Is anyone else finding slow sales for the past 2 weeks?

Slow sales = watching paint dry.  I even put all my stuff on sale and the only people who are buying live in Norway, UK or Australia.  I guess they turned out the light for Canada and the US.  Sales down 75% since mid Sept.  Normally I start getting busy now for Christmas. 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine are way down. Trying different ways to spur sales...not working though! As a seller, I am looking at all the dynamics out on the playing field that would affect buying activity but that's a continual work in progress to find "the smoking gun" because I think that there are a few of them...lol....but I hope it picks up soon!

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

My September has been dismal, and only 4 days to improve, which isn't likely I think.  

In over 10 years of selling on eBay, September has always been one of my best months, so I see this as not as an issue of lack of exposure or lack of marketing, but a reflection of external factors.  I sell mainly to the U.S., and I think that when people feel chaos and trouble around them, and believe their country (and the world?) is on the brink of disintegration into conflict or even war (Korea), and/or coping with enormous natural disasters, any of which could cripple the economy, discretionary spending drops off.  

I saw a very clear correlation in this last year, almost as soon as Trump was nominated.  Things recovered for me during the early fall, and then there was another sales dead zone for several weeks after he was elected. 

I do think much of this worry and anxiety spills over into Canada.  Unfortunately, if the U.S. is in political chaos and its economy becomes shaken, that will affect us all.  And will affect a company like eBay, which relies on impulse shopping and sales of non-essentials.  I know it's not much comfort, but the same sort of sales drought is occurring and being reported by sellers on another site on which I list. 

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Feels like a weak September sale month but ebay is still stronger for me than the A-river where my sales despite various marketing efforts completely vanished since the Labour Day weekend.

This month compared to last year my global sales are down 50% but my USA sales are up by about 30%

Predicting sales is like throwing darts while blindfolded...  at a dart board that may or may not exist...

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Yes, September was below average with the exception of one "big" sale. September is usually a very strong month for me.

Sales have been up and down all year starting with the postal disruption last July/August. Followed by a malicious Presidential campaign. Americans as well as Canadians have suffered post election stress disorder.

Unfortunately, the Trump Effect has overriden the strong US Economy. Combine that with Hurricanes, Earthquakes and the potential of war between the USA and North Korea and it all spells trouble in Ecommerce Land.       

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I've been pretty busy-- but maybe all the stamp money has been sucked up by our public auction yesterday.

20130224_3.jpg

Which sold for $285,000 A Canadian and maybe world record - three different bidders
at $275, $280, and $285,000. Beating  previous record by $90,000

And add 15% buyer's premium.

Sorry about that.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

September has been really slow despite similar traffic stats to prior months. Lots of ebay system changes effecting listings over the last month but they don't seem to have hit listing impressions hard. Changes were made to the interest feeds generated from followed searches/sellers semi-recently with the homepage link being renamed. Wonder if that effected some buyers who didn't take note of the changes.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

I've been pretty busy-- but maybe all the stamp money has been sucked up by our public auction yesterday.

20130224_3.jpg

Which sold for $285,000 A Canadian and maybe world record - three different bidders

Sorry about that.

Congrats!  I knew you had a big item up for auction and was wondering how it turned out.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

All for a tiny scrap of printed paper, unbelievable, but congratulations.  How do you do the hand-over?  With armed guards and 007-style solid metal briefcases with key-code locks? 

I'm trying to picture how this delicate bit of ephemera actually changes hands.  Unlike, say, a diamond necklace, I'd be a tad worried about someone sneezing the wrong way.  

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

2 comics were stolen in southern Ontario the other day. Retail value $300,000. Old scarce baseball cards are very expensive as well.

Not the norm however as many more are just wall paper.

Those type of items all sell well but only to wealthy people. It is out of the realm for most collectors.

If I could win a lottery, I would be purchasing all kings of items like that, but oh well, has not happened yet.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Have you ever read The Purloined Letter?

When it was returned to Canada for auction, DH carried it in a small stockbook in his pocket.

The CBSA agents were fascinated too, and asked to see the stamps (there were actually a few other items) after the usual brokerage paperwork was done.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Have you ever read The Purloined Letter?

When it was returned to Canada for auction, DH carried it in a small stockbook in his pocket.

I can't say that I've read The Purloined Letter -- now I'll have to look for it! 

Wasn't your DH just a wee bit concerned about that stockbook slipping out of a pocket?  Or dropping it in the loo on the plane -- OMG!!!

I'm trying to imagine how much the insurance on such a small, so easily lost or damaged item like this would be.  On the other hand, I suppose with over $250K auction proceeds, the insurance by comparison is peanuts. 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

My sales have been low the past 6-8 weeks, although it seemed to pick up slightly this week....late summer and then back to work/school stuff maybe?

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Yes September was terribly disappointing as it is usually a month when sales pick up but not this year. My sales in the summer were not too bad considering it was summer but September is about the same as summer and should be better. Was considering upgrading my store for a few months but now having second thoughts - not sure the sales will cover the extra costs. Sure hope it gets better now that October is here but not holding my breath. Not sure what the problem is.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply