Fear and Loathing- GTC edition

I ran across this in today's reading:

He believed that consumers are torn between two opposing forces: neophilia, a curiosity about new things; and neophobia, a fear of anything too new. As a result, they gravitate to products that are bold, but instantly comprehensible. Loewy called his grand theory “Most Advanced Yet Acceptable”—maya. He said to sell something surprising, make it familiar; and to sell something familiar, make it surprising.

Comments?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

So true.

This makes me think of "The Problem of the Match."  
This is a principle for teaching chilean but it's the same idea.

The concept is that to teach new ideas it's best to present material that is just a step beyond what's already known.

Presenting ideas that are just a step above what's known gives the new material something to grasp onto while presenting ideas beyond that will be lost to the student/child.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

I ran across this in today's reading:

He believed that consumers are torn between two opposing forces: neophilia, a curiosity about new things; and neophobia, a fear of anything too new. As a result, they gravitate to products that are bold, but instantly comprehensible. Loewy called his grand theory “Most Advanced Yet Acceptable”—maya. He said to sell something surprising, make it familiar; and to sell something familiar, make it surprising.

Comments?

Who is "he"?

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@kawartha-ephemera wrote:
Who is "he"?

As a guess ...

Raymond Loewy (okay I googled) Smiley Wink

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/01/what-makes-things-cool/508772/

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Very interesting article. Thanks for the link.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Oh darn.

I meant to include the link to the whole article, in I believe, The Atlantic.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Message 7 of 7
latest reply