My inquiry is in relation to the global shipping program .

srm2040
Community Member

My inquiry is in relation to the global shipping program .I have recently decided to start selling internationally on ebay .But i find it hard to understand why the shipping cost are so expensive .Please could you provide me

with comprehensive information on how i can utlize the potentials offered by the  Ebay GSP . To make selling for me easy .I have tried to get some paid lectures on it , But as it appears its easier for a seller in the States to sell and ship the

same product via GSP due to the fact that they can easily ship to Kentucky and have it processed for international shipment -But it becomes more cumbersome for a Canadian to sell the same product.  I would greatly appreciate some advice

and maybe materials to further aid my hope to become a seller on ebay . Thanks

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: My inquiry is in relation to the global shipping program .

eBay GSP is only available to US or UK sellers. Plus it is really only good for high priced items since it is too expensive for buyers of low priced goods. Canadian sellers can’t use it and Cdn. buyers mostly dislike it.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

The GSP is a huge benefit for Canadian sellers because we can't use it.

As a result, overseas customers will find our listings less expensive than those of a US seller who does use it.

But as it appears its easier for a seller in the States to sell and ship the same product via GSP due to the fact that they can easily ship to Kentucky and have it processed for international shipment

Not really.

The shipping cost is paid by the buyer. Not the seller.

But the seller chooses the shipping service to cover both speed and security*.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

The GSP charges the customer  import fees which cover the customer's duty and sales taxes (plus a reasonable service fee of ~$5).

It offers Seller Protection against false claims of non-delivery and some protection against customs-related claims.

It offers few benefits to the buyer.

And buyers, especially Canadian buyers HATE it.

You are too new to eBay to do international shipping.

I also think your product (university textbooks) would have no relevance to students outside North America.

You may want to check price and availablity of those books here:

http://used.addall.com/

It's an accumulator site covering a few dozen other sites. Don't look a the high prices, look at how many copies are available for less than $10 or even $1.

That's the competition.

Don't try to ship internationally until you have at least 10 DSRs and know what DSRs mean.

Would you like to hear the Good News about Cookie Jar Insurance?

*NEVER ship by Surface Mail. It's too expensive to lose both your payment and your item when the buyer wins an Item Not Received Dispute after two months in transit.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

As others have said you cannot use the gsp unless you are in the US or the UK. I also agree that until you have some ebay selling experience it would be best to ship to the US and Canada only.

Right now you are shipping to Canada only and your postage prices are very high. For example, a 30x30x6cm - 1 kg package should cost you about $13 to send to me in Alberta yet your shipping costs are all showing me $26-$35.

You should use calculated shipping within Canada because there is such a difference between pricing from coast to coast. If you apply for a Canada Post small business rate than you print your labels online and receive a bit of discount. The discount varies depending on the site and on the service being used.

Within Canada you can also use lettermail if your package is less than 2cm in depth. There is no delivery confirmation.

If you ship to the US you can use small packet air or tracked packet for packages under 1 kg and expedited parcel USA for packages over 1 kg. Small packet does not have delivery confirmation so if the buyer puts in a claim because they haven't received the item, you cannot prove that they did.  Many sellers do ship from Canada without delivery confirmation if the item is under a certain dollar value but that is totally up to you as there is some risk involved.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

They are DVD with Professors teaching
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Unfortunately both your prices and shipping charges are not competitive.

Canadians can buy these same items directly from the publisher for a fraction of the prices you are asking.  They send catalogues every two months or so offering up to 85% off.  I have a large collection of these DVD (and books that come with them) on a wide variety of subject.  Many I have given to family members over the years.

Great value..... but not at the price (and shipping charge) you are asking.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply