How do I return someones money that was sent through paypal?

Someone sent me a payment through paypal but I had already sold the item privately and am not good at working ebay so did not know how to remove it.  How do I return the payment they sent me?  I did not accept it or anything but they said it still came out of their bank account.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Your item sold on eBay for $110

You will be responsible to pay eBay fees of $11 (10%)

Your listing indicated you accept PayPal as a method of payment.  The buyer paid and the money was automatically deposited into your PayPal account (minus PayPal fees).

You have to accept responsibility for listing and selling on eBay.  "am not good at working ebay" is a poor excuse.

I suggest you immediately contact Customer Support (link in upper right corner of this page) and explain the circumstances. 

They may be able to help. 

Then you will have to do the same with PayPal.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

First contact your buyer and apologize.

Then refund the payment through Paypal. This is on the same page that you would use to start making a shipping label.

Then let your customer know that you have refunded and apologize again.

Your customer may be nice about this. If he leave neutral or positive feedback, leave positive feedback. "Thank you for your quick payment and helpful attitude." might work.

Neutral feedback doesn't hurt you. Your feelings but not your account.

If he leaves negative feedback, well, live with it . You messed up. Leave no feedback.

If he leaves vicious feedback you may be able to get it removed. This is more important because he may also have trashed your Detailed Seller Ratings.  pierre has given you the address to appeal such nasty feedback.

Technically you could add a Response to any feedback. Don't. Responses when you messed up only draw attention to the negative remarks.

If you are selling on multiple platforms, you will make these mistakes from time to time. It is important to be very vigilant about your listings and end them promptly on all sites, when you sell on one.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply