6 eBay Executives And Employees Charged With Threatening Natick Couple

21 REPLIES 21

Warning.  Disturbing content. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h80a_jU0QOk

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

I would be assuming that AuctionBytes is the website targetted.

And it will be interesting to see if this was  a rogue group (who have apparently all been fired) or if they had instructions from higher up.

In spite of the speaker's defense of policing in the last few moments, one of the defendants was a retired police officer, and most of the investigation was done by desk work not in a tank with a machine gun and armoured vest.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

I would be assuming that AuctionBytes is the website targeted.

All roads seem to lead to them, yes. 

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member
U.S. Attorney Andrew Lelling's news conference explaining the lengthy and disgusting details of charging 6 eBay executives and employees with conspiracy to commit cyberstalking and conspiracy to tamper with witnesses.
In retrospect, I find Mr. Sweetnam's attempt wholly inadequate and insulting.

I have to ask, what kind of environment contributed to so many ranking employees feeling so  empowered and entitled to conduct such a lengthy, horrendous, and disgusting campaign using eBay resources?

James Baugh, eBay’s former Senior Director of Safety & Security, was arrested today and charged by criminal complaint with conspiracy to commit cyberstalking and conspiracy to tamper with witnesses.

David Harville,  eBay’s former Director of Global Resiliency, was arrested this morning in New York City on the same charges.

Stephanie Popp, eBay’s former Senior Manager of Global Intelligence.
Stephanie Stockwell, former manager of eBay’s Global Intelligence Center (GIC).
Veronica Zea,  a former eBay contractor who worked as an intelligence analyst in the GIC.
Brian Gilbert, a former Senior Manager of Special Operations for eBay’s Global Security Team.

They are each charged with conspiracy to commit cyberstalking and conspiracy to tamper with witnesses.

I'm disgusted.
Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Follow up media question period with the US Attorney regarding the ongoing investigation:

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Ongoing investigation...
According to the affidavit, at least two additional executives had encouraged the attacks.
eBay has confirmed that one was eBay’s then-CEO Devin Wenig.
Texts show Wenig communicating with a second unnamed executive about the newsletter’s editor, saying that “I couldn’t care less what she says,” and seconds later adding, “take her down.”
He repeated the comment in another message: “If you are ever going to take her down... now is the time.”

The second, unnamed executive had a consulting firm draw up a plan for “reducing impact” from the newsletter through methods like search engine optimization, but they also got in touch with Baugh, who offered a “plan B” from his team.
“Wenig said to burn her to the ground correct?” said Baugh. “She is biased troll who needs to get BURNED DOWN,” responded the executive.
The executive then promised to “embrace managing any bad fallout” from the unspecified plan.
“We need to STOP her,” they continued.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Beyond disgusting. Ebay needs to seriously reexamine it's adversarial relationship with it's customers and the public in general.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

At least now we have some clarity regarding our fees and how some are spent.
I'd like to also send a big THANKS to the powers that be, for the great PR.
A job well done.

PS
Please don't send me any emails, critters, or other gross stuff.

Also, I haven't driven my car in 2 weeks.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Ongoing investigation...
According to the affidavit, at least two additional executives had encouraged the attacks.
eBay has confirmed that one was eBay’s then-CEO Devin Wenig.
Texts show Wenig communicating with a second unnamed executive about the newsletter’s editor, saying that “I couldn’t care less what she says,” and seconds later adding, “take her down.”
He repeated the comment in another message: “If you are ever going to take her down... now is the time.”

The second, unnamed executive had a consulting firm draw up a plan for “reducing impact” from the newsletter through methods like search engine optimization, but they also got in touch with Baugh, who offered a “plan B” from his team.
“Wenig said to burn her to the ground correct?” said Baugh. “She is biased troll who needs to get BURNED DOWN,” responded the executive.
The executive then promised to “embrace managing any bad fallout” from the unspecified plan.
“We need to STOP her,” they continued.

Un(dirtyword)believable

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Sadly-- all too believable.

AuctionBytes is not my favourite unbiased reporter, but their biases are not hidden and they do cast a beady eye on the antics of other online venues.

I might not agree with their interpretations, but they don't seem to make up their facts.

If Wenig is the source of the harrassment, I really hope AB sues Wenig personally for -- how much was his lovely parting gift anyway?

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

In 2019 Devin Wenig received a 215% increase in total compensation compared to 2018.
Yep, he landed on his feet and is now on General Motor's board.
Message 13 of 22
latest reply

I came here after hearing about it in the news thinking it had to be that site too. I couldn't recall the name offhand but obviously we see links to it every so often when they cover something happening in the ebay world. Insane that such a relatively small no-frills operation could end up in the crosshairs of the execs at the very top.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

...and eBay wants to "Manage" my payments and want us to give more private information before they share ALL the information about Managed Payments.

Yes and now this, we always knew eBay was a gang of "bullies" towards those that ??? them, now we have the prove.

Just like Walmart, it's Shopify for me in the future...

Message 15 of 22
latest reply

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Well, eBay wanted to be in the news, it is the NEWS!

Sick Sick Sick

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

What I find ironic and puzzling is that an eBay rep posts a little announcement regarding the issue and blabs about how they need to change yada yada and that you dear listener are part of this non existent change, your voice will be heard. But the post is closed to comments.

So I guess business as usual? Casual Friday still on?
Message 18 of 22
latest reply

What dirtbags.

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

ZOMBIE POST FROM 2020

The problem with zombie posts is that the information and advice may be out of date or no longer valid.

In this case, there were resignations, firings and  jail sentences.

Message 20 of 22
latest reply