GST/HST/PST and INCOME TAX for eBay Sellers

If you sell your own used personal items on eBay (and elsewhere) this thread is not for you. Sales of used personal items are generally not taxable.

Here is a quick summary of taxation rules in Canada as they apply to sellers who purchase goods for resale. It does not really matter if you sell online or through a brick and mortar store or both. Since you are in fact running a business (buying and reselling for the purpose of making a profit) your activities are subject to taxation.

Unless you have strong bookkeeping skills and knowledge of taxation laws, I strongly recommend you hire a competent accountant familiar with your personal circumstances – preferably one with experience in mail order business - to assist you in setting up your books properly and arrange registration with the tax authorities if required.

GST/HST/PST

If your annual worldwide business revenues (including shipping charges) exceed Cdn$30,000, you must, by law, register with GST/HST. For the purpose of registration, it does not matter if most of your sales are shipped outside Canada.

Start learning about it here: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/gst-tps/menu-eng.html

After you have read the information in that link, please read again. It is important to understand the concept and its applications.

Once registered with GST/HST, you must remit the tax (GST or HST) based on the province of residence of the buyer, regardless of where you are located in Canada. For example, if you ship to a buyer in Ontario, you will have to remit 13% HST of the transaction value. If your buyer is located in Alberta or Manitoba (for example), you need to remit 5% GST since Alberta and Manitoba are not HST provinces.

Whether you actually charge the GST/HST or absorb it is up to you. Many GST/HST registered online sellers absorb the tax to remain competitive with the majority of sellers who are not GST/HST registered. In any case, the tax must be remitted. To be candid, that is all the government cares about: getting the tax from you. They do not care if you collect it or not!

If you decide to charge GST/HST to your Canadian eBay buyers, in fairness, I strongly suggest you clearly state that fact in your listings. Most Canadian buyers expect their purchases from Canadian sellers on eBay to be tax free and some will even post negative feedback when charged tax unexpectedly.

While you are obligated to remit GST/HST payable, you also get the benefit of receiving Input Tax Credits (ITCs) on the tax you have paid at time of purchasing your inventory or when paying for the many services and expenses related to your business. ITCs are credited to you regardless where the goods are eventually shipped.

NO GST/HST should be charged or needs to be remitted for goods exported from Canada.

As far as PST is concerned, provinces that are not HST provinces have different rules and you should consult the tax authorities of your province (BC, SK, MB, QC) to understand your liabilities and responsibilities.

INCOME TAX

That is pretty simple. All Canadians are required to report their net business income (profit) and add it to other income (employment, pension, investment, etc…) to eventually arrive to taxable income.

There is no minimum, no exception, no exemption. All net profit must be reported starting from the first dollar.

To calculate your net profit, add up your revenues (sales, handling and shipping charges) for worldwide proceeds and deduct your cost of goods sold and business related expenses.

All amounts must be calculated in Canadian dollars. If you purchase and resell in a foreign currency (US$ or others) you need to convert those amounts to Canadian dollars prior to presentation on your Profit and Loss Statement.

If you are GST/HST registered, the tax charged or paid should not be included in your numbers, if you are not GST/HST registered, then the tax paid should be included in your purchases and expenses.

Only the net profit is added to your other income on your tax return (line 135).

For the benefit of online sellers, I prepared this sample Profit and Loss Statement a few years ago, Feel free to use it and/or modify it to your specific needs:

http://www.pierrelebel.com/lists/P&L-sample.htm

CRA provides similar forms for your convenience:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t2125/README.html

If you have any questions on the subject, please post them here, on this thread.

Message 1 of 130
latest reply
129 REPLIES 129

" Then you will eat the tax as well."

That is correct.  If a buyer claims a $10 items was not received and eBay accepts the buyer's claim, you still have to pay eBay fees of $1.00 on that transaction plus $0.05 in tax (GST applicable in AB).

Message 101 of 130
latest reply

Buyer buys 10 items and pays shipping 10 times (because Ebay wants payment now). Ebay does not refund that so if you do, you eat the FVF's on shipping and now the tax as well!

As I said, others have phoned ebay and been credited fvf. If you have tried once and weren't able to get credit, perhaps try again next time....the results may vary with a different rep.

If I am correct, and there is an INAD and you fight and lose, Ebay does not refund any fees. (correct me on this one if I am wrong) Then you will eat the tax as well.

You're correct. So if you fight a $100 return and lose, you may not get the item back so would be out the cost of the item, shipping cost, the $10 in fvf and .50 in gst. In this situation I don't think my main concern would be whether or not I was going to be out the gst even if I was in an hst province. 

Message 102 of 130
latest reply

It is called nickel and diming from both sides.

Increase in store fees, raise in FVF's, discount for TRS cut in half and now tax on top of that.

And the more our shipping costs go up, so will all the other costs and fees that both Ebay and the government want to collect.

As I have said before, it is the fees on shipping and then tax on top of that which is getting absurd.

Of course Ebay will never remove the FVF on our high shipping costs as it comes off their bottom line.

I just sent an envelope to South Korea and if I wanted tracked packet, it would have been almost $75.00 for a 00 bubble envelope weighing less than 300 grams. I just sent it light packet, but I am sure in the next year or so, that will go away as well.

And of course, the gouging by all parties continues.

Message 103 of 130
latest reply

I lied, it was only $56

Message 104 of 130
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:
...I just sent an envelope to South Korea and if I wanted tracked packet, it would have been almost $75.00 $56.00 for a 00 bubble envelope weighing less than 300 grams. I just sent it light packet, but I am sure in the next year or so, that will go away as well.

Small packet beats Light packet for 201g-250g weights.

Price Comparison (assuming package weight between 251g and 300g)

To South Korea (zone 4)

201-300g .. 13.46 .. Light Packet

251-500g .. 16.34 .. Small packet (air) with a 25% discount (eBay through Shippo until Jan 15)

251-500g .. 18.07 .. Small packet (air) with 15% discount (Snap Ship until July 31)

251-500g .. 21.26 .. Small packet (air) (Paypal direct) or (Snap Ship after July 31)

251-500g .. 21.79 .. Small packet (air) over-the-counter

251-500g .. 37.85 .. Tracked packet with 15% discount (Snap Ship until July 31)

251-500g .. 44.54 .. Tracked packet (Paypal direct) or (Snap Ship after July 31)

No idea what the eBay (through Shippo) tracked rate will be.

251-500g .. 56.54 .. Tracked packet (over-the-counter)

* - Using tier1 Solutions for Small Business discount levels (as applicable)

-..-

Message 105 of 130
latest reply

I think you are missing my point. I don't need a comparison, but thank you.

My b----h is that Ebay charges a FVF on shipping which they have nothing to do with as far as a service goes. Now Ebay/gov't wants their pound of flesh on a service that Ebay does not provide, but charges for that is not always taxable to start with and then in some cases we have to pay Canada Post the tax to actually ship it.

How can the gov't condone charging tax on a service that is not provided by Ebay. Maybe if enough people complained, they might investigate. yea right.

Message 106 of 130
latest reply

There was a time many years ago when eBay only charged a FVF on the price of an item sold.

Then some sellers got very smart, and the cost of an item was reduced to $1.00 and the cost of shipping skyrocketed.

That was when eBay dropped the FVF from about 13-14 % to about 10 %, and this lower percentage was applied to the sum of item price plus shipping.

With international shipping the amount  due on shipping was calculated used the cost of shipping within Canada, and only this cost for postage. when the fee on shipping cost was calculated.

Putting  a FVF on shipping cost   stopped sellers from skyrocketing the cost of postage to escape the FVF on the price of an item alone.

Just a bit of history......

Message 107 of 130
latest reply

One has to look back on the history of FVF and realize that .....

In theory the FVF is only being charged on the price of the sold item....

Charging a lower  FVF on the total of Item price plus shipping is a procedure used to prevent sellers from evading fees by  skyrocketing the cost of shipping

Message 108 of 130
latest reply

How can the gov't condone charging tax on a service that is not provided by Ebay. Maybe if enough people complained, they might investigate. yea right.

There is not tax being charged on a service not provided by eBay because the fvf on shipping is not a shipping fee. Just like the fvf on the item, the shipping fvf is fee that ebay charges for providing a service on their site.  Shipping and item fvf are listed separately on an invoice but that is because we don't always pay fvf on the full shipping amount charged on the buyer's invoice, especially when selling to an international buyer.  Whether the fvf for each sale is listed in one lump sum (such as when an item has 'free' shipping) or broken down between the item and shipping, it is still an ebay fee, not a fee for shipping. 

I can understand that others see it differently but just explaining how I see it.

Message 109 of 130
latest reply

I have been here long enough to know the history and reasons THEY gave us. For the slimy few, we all had to pay, and it was a huge cash grab for Ebay and still is.

Maybe if they would have gotten rid of the slimy sellers, we would not be where we are today.

Enough said on this subject.

Message 110 of 130
latest reply

My point is that addition of gst on fees is not related to fvf on shipping and that imo it is not double dipping by the government.

Even if they had gotten rid of the sellers that avoided fees with high shipping costs, there would have still been an uneven playing field for sellers who wanted to include shipping in their item cost.  Why should sellers who included their shipping cost have to pay fvf on shipping and sellers who priced out the shipping cost separately not have to pay fees on shipping? eBay wanted to promote free shipping and they did so by giving an extra discount on fees for a while and also by changing the fee structure.

I didn't benefit in any way from the change, my fees went up but I do see the reasoning behind it.

Message 111 of 130
latest reply

There is no such thing as free shipping!

Whether someone wants to offer shipping included in price or shipping separate was totally their choice!

If our shipping was as cheap as the US, maybe I/we would not be witching so much.

You can believe what you like, but anything Ebay does helps no one except Ebay and anyone that believes otherwise, well ?.

To charge a fee on shipping is ridiculous and then to tax that fee is absurd and close to theft!

You guys and gals can say it is the government that charges tax but I can say it is Ebay that caused it with their idiotic shipping garbage.

Please tell me what service Ebay gives us for charging a FVF on the shipping?

Message 112 of 130
latest reply

dutchman48 - "To charge a fee on shipping is ridiculous"

We have all read your opinion on the subject several times over the last four years since eBay decided to follow the lead of Amazon on the fee structure by charging their fees on the total transaction value, not just the selling price.  A very large number of sellers agree with you.

As we all remember, eBay lowered the FVF on most transactions when they instituted their new policy.  Many sellers saw their fees go down as a result.  That would apply to sellers who were selling on a "free shipping" basis (shipping charge included in selling price) or those with a very small shipping cost in relation to value.  Also, because of higher shipping charges in Canada, it seems that Canadian sellers were negatively affected to a larger degree than their American competitors.

That said, there is nothing eBay or Amazon will do to change their fee structure.  Time to move on .

God grant me the serenity to accept

the things I cannot change,

courage to change the things I can,

and wisdom to know the difference.

Message 113 of 130
latest reply

As we all remember

Unfortunately many eBay sellers, especially the "malcontents" never remember that fee percentages went down, listing fees went down, TRS discounts came into effect, reduced fvf's fees for Stores and free listing were handed out by the boatload.

Personally my fvf's went up, my listings fees went down and bottom line my fees did increase slightly.

Other sellers I know saw significant fees decreases, a few, those who sold cheap items with high shipping saw big increases. When you have to have a fee structure in place that covers MILLIONS of sellers it's impossible to design it where everyone comes out even or ahead.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 114 of 130
latest reply

According to CRA  definition of  small supplier, the $30,000 revenue threshold is per quarter, not annually as you and many others have stated. Am I reading that incorrectly?

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/businesses/topics/gst-hst-businesses/definition...

Small supplier

A small supplier refers to a person whose revenue (along with the revenue of all persons associated with that person) from worldwide taxable supplies was equal to or less than $30,000 ($50,000 for public service bodies) in a calendar quarter and over the last four consecutive calendar quarters.

Message 115 of 130
latest reply

You are misunderstanding the message.

Please call the CRA for clarification.

Message 116 of 130
latest reply

That page you gave is definitions of terms used by the CRA.

The you page want is:

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/businesses/topics/gst-hst-businesses/register-a...

Basically:

Fast growth:

Exceed $30000 in one calender quarter you must start collecting tax with sale that pushed you over the limit.

Slow growth:

Exceed $30000 in the previous 4 quarters (one year) must start collecting tax in the next quarter.

-..-

Message 117 of 130
latest reply

Buyer buys 10 items and pays shipping 10 times (because Ebay wants payment now). Ebay does not refund that so if you do, you eat the FVF's on shipping and now the tax as well!

You are refunding the buyer the difference in the charged cost of shipping ($20) and the actual cost of shipping ($15).

The difference is not $5.

The difference is $5 MINUS your other costs like eBay fees and taxes of fees, extra packaging and labour (18 cents a minute).

You refund the customer less than $5. in other words, and eat nothing.

That's the practical side.

The customer doesn't know your actual costs for shipping and handling. She just knows that you offered Free Shipping and then she got a rebate (note: not a refund) for making a multiple purchase.

That's the customer relations side.

Message 118 of 130
latest reply

I know I'm replying to Pierre, but if anyone else can answer, by all means, please do. Also, these may be stupid questions, but I have to ask, please be kind.

I know that all sellers who have a store and pay a monthly fee, now have GST/HST added to the invoice. Since we all receive a monthly bill, are the FVF's/listing fee's(if any) plus GST/HST added up every month, and charged at the end of the billing cycle.

Or are the taxes charged, when we sell an item, or pay for a listing? Why are we charged taxes daily, or per transaction?

With all the rounding up done on the taxes for every transaction, since we are billed every month, do we end up paying more than we should?

I guess my real question is why doesn't ebay add up all the fee's at the end of the month, then charge the proper taxes when they send us their bill? Yes it only pennies involved, but every one counts imho.

Lastly, I agree it is what it is, and I do not really mind paying whatever taxes I owe, but is that the way it's supposed/designed to be? Tia.

Message 119 of 130
latest reply

Sale taxes on fees now apply to ALL Canadian sellers (store or non-store is not different).

Taxes are assessed on each transaction fee as they occur.

Pennies round up or down. A coin no longer used in Canada.

Take a look at whether it makes sense for you as a seller to register for GST.  If  registered, the sales tax you pay on eBay fees is an Input Tax Credit (ITC) and subtracted from the sales tax charged on Canadian sales. If you sell a lot of stuff outside Canada, the government could end up refunding you tax money.

-..-

Message 120 of 130
latest reply