly. So from what your thread outlines it sounds as though it followed process: we enforced the return and refund, and are working with you now privately to make you whole. The police report seems a bit much (usually we ask for that in a higher dollar amount situation), so I'll take a peek at the back end and see what's happening. 

To talk hypothetically: if you had offered free returns on this item the flow would be different. You'd be able to deduct up to 50% off the refund in the return flow itself without having to involve us. If the buyer wanted to appeal the less than full refund they would take it up with us directly and we would work with them privately to resolve their concern (without involving you).

A return like this is frustrating and as you  mentioned, a small percentage of transactions. Hoping that this one sets you up for another 6 year stretch without any others!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@fashionoutletdeal wrote:

Hello Tyler and welcome back

I was waiting for you to come back and to get clear eBay from this scam sellers .

I had a test buy and prove that the sellers are misrepresent items,location etc.

But after a month i reported them they are happy selling here on eBay .ca platform .

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Scammer-sellers-on-ebay/m-p/407389#M96493

Im ready to provide you with all the documentation and proof .

Also messages that they tried to bribe me in away and asking me after all to leave them a 5 star feedback .

Your help will be greatly appreciate 

Hi @fashionoutletdeal

Thanks for the link to this thread - it's definitely frustrating to come across members who aren't following stated policy.

From a transaction perspective, you have the ability to open a return on these types of items. We would expect the seller to accept them and provide return shipping to the country location stated within their listing. Return rates will be recorded on their seller performance and impact their standing with us.

From a larger perspective, we'll take action on sellers when the item location specified in their listings doesn't match the shipment point of origin registered in the tracking information that they provided us. Repeat offenders can incur consequences up to a 30-day selling restriction.

Holding a refund or return 'hostage' in exchange for positive feedback is in direct violation of the feedback extortion policy and is something I would strongly suggest you report to Customer Support so they can take direct action on the members involved.

I realize that you have frustrations with CS, but in these types of situations they are the best venue to get this addressed.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Hello Tyler, Welcome back. Place wasn't the same without you!! Just a suggestion please. Would it be possible to update the following link International buyers see when checking delivery times etc from Canadian Sellers. No where in the text does it mention that there is the possibility of a delay due to customs. Was this/has this been just an oversight? Buyers need to understand this is always a possibility and something a seller has limited control of.

https://www.ebay.ca/pages/help/buy/contextual/estimated-delivery.html

Estimated delivery date

The estimated delivery date is based on the seller's handling time, the shipping service selected, and when the seller receives cleared payment. In certain cases, the estimated delivery date will vary. By knowing the estimated delivery date, you can determine how long it will take to receive your item.

Handling time

Sellers are required to specify how long they will take to package and ship the item after receiving cleared payment. Sellers may select a handling time between same business day and 30 business days.

Shipping services

Some shipping services provide an estimate for the number of days that it will take the carrier to deliver the item to the buyer. This transit time does not include the seller's handling time. Transit time includes normal weekdays. Often(???) Saturdays, Sundays, and major holidays are not included in transit time estimates.

Cleared payment

A payment is considered "cleared" after your payment has been deposited into the seller's account. If you pay using PayPal, the payment may clear immediately. However if you pay by cheque, money order, or eCheque, your payment may take several days to clear.

Thanks,

CM

Howdy @#{login}

It's nice to be back (though I won't lie, if I could just stay in Algonquin Park forever I'd be alright with it stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes)

This is an interesting call out - I'm not certain if it was an oversight or intentional. I do notice that from the View Item Page the question pop-up does advise that delivery times may vary, but I think that something more specific could help buyers looking for information. The trick is, as we all know, in getting them to read it. 

As I'm sure you know, you're protected from item not received claims and feedback related to customs delays, as they are always considered the responsibility of the buyer. Just wanted to get that out there for anyone else who may not be aware.

I'll get this suggested as a content change, thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Tyler, could you confirm trinton@ebay's statement that every GSP parcel is opened and inspected?

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Global-shipping-and-SNAD-returns/m-p/28983718#M1288337

The thread raises several questions about Disputes when GSP is involved but is from the perspective of US sellers.

We are more interested as Canadian buyers.

Hi @femmefan1946

The information Trinton provided is accurate: our agreement with the shipping partner is that packages will be validated to ensure it can be sent internationally. If an item cannot be shipped internationally it is either returned to the seller or retained and destroyed/liquidated (depending on the specific reason, in cases of severe damage or hazardous material).

If an item arrives damaged, the buyer would use the regular process to open a return. We would work with the seller directly to resolve the issue. For example, if it is an item that has been damaged in transit we would ask the seller to accept the return, but the refund itself and return shipping would be issued by the Shipping Partner.

In all cases a return would not be sent back to GSP - it would be sent to the seller directly. Return shipping costs would be handled by the seller's return policy or appropriate Money Back Guarantee rule.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 10
latest reply